Best "big" ski boat

duffbeerisgood

• Baller

We are a family of 5 waterskiers looking for a bigger direct drive boat. We have a lot of wake boats on our lake and I would also like something that can handle the bigger wakes when cruising in the afternoon. But with ageing knees I don't want to sacrifice on the ski wake.

I am mostly familiar with MasterCraft and have been looking at the 214 but they are hard to come by. Any other recommendations on a 20+ dd ski boat?

• Baller
We currently have an outboard ski boat which actually is not horrible but does have noticeable bump when crossing. Also we are mostly recreational skiers as there is not a course on our lake and we typically ski around 30 - 32 mph. With that said some of my kids are starting to get good and I want to help them get to the next level. And as I said earlier my knees could use a break from the bump :)

• Baller
I had a 03 Nautique 206. It slalomed very well except really slow speeds (under 25) for my kids. Footed great. Was just the right amount of wake when sacked up for wake and kneeboarding. I view that model as the best all around usage boat although my friends '19 Malibu TXI does it all very and is roomy. My 200 slaloms better, but we took a step back in barefoot, wake sports and general flow within the boat.

• Baller

No one has said it yet so I will.

Find a ‘99-‘04 Malibu Sunsetter LXi. 21’8” overall but sitting on a 20’ Response hull with lots more room.

Has to have the LXi designation to get the notched hull.

End of search. You won’t regret it.

n45wd8xktkby.jpeg

• Baller

@duffbeerisgood depending on the weight of your current boat, the wakes may not be that bad. A direct drive wake will also be a fairly different shape. I'd suggest you try actually skiing behind anything you consider just to make sure you're not surprised later. Good suggestions here on boat models by folks already.

If you work on your own boat, you'll also be happy with a DD. By far the easiest boats to work on... The driving experience between a DD and outboard is also dramatically different. Don't let that freak you out if you've never driven one. With a little learning it gets to be very natural.

• Baller
@duffbeerisgood Malibu Sunsetter LXi as said before. Nothing else is close to the space, freeboard, and versatility with excellent wakes. It really is far and away the best family DD ever produced if wakes and space are both priorities.

• Baller

If you're about to post about some larger boat you think is great, but you've never skied behind a '99-04 Sunsetter LXi, I'm not sure your opinion counts.

Yes, in most boat categories, SN and Mastercraft come out on top. But not his one. And yes, I've skied a SN 206, a (meh) MC X14/214 and (augh) a Sport Nautique. None are in the Sunsetter LXi's league. I wished they'd kept making them, so you didn't have to buy (at best) a 17 year old boat.

• Baller

@web I think @andjules is saying if you haven't skied/driven the alternatives maybe the opinion doesn't matter as much? I have a friend who has a Sunsetter Lxi, a nephew that has my brother's former Sport Nautique, and a friend with a Nautique 206--so I've driven/skied them all. I'm also old enough (ugh) that I skied tournaments behind the 206 during the short time Nautique used it as their promo boat.

• Baller
The Sunsetter LXI skis great. Wakes a maybe little smaller than the Sport or 206 Nautiques around that time. Having said that the ones I’ve been in don’t have the build quality of the Nautiques and are rattle traps in Public lakes

• Baller
Don't confuse sunsetter LX with Lxi. Lxis were made between 99 and 04. Honestly I agree with @andjules , there has never been a "big" DD that skis like a sunsetter Lxi. I've had a couple. I can't believe I sold them. So big, so versatile, and skied so good. Do NOT consider the 05 and beyond sunsetter Lxis. Huge difference. They're more on par with the 209, 214, and 206 offerings.

• Baller

I am looking for similar type boat for family. Never have had the opportunity to ski behind a 99-04 sunsetter but sounds like it was a great boat I am curious of the wake size at slower speeds for kiddos on course also -22 and shorter at 34 compared to say a newer SN 200.

Sounds like it is safer in rougher water and an overall good boat.

Anyone ever use one at altitude >5000?

Thanks !

• Baller

I think it is worth pointing out that the Sunsetter LXI was the best skiing large boat at the turn of the century. Two of my friends have them. Since then, the TXI, Prostar and Nautiques have gotten larger. All are 20’ to avoid flotation requirements, they have added width for space and wake. Depending on where you want the space the late model boats may serve you well. Improvements in rough water handling will be limited given the goals in the course.

• Baller
@vtjc that's a good point. But none of those boats are as comfortable for passengers, hanging out, etc if that's important. Sunsetter LXi has a large sundeck and trunk (storage), a rear bench that's not right down on the floor, observer and driver seats that are at a comfortable thigh angle, plush upholstery, etc. I get from the OP that he's looking for a boat that could sortof "do it all." If you rarely plan on having more than 3 people on board, then I agree 100% that the newer tourney boats could be a good option. They're big.

• Baller

Sunsetter Lxi's in the right year-range are old and getting older (at least 18 years old). I looked for a nice one about a decade ago and came across a few that were not in the best shape and passed (granted I did not search high and low).

If you can find one in great shape they have a great reputation, but I suspect finding one in great shape will be even harder as time wears on. I suppose it also depends on what kind of condition you are willing to live with and whether you are interested in restoring one.

I really liked my 02 Malibu wakesetter xti with the ski hull. i bought it new with a third tracking fin and upgraded and lighter engine i added perfect pass. it's 22'6" and has wakeboat like "stadium seating." it ski's well up to 4 people. Its solid in the chop, the bow's 6 inches or more higher than my prostar. it holds a dozen people . I think it'd be perfect for you. I still ski behind it because I sold it to a friend.

• Baller
I think I'm going to make an offer on the one on onlyinboards.com just because people here have made it sound like the holy grail.... Can't let a really nice one like that slip through my fingers. You think 50% over asking price would get it?

• Baller

I love my X14 (214) but I gave up one of the best wakes in my 94 ProStar 205 and I know it. My X14 (LY6 and 1:1.22) has some weight compared to a 214 (MCX and 1:1) and I feel it in the wake. A load in the boat or a full tank will also affect wake but I also think its the position of the weight in the boat and I have yet to find that sweet spot. A great skier can ski anything and once you get to 28 off, its totally different than 15 or 22 off.

My brother has a 2004 Ski Nautique 206 SE so I can easily compare the two. The 206 has less space than the 214 but a bit more than my 205. I don't like the netting on the sides of the 206 compared to the pockets in the 205. The 214 has more storage space than all of them unless you have hard ballast tanks like mine, but my X14 has ample space.

My 2 cents...

31vkj36d8seu.jpg

dfgnp7u5keyh.jpg

Recent Video of my X14

https://rumble.com/vns1n3-stretching-the-beasts-legs.html

• Baller

@jpwhit there are holy grail bargain hulls...the 'Bu Sunsetter Lxi is one of them in the larger open bow class. Gotta go older and want a closed bow--'97 and newer Ski Nautique 196. Older yet and ok with some shortline spray '91-'94 Prostar 190. Arguement can be made for some others but if you want wake...and in the case of the Sunsetter Lxi space and wake--well...

I wouldn't offer 50% more than asking, though...maybe $50 bucks :smile: