Gauge issues

BTheis

• Baller

e97nn26qogo0.jpg

Probably the stepper motor. If your patient enough, that's a nice winter project. Go slowly and make sure you don't break the impossible-to-find bezel. 3 years since the repair and they work perfectly.

• Baller

I hope my memory serves me right...

Symptoms: Some gauge needles don't cycle anymore when energized. 

1. Disconnect and remove gauge.

2. Remove the bezel with care.

3. Take out the lens. That's a challenge. Using a razor blade slowly around the lens next to the case flange, a bit of heat can help. The case will probably be brittle, and you'll need to be really gentle.

4. Use tape to mark the position of the four needles at home position (can't remember whether it was clockwise or counterclockwise).

5. Take out the needles and the gauge background.

6. Unsolder the main connection point. Now you have the board in your hands.

7. Unsolder the stepper motors (it makes more sense to change them all if you have reached this point).

8. Remove all the solder with a vacuum tool (important).

9. Resolder the new stepper motors with the least amount of heat.

10. Solder the board into the casing.

11. Put the background and needles back on.

12. Seal the lense with silicone, reinstall gauge.

xu8i5ygetu52.jpg

ce76whx24o45.jpg

ruj26lbune2n.jpg

d5to9uqituj1.jpg

aq7a9dschye9.jpg

• Baller

@03RLXi Clean solution but what about engine hours, depth finder, water and air temperature provided by MMDC? The tach option gives you an hourmeter and the paddle wheel thermocouple can be wired back to PP for water temperature display.

It would be nice if Ron's tach could also display depth.

• Baller

@Ray the 1208 kit gives me a new multi gauge and GPS speedo.

Could have got the 1205 with multi and tacho but as my third gauge is the Malibu tacho & PP combo the 1208 is the best option.

Engine hours available in the PP (or in engine if plug in diagnostic reader.

I don't care about air temperature as just use feel to kow if it's cold, ok or hot :-)

For water temperature and the all important decision if boardies only, shorty wetsuit or long wetsuit we're always on same lake so roughly know by season and weather, and if we really want to know water temp it's already available in PP.

We will miss the depth alarm but sometime I'll add a new depth gauge/alarm.

I did ask Ron if theres any chance he's developing a gauge with LCD for depth, temps etc but reply was no, not at moment.

• Baller
@BTheis Figured as much. I've been using a razor blade as well and just rotating the gauge as I have the razor blade up against it. Makes even more sense as to why @Ray used silicone to reattach. Would save a lot of time if needing to do this again, which is likely the case given these stepper motors.