2022 Radar Vapor Boots - unboxing

Horton

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Hey @Horton can you do a follow up video with the front boot on a reflex plate with the release mechanism? I’ll have to dig through my stash of super secret pics to find the ones I have. I think skiers here will really want to see that option set up. Also how easy is it to release from the rear with the top half of shell removed?

• Baller
@Horton ….Actually that’s the word I just got. Can be used with reflex but they can’t promote due to liability . If u look hard you will see a couple pros running though Found my pics but after being told that I will not post them

• Baller

@C5Quest if thats true I hope they get their own plate out or simply show the feature in the instructions with a disclaimer that the release should only be used by experienced individuals with professional set up in controlled tournament conditions blah blah Not to be construed as legal guidance but including the feature but not testing or advising is bad.

Consider if a car comes with a 2" trailer receiver and a manual that doesn't clearly mention or discuss the receiver. A buyer would reasonably assume the receiver is intended to be used to tow. Stating that the receiver is only for off road use or bike racks changes the scenario but inclusion of the feature is problematic. Better to state heel ledge interface is to be used only for tournament skiing in controlled conditions by experienced skiers when properly set. Or sell the ledge as a bolt on part separately with its own instructions.

• Baller

Could you tell us if the sole is thickner/ thinner compare to the 2021 vapor and if it's completely flat inside the boot ( no protrusions for the t-nuts inserts)? Overall weight?

Thanks!

• Baller

Awesome design on allowing the heel to flex. I find the current one too stiff and prefer more forward and back motion - BINGO!!

I am so glad they modified the Vapor boots, because I literally ripped out the back rubber on two of my old Strada boots this year and have one left (now with glued seams) with an older Vapor (Black and Blue with rubber back) and I was just thinking about what to do next. I have two Sequence plates setup and take both to lake just in case I tear one...

I was a double boot guy for 45 years until I tried the Radar Hybrid RTP last year. Just didn't get comfortable on a regular RTP.

Radar truly is making some innovative products and their customer service is second to none.

• Baller

@C5Quest I'm wondering "what liability"? Liability from injury claims or patent infringement?

Don't bindings come with the disclaimer "could cause injury or death" anymore?

If they designed it so it fits a Reflex release I would think they could be liable if they sold it even if they don't claim compatibility. If it "coincidentally" fits into a Reflex release, yeah lawyers can see through that. Then I wonder about patent claims. Reflex didn't design the release after all...

Definitely a cool design if it does fit Reflex, though!

• Baller
Just the word I got from someone in the know. Didn’t get all the details. As I’ve mentioned before, there are a couple pros using the set up already. Look hard at the start dock vids of this year’s tournaments. So I guess it’s already proven to work. Use at own risk and wrap yourself with a warning label.

• Baller

@BraceMaker yes, the toe cap is removable and actually allows for interchangeable sizes to adjust boot sizing. The cuff is removable also. Of note the cuff can be fixed position or articulating.

@Ray the bottom might be slightly thicker, and I was told there is an insert to make the inside sole flat but I did not take the liner out.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

I wonder if they upgraded the boa to a heavier model. I have been using the vapor on a MOB for a couple years now. Overall I love that setup. However, when using the boot with a release, you want to be tightened down more than using without so that is DOESN"T allow you to slip out in a fall (of course part of that is changing out the bungee laces on the top.) I wore out 2 boa ratchets and the wire was tearing through the loops within a year. I ended up removing all of that and purchased a reflex buckle kit to replace and that works great. Also, concerning the tighter use with a release....is the rubbery material on the back different? Radar has always had issues with that material on various boots. Mine has held up pretty well, but again tightening the cuff for a release system beyond what it is designed for (being a slip out boot) how is that going to hold up, or if they are setting that up for use with a release....is it a heavier material? Mine is starting to tear after 3 years, but I know it wasn't designed to be that tight 3 years ago.

The other thought I have is....the convertible thing is neat, but how likely are you to change back and forth. If you want a 1/2 boot, thats what you are going to use for a while. The vapor boot isn't cheap. If a 1/2 boot can be manufactured and sold for less instead of paying full price for a full boot, that would help our wallets.....

• Baller

@ScottScott think of it this way. I’m sure the top cuff is the same for left and right. That gives you a spare. Also this idea makes it easier to stock and build due to less options. I’m sure the cost for the boot without the cuff would be hardly worth considering.

It’s kind of crazy how others think that the boot should last forever. 3 years of skiing is about the max for the rubber piece around the back of your calf. It does have a 2 year warranty.

9i48zni5j1kh.jpg

5rbb7qahmg38.jpg

Got front and back boots a couple weeks ago. Super sweet boots - nice and stiff. Skiing partner just got the Intuition Vapor liners for his Strada shells. Both of us are having issues on the outside of out legs above the ankle bone - sharp edge pressure point what seems from the plastic fin inside the boot that holds the liners - feels like that fin is digging in through the Intuition Vapor liner above the ankle reinforcement of the liner. NB each run is 100+ turns (7km) at 35 mph, so we make lots a turn a day.

• Baller

@skierjp Based on my experience, the boot lasted 3 years (and I still have some life left in it, can probably make another mod and get another year or 2, who knows) while using it in a way it wasn't designed. I'm not complaining about that. However, if they are making it compatible with a release system, I would be disappointed if some things weren't beefed up a little to make it last longer when used in that manner. Maybe they have, in which case.... great job!!! Just making some observations based on my use of the previous model on a release. Previous models were over $300 (I believe the most expensive boot on the market,) I'm assuming this model will be as much as (if not more than) previous years. If I'm paying that much, and using it as intended, I would hope it will be with me a little while.

Again, for a boot over $300, and the number of 1/2 boot options for way less than $200....the convertible thing seems a little silly. I would hope that that flexibility doesn't increase the price...... (it does make a handsom matching set tho....but I'm not paying that much extra for them to match.)

• Baller

The boots are solid. I tried them on at nationals and they felt amazing. This think is going to be a game changer. The rigidity of the hard shell base but the flexibility you need in the cuff. I’ll be running them with the reflex release and I’ll try the hybrid rear by taking the cuff off if I can get my boot close enough.

The BOA is super beefed up compared to previous carbitex boots.

The amazing thing is the bottom is so flat and wide that the connection to the ski is unmatched.

• Baller

Looks good. Questions:

Is the toe flexible enough to mount the rear boot super close to the front heal?

Do they still use the custom intuition liner and insert?

Is the lower boot a plastic shell or some sort of Carbitex?

Any update to the Boa system?

Is the upper bungee stretchy?

Is a stiff bungee available if using the Reflex release?

• Baller
@ALPJr They have their own liner, which I believe is an intuition that they have added some coating or treatment or something.... A standard intuition will work, there are additions/advantages to theirs. At least thats they way its been the last couple years.

• Baller

As I see in the club regular Carbitex boot is 100% reliable in OTF fall. Reflex release is also good for OTF, though has few questions (say softly) in twisted fall.

Here we say - it is like adding oil to the buter :)

My dreame is to see in the nearest future hardshell waterski boot that reliably releases in all directions. Same as alpine boot.

Now in the field of "3D release" we have only MOB (which is nice idea), but it just a binding that do not have any matched to it "out-of-the-box" boot.

• Baller

@ScottScott Why not? Standartization is a global trend, hard to resist. Back in time waterski bindings attached to ski with self-tapping screws. Now nearly each ski has a holes pattern and we can attach almost all "out-of-the-box" boot" to virtually any ski on the market. Why not to go further to situation in alpine ski world?

And... I did not mean that various boot mathced to same plate is negative! It is opposite - good thend!

The only thing I said - I wait for real 3D releade plate and many boots as options.

• Baller

@OldboyII I'd love to see standards so you could clip into someone else's ski and give it a rip. That'd be a huge change to be able to try any new ski by just clipping on and setting your release number.

@DaddyC are you saying you have this new Radar product or just that you bought new of the older product and its rubbing you?

@BraceMaker these are new out of the box from a few weeks ago. Attempting to put insole in shell and liner on top to see if that helps. Top image below is insole in liner - bottom image is insole in shell and liner on top. Not plastic fin in shell