Testing the Octane theory

Horton

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

@horton : I own a service center for inboard ski/wake boats. You're right, it is hard to understand how I can afford a '19 SN w/6.2.

As mentioned my daughter is an elite skier in her division (has been for 10 years now). Her equipment is new and our ropes are changed at least yearly. Having the latest/greatest for her is important, imo. However, I don't believe she is losing any buoys skiing behind our boat powered by 87 octane vs. 93. If I thought it made a difference I'd pay for premium.

Again, you are correct, my ski is a 2017 or 18 GT. Tried new skis and skied w/i a couple buoys of my old one (some no improvement at all) so determined it wasn't the bow but the indian. Decided the GT was good enough for me to re-learn to ski. Was getting back to running more than 2 or 3 @ 35 when a bike accident took me out this year. Glad a brand new $2K ski isn't sitting collecting dust in the closet.

@DW funny I had Ramen last night along w/a cereal bar (missed dinner w/kids/wife, this time of year that is pretty common). I do like Spam and PBJ so maybe will take a trip to the store to pick some up for dinner tonight. Btw/fyi I usually don't post on BOS because your comments are often what I would write. I appreciate your expertise and enjoy your comments.

• Administrators

@Inboardfix and hey I don't mean to be completely snarky. it just seems like for skiers are into deep shoreline and who spent the money for expensive boats it's stepping over a dime to save a penny to run cheap gas..... unless the whole high octane thing is a boondoggle. I'm not 100% sure what the truth is but as I've said since the beginning of this thread when guys better than me say it makes a difference that carries a lot of weight.

We put so much energy into the sport that the extra cost of maybe a dollar per ski ride seems irrelevant especially if it makes a difference.

• Baller

I don't think the comparisons of top speed or 0-60/quarter mile times says anything relevant here. For those types of runs, the engine rpm is running through max torque and HP levels where pulled timing would undoubtedly make a difference. We ski at a steady mid RPM (much lower than either max torque or HP). I'm not ruling out that there might be a difference, but I believe it would be subtle at best.

That said, here at Okeeheelee tournaments, we purchase the recommended fuel for the boats used on our tournaments. I have been chief driver for all but one tournament this year (and handled the fuel ordering for the other one) and have specified premium for the Nautique and Mid-Grade for the other boats as recommended by the manufacturers.

• Baller

@Horton - Mid recommended, Regular okay to use unless the boat is heavily laden (not the case for 3-event). I have a 16 ProStar and regular is okay. The new 6.0 Ilmor says any grade but premium recommended for best performance. We used premium.

sxby9zpz6ul2.jpg

• Baller_

vcsz3bi2l1dk.jpg

What 27 gals of 93 looks like! My 300,000 mile 8.1 suburban loves the stuff!!

I don't mind putting that in the old burb, I have no car payments at all!!

@Inboardfix

Emmm!!! Nothing like a fried spam, lettuce and tomato sammich...

Spam, eggs and hash browns!! Add in some canned corned beef hash...

Life is good!!

• Baller

some more food for thought...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/is-canadian-gas-better-than-american-gas/article13224927/

"Shell V-Power in Canada currently does not contain any Ethanol. In Washington State, both main grade and V-Power would contain 10 per cent Ethanol."

"Shell and other mainstream refiners are constantly adjusting their fuels on an almost weekly basis"

"Shell says that there are environmental differences between the regulations as well. "The federal limit on benzene in gasoline is currently lower in Canada than the U.S., so our levels of benzene are lower; typically we are also lower in sulphur content than in the U.S."

• Administrators
again totally on scientific and maybe the result of other factors but I'm skiing substantially better since I went back to 91. I ran 5 at 38 three times in a row just now. Six would have been much more rewarding but it's still freaking solid for me this year.

• Baller
Zero off is heavily integrated with the engine ECU. I would be be surprised if it was doing more than just moving the throttle. For example let’s say you accelerate to set point and instead of backing the throttle butterflies back to speed you partially back the butterflies and fuel off but also retard the timing 10 degrees. Then you have INSTANT power available just by advancing the timing even as you wait for the butterflies to open when commanded. If stuff like that is going on then that could explain why having more headroom in timing (from increased octane) makes more difference than it should to feel. Does anybody know?