Ski Ropes

Cam

• Baller

My wife skis at 15 off 22mph and I doubt very much that she will ever shorten the line so I have been toying with the idea of buying some 16 strand 8mm ski line and making up a mainline with no shortenings.

She has a good Masterline handle that we would use.

The advantages I see are the rope would be a lot lighter with no loops to catch on things, the only drawback I can think of apart from having a shiny new rainbow line is it could be too bouncy but would she notice it at 22mph?

Thoughts?

Cam

• Baller
@Cam Open question - would that setup provide more or less flex or shock absorption than a standard mainline? I would think that those knots and loops all help provide a little bit more of the "give" that saves our elbows or shoulders? I could be 180 degrees off there, but that was the first thought that came to mind.

• Baller

@PatM she is not very heavy, the benefit would be to my pocket £20 compared to £150.

@KRoundy yes that is why I asked the question, I would have thought it would have been the opposite with most of the shortest loops being double thickness with the rope fed back down I was thinking it would be less forgiving.

Thanks for replying just looking for advice.

• Baller

@Cam I guess you want something special for your wife... not saving on a rope. Maybe you would loose some give on rope without sections... I don’t know, but then again it will be lighter which is a very good thing for small light skiers. And I haven’t seen any ultra short line skier complaints when they almost ski with no sections at their shortest pass...

The main issue here is how to source very good quality bulk rope. And not 8mm, more likely 10mm. Personally I haven’t found any rope worth using other than Masterline. They braid their own ropes. If you can source that, then go for it, or you can buy a 23m jump rope from masterline and shorten it. And maybe make a 16m section just in case...

• Baller
@Cam Masterline has a white rope that is just like you will see at tournaments. The only difference you or she will notice is the color. The stretch will be the same and the feel will be equal when going To a tournament. Using a junior rope is great for practice but it is unlikely she will be able to use one in a tournament.