Voltmeter just quit working. Odd.

makeall6

• Baller

So, put the battery charger on the 2004 SN a couple nights ago since we were planning on pulling the course today. Kept the charger on two days. Hooked the trailer to the truck, turned the ignition on just to make sure the battery had enough juice. Voltmeter registered 0. Could be trouble. Put a garden hose to her and it started right away. Voltmeter still at 0. Do voltmeters just stop working all of a sudden? Charging the battery over two days should not cause a problem should it? Never has before. Time for a new Voltmeter? Hard to install?

On another note. I am glad I have two sons to go into the water to snag the buoys. Been pretty cold lately in Northern Ohio.

Cheers.

Tom

• Baller
They all zero out except the voltmeter. No movement at all. Just got back from the Pond and pulled the buoys and all seemed OK. No voltmeter. Another oddity. Temp gauge only got to 140. Could be the cold water but shouldn't heat 160 even if the water is cold. Guages just seemed weird today. Sorry for the ignorance, what is the fair gateway?

• Baller_

If you only idled to remove the buoys, I can see the water temp staying low. I think a few high speed runs are required to really generate the heat.

Faria gateway is the electronics managing the sensors and gauges. Don't know too much about it. MasterCraft had something similar with their Medallion system.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

On 2003 - 2009 Nautique boats the faria gateway boxes go bad over time. The 2005 and earlier are really problematic as they use pitot static tubes to measure speed, which connect into the gateway box, leading to water getting into the electronics.

2006 - 2009 they replaced the pitot static tubes with a paddle wheel to measure speed, so that stops the water infiltration problem, but it just gives you more life…

You can’t buy replacement gateway boxes, you have to get the “Faria gateway bypass kit” from Nautique parts.com at the tune of $960 which replaces all of the gauges and has the wiring kit to directly connect the engine outputs to the gauges- hence bypassing the bad faria gateway unit.

If you have upgraded your perfect pass to Stargazer, you have in effect already bypassed the gateway box for the PP gauge.

Could be you have a loose connection or a bad gauge, I would start there given those are far cheaper fixes…

• Baller
FYI I have a 2004 SN and my temperature gauge reads 0 at times. The digital gauge works fine so I don’t get too concerned about it. My engine temperature always comes up to 160 degrees within 10 minutes running at idle. I did have to replace the thermostat a couple of years ago because it was running (poorly) cold.

• Baller

Thanks to all. Yes I do have PP Stargazer Z-Box. I forgot that you can check voltages in PP.

Season is over so I guess I will deal with it next spring, however I hate putting it away knowing something is not right. I will check for loose wires first, then maybe a new gauge.

Again...Thanks to all.

Cheers.

Tom