Grassroots

Dockoelboto

• Baller

I had the opportunity to participate in the grassroots part of a tournament this past weekend.

What a great experience! I am a terrible skier, I can occasionally make a pass at 28/15 but the community and event were great. Very supportive, helpful and it was a great experience.

I'd encourage anyone who has the chance, regardless of level/skill or prior experience to give it a try!

I'll definitely do it again.

• Baller

Grassroots tournament can begin an addiction.

I think manufacturers should focus on these more than they do.

So, what happened for me after a Grassroots tournament:

I now own a house on a private ski Lake

I could not begin to list the boats and equipment over the past 35 years

travel to the Nationals and tournaments

I compromised or adjusted my work so I could ski

You may want to consider a 12-step program before you get too far into this

but then again

hey

there's nothing like glass in the morning

Namaste

• Baller

Just attended a Class C tournament at Silent Shores in Thorntown, Indiana. They always advertise a "grassroots" section." We had 7 grassroots skiers who were guaranteed 4 passes for each round. Two brothers were competing against each other. One mature skier participated by skiing the course for second time this past summer.....he was all smiles. All of the grassroots skiers stated that they enjoyed watching the more accomplished skiers between each round. Grassroots level events and our "Monday Night Ski Leagues" are always well attended. ncwyiayfi3kv.jpg

oeigwvwzcat3.jpg

• Baller
@Tracks72 the grassroots participants generally start the tournament (at least in my limited experience). You get 4 passes, if you miss getting up, they will come back for you. If you crash they will pick you up unless it is on your last pass. There really isn't a great setup for coaching on the boat but if there are multiple rounds you do get to go again. There are going to be many good skiers and some may watch you and I'm sure you could get some tips. Plus watching good skiers live alone can be very helpful. As far as finding tournaments, there is a website that shows all sanctioned tournaments, I can't recall exactly what site it is.

• Baller
A practice day and a 4 pass min. are great ways to get non tourney, open water skiers involved. The practice / coaching / demo day is where the local dealers, manufacturers and pros/coaches can connect with enthusiasts. The more grassroots the better.

• Baller_
We always add a “GR” section in the running order. You”ll see it listed in the schedule of events. I always try to put the right boat judge in for coaching purposes. Like others have stated, it is where the addiction begins for some, and a great place to start for others. A GR group is free as part of the sanction, and freebie/giveaways used to be provided by AWSA if requested.