learning how to weave

Horton

• Administrators

Some of you guys saw GiveGo lesson that Fred Winter did with my daughter. In it you can clearly see the boat path is not straight. It has been an interesting experience for me as a boat driver always working to help her keep a tight line. It is not weaving to give the skier extra room at the ball. It is weaving to make sure that the pylon is moving away from the skier at apex and keeping the line tight.

Clearly this is something that does not belong in tournaments but when helping a skier learn a hard pass it is gold. I drove a friend to a PB the other day using a similar technique but much more subtle. The Ski Path ( not SurePath ) deviation was less than 15 cm at each ball but I was actually using the same rhythm as I do with my daughter. Technically I was probably pattern driving but it was in tolerance and not in a tournament.

I guess what I'm saying is weaving my 7-year-old has theoretically made me a better driver for higher end skiers.

• Baller

I do this a good bit with my girlfriend who is working on adding full course buoys to her mini course passes. As you say, not moving toward the buoys to give more room, but moving a little toward the buoy so you can move away at apex (keeping a tight line, but also giving a little extra sling to help them get across course.) I can't say I do it well....but I try....

People talk negative about the ski school weave, but a good coach will do this with students learning a harder pass, then gradually give less and less assistance, especially for those new to the course. Of course how much weave is relative to the level of the skier.

• Baller
A good weave in training can be helpful. At a ski school I think it goes beyond just keeping people happy. You don't learn much floating in the water while a good weave might keep.you in your hardest pass long enough to get a feel for it.. I think a good weave is a bit like a cheater loop and can help you get a feel for the pass. As an adult though I like to know when it's happening.

• Administrators
well that's just be clear that if you're weaving especially at short line and the skier doesn't know, it's a super bad idea. it is a training aid but should not be used to give people a false sense of what they're doing.

• Baller

@Cam That video was the 1st completed course for that skier who likely wouldn't have rounded 1/2 those buoys without that level of help. I'm sure he was super excited to complete his 1st pass and was motivated to continue progression. I have seen numerous skiers new to course skiing that Jodi has helped get through the course for the 1st time (like the one in the video,) and continue and progress to the point they could get through with little to no help. Many of which skied in their 1st tournament in Joid's grass roots tournament with high quality tournament drivers. I've also sat in the boat watching Freek School and Siani Oliver with jodi driving a path that would make sure path happy (no coincidence, within the months before Siani made the podium at Moomba.)

Quoted from the comments in that video "it all part of our program to teach the angles, the rhythm, the timing and the confidence, now the skiers can make all the buoys in the course. Throughout the week, we will straighten the path and the skier knows they can make it and will continue to follow their same path now they have been there.

It's a proven learning process that cuts down the learning time by more than 50%. There is a method to it and it works the best out of any other way to reach the goal of running the course.

You first have to do whatever it takes to get the skier around the buoys and then straighten the boat out and alter the boat speed less and less. Otherwise it will take the skier far longer to figure it out and most loose interest before they complete the course. Trust me, Iv thought 1000's of skiers to learn the course in much less time this way and they go on to become great slalom course skiers. It a program Iv spent thirty years developing and had huge success with it."

I think interesting to note in the video is that as the skier is rounding the buoy the boat is almost back to center line. The weave is more to help the skier gain speed across course than it is give the skier more room to get out to the buoy.

• Administrators

@Bruce_Butterfield

no what I'm saying is with a short line skier I had never never never really worked on letting the boat move away from the skier at Apex to help them. driving my 7-year-old opened my eyes to the timing. now with my 7-year-old I probably move the boat 35 cm whereas with a short line skier I might move the boat 10 cm. in the end driving my 7-year-old is what cemented the concept in my mind