Is Joel Poland the greatest skier of all time?

UCFskier

• Baller
Can't remember from where the info came (Probably BOS) but, it was reported that someone accused Poland of being too cocky and he said "That's okay cause I make up for it with my good looks" No idea if he actually said this but, I hope he did. That's funny. Dude has style, humor and mad skills. He's only 22 so we'll see how he pans out over time.

• Baller
No. His career is too young to be considered the greatest skier of all time. I have tons of respect for Joel and am a fan but if you want to discuss greatest male skier of all time; I would include Brett Wing, Patrice Martin, Sammy Duvall, Carl Roberge and Mike Hazelwood. Joel and his contemporaries (Llewellyn, Robert Hazelwood, Danylo Fechinco?, etc) are definitely elevating overall but let's give him a few years before crowning him Best Skier of All Time.

• Administrators

Poll does not have the right options.

Joel best ever? Maybe some day but not yet.

Below is an incomplete list of skiers who in my mind still rank above Joel.

Sammy Duvall

Carl Roberge

Patrice Martin

Brett Wing

Jimmy Siemers

Jaret Llewellyn

Mike Suyderhoud

Chuck Stearns

• Baller
Agree that Joel is insanely talented. He also happens to be a really nice guy who is bringing a lot of attention to overall. Remember that this is the 2nd time he set the Wotld overall record this year and he came back from an ankle injury to set it even higher during the biggest tournament of the season!

• Supporting Member

I'm not thinking about "greatest" for him right now, but he might just be exactly what this sport needs right now! A young guy with a unique style, a fun vibe, and an insane amount of talent.

Although I don't know him personally, I don't really get the negative impression that a few folks seem to have. Is it just that he drops the "wrong" hand at 6 ball sometimes? Um, there are no style points in slalom. You can round each buoy however the hell you want.

And he sure seemed genuine in the Freddie Winter interview while he was sweating out whether Dorien would edge him out for Overall.

• Baller_

@Horton I don’t know. Maybe never. But 32 National Overall titles (and the 100+ gold medals going with them) is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

I am certainly not nominating her for best skier ever, but suggesting that perhaps overall is regarded less glamorously than slalom.

Lpskier

• Baller
I’ve gotten to know Joel fairly well over the last year and he is the real deal. I would not describe him as “Cocky” but he does have confidence that belies his youth. He is a consummate showman but he is also grounded and respectful. I can’t wait to see what he does next!

• Administrators
@LK_skier Geoff won a world championship in jump I believe. Before his accident he was one of the most beloved guys on the pro scene but no way was he one of the greatest of all time in jump or overall.

• Baller_

@MichaelGoodman He did, but he was not a pro three eventer. No elite world titles in trick, jump or overall, so not a contender in a discussion about great three eventers.

That said, in the 2014 Senior Worlds (also at Travers), the coolest thing I saw in the whole tournament (including Fred Halt running 41 in a run off at 34) was catching Andy going down the trick lake doing toes.

Lpskier

• Baller_

What Andy not a pro three eventer? Hmm for the time this was world level trick skiing!

Can't find any jump video of him. I know his last professional jump event was SRB (Destin 93 or 94 ) manufacturers challenge where Teams from Correct Craft and Mastercraft went head to head!

• Baller_
@Jody_Seal I stand corrected. How about: He is not known for being a three eventer? I went to several of pro events and I never saw him jump, but maybe I was late to the party. I know he tricked and I knew he jumped as a young man but never knew him as as a jumper.

Lpskier

• Baller
I’m surprised Regina hasn’t been thrown into the conversation. Obviously an extremely accomplished slalom skier (9 world records?), 8x masters slalom champion, but how many world titles to her name in slalom and overall? Too much to keep track of for me.

• Baller

Two thoughts:

it's really tough to be a GOAT in overall, if your requirement is being head-and-shoulders dominant over a long period. Regina & Patrice have each won overall @ worlds 5 times, but over their career they always had stiff competition and on any given weekend, I don't think you'd expect them to win overall the way you'd expect Regina, Nate or Andy to win slalom.

Liz Allan was the only skier to ever have a grand slam at Worlds: in 1969, she won slalom, tricks, jump and (obviously) overall.

• Members

"Is Joel Poland the greatest skier of all time?"

No way to know, because "all time" isn't over yet. Change the question to, "Is Joel Poland the greatest skier of OUR time?" and you can probably answer "yes".

"all time" includes hundreds of great skiers before Joel Poland was even born, and [hopefully] hundreds more to come.

• Baller
Agreed. Too early to tell about greatest of all time. But maybe that was the greatest overall performance at the Worlds of all time. Certainly right up there. Not too sure how many times in history that the World overall record has been broken at the Worlds? I wouldn’t think it would be many. And Joel has now done it twice! He also broke the U-21 World overall record at the U-21 Worlds in Edmonton. Talk about coming up big in the biggest event! Awesome!

• Baller
Also after looking at John’s list of top overall skiers. Not sure if Brett Wing should be on there. Unless you are counting barefoot? I can think of lots of other overall 3 event skiers that were better. If we were counting overall skier in all on the water events, then Brett would probably sit at the top, no question

• Baller_
Two skiers that are of goat status ! Tricky Ricky and Dr. Mike Morgan .Both at McCormick's this past weekend. Overall skiers that were dominant for sure. Might add Frankie Dees on that list. He just broke a age group record, longevity for sure goes to Frankie!!