Touchless cover or waterline cover for FL dock?

ScarletArrow

• Baller
Been in Florida 22 years. The sun can rapidly fade gel-coat. I am a fan of waterline covers rather than touchless "drop down". A neighbor down the street had a drop down...big storm (not even a hurricane) took it out and a few others around the lake have also been damaged by strong winds. Granted, our lake is 2500 acers so we can get some heavy winds. Save some money and potential damage and just buy a waterline cover.

• Baller

The Touchless Covers are really nice and well made, but being north of $5k are quite the investment. It’s a nice feature to be able to simply push a button on the remote to raise them, climb into your boat, and you are ready to go in a matter of minutes.

However - with the boat being completely open inside the cover, you have spiders, bugs, and sometimes birds leaving their mess inside the boat.

Not to speak of pollen who are present in this area almost year round.

We have (or had) 3 boat lifts with touchless covers on our lake.

In 2017 hurricane Irma blew directly over our lake in Clermont and took two of the covers down and left them beyond repair.

Most common setups on our lake are boat houses and waterline covers on the boats. Mostly Tumacs by Skip @Xpropman who seems to be the go to guy here. I just ordered myself one for Christmas, but didn’t need the waterline feature, as my portable lift has a canopy with side curtains to keep the boat completely protected from sunlight. But - I put a cover on the boat anyway to keep the dirt and bug-/spider- mess out.

• Baller_
I have to agree with spiders and other critters in FL messing things up. Believe it or not a raccoon got in my boat with an almost water line cover in a boat house on a lift. No idea how it did it but with my motor box propped up for ventilation, it actually got into the bilge and came out with greased up feet. Then proceeded to walk around the boat. Somehow it got out as well. I know have a full water line cover...just sayn.

• Baller
I’m so picky if I had a touchless cover I would still have a cover on it, especially if I wasn’t going to use it for a few days. The touchless covers on my lake did make it it through hurricane Irma, thats pretty impressive. If you notice in my picture I also have bird deterrent installed. It’s awesome.

• Baller

@ScarletArrow the best thing to do is tighten the strap where it will slip over with a small amount of effort. When putting the cover on the transom sit on the back of the boat and use your feet to slide the cover near or over one corner of the platform. Then do the same for the other side. You may have to bend over and stretch a bit depending on the boat and how thighs the cover is.

I have the same type of cover and once I set the strap for tension I have not touched it sense.