Black Mildew Upholstery

ErikBerghiller

• Baller
StarBrite makes a great mildew stain remover for just that situation. Spray on and let it sit in the sun a bit . I always keep a bottle on hand. Available at most sporting goods stores and used to be even at Walmart. Or Amazon

• Baller

Apparently I needed to try starbrite. I tried Marine 31 mildew remover without much luck.

I did have some good success with babes mildew master with their upholstery brush. Unfortunately, I don't see the brush I got listed on their site anymore. It had fair thick plastic bristles that were sort of rounded at the tip.

k75vdkwgztod.jpg

8m9cmsp5vmgv.jpg

• Baller

You need to get an upholstery brush and a dual action polisher. You can get the polisher at harbor freight. It's well worth the investment. I use it to polish and wax the boat and cars. Way better than doing by hand.

An upholstery attachment is super soft and I use it on my boat seats to get into the texture and clean out the sweat and dirt that a normal quick wipe down doesn't do.

• Baller
My personal experience with black stains on my SN196 is that it required bleach and TONs of elbow grease. We used straight bleach followed up by lots of water to rinse it off. The mildew on our boat was “baked” on and very tough to get off - so we used what we had available right away (6 years ago). We did not try the starbright cleaner - so not sure how that works or what the active ingredient is. A dual action polisher might keep you from getting sore elbows and take the stains out quicker. Totally Awesome worked on another boat we have as an overall cleaning. Just be sure to rinse very well with plenty of water. Best wishes in getting that stuff off. Let us know how it goes!

• Baller
I honestly scrubbed the crap out of mine this weekend. Wasn’t as bad as yours but in the end the only thing that worked was magic eraser. Worked awesome. Jus don’t scrub really hard or the sponge will tear apart. Just a ton of light passes and all the mold came off.

• Baller

Carpet, with all-composite boats , just tilt the trailer, can give it a vigorous soapy scrubing and hosing. Something like simple green-D is strong/mild enough, with enough residual to inhibit new growth.

Flush out the bilge in a responsible manner

Then let it bake out in the sun well.

The mildew in the pores of the vinyl are nearly impossible to remove. Starbrite will take the farthest. Some of the vinyl in my Nautique has pores, some not. Sad to see this is still an issue on newer boats. Mine is a 2000.