Moomba Schedule

Horton

• Members

Yeah. Travel to here in Melbourne has been pretty much zilch for the last couple of years. We're actually the most locked down city in the world. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would love to see best competition possible, but grateful and appreciate anyone making the trip, especially on their own coin.

Looking forward to seeing hard core slalom up close for the first time in ages. Also great choice by the comp to have equal prizes across mens and women's comps.

• Baller

@Horton it's no longer a Masters qualifier as well and for what it is worth it is not a ProTour related event.

I would assume it costs well over 4k USD for a skier to go. A long way, a lot of money, over a week away from home and it's early in the year. Entry in full was due December 31st. The world had a different landscape at that time than it does now. Hopefully the event will attract all the heavy hitters again next year.

• Baller_

I like it! The Moomba will be the biggest showcase for 3 event water skiing in 2022.

Not sure what kind of crowd restrictions will be in place but in the past on any given final event and night jump there could be as many as 25,000 people sat down and watching. Throughout the week as many as 250,000 or more people will shuffle through the event area.

The Moomba is a professionally run tournament run for profit as well as cash payout to the athletes. Kudos to them for making the payout gender equal.

Moomba has always been a tough sell for athletes to train and travel that far. Costs have risen dramatically in the last couple years.

I can't imagine what a general ticket airline ticket is from fla to Melbourne.

Lot of expenditures for for the effort especially when there is only one cash prize event.

They tried to have a secondary cash prize event weekend prior not sure why it went away..

• Administrators
it's also unfortunate that Nautique opted to decline being part of the Pro Tour for both Moomba and the Masters. I think most skiers agree that a more cohesive tour was very positive last year. If nothing else it formalized the requirement of a quality webcast. (admittedly a few of the webcasts were less impressive last year but as a whole the effort was very successful )

• Members
Not sure what kind of crowd restrictions will be in place but in the past on any given final event and night jump there could be as many as 25,000 people sat down and watching.

Restrictions are pretty much gone now, apart from a few indoor settings.
I'll be heading in to watch the slalom finals on Monday. Early start on a public holiday to see the slalom, but I get the jumps / tricks are more of a genpop crowd pleaser.

• Members
Pretty bs that wakeboarders get paid more?

I'm sorta OK with that. If a wakeboarding sponsor wants to chip in more $s for prizemoney for that event, probably their choice. From another perspective, would it be fair for it to be split across events where they don't have any products in that market?

• Baller

Also,anybody notice the boat hitting backwash just before the greens almost every time when coming from the bridge end ?

Very different conditions from the usual man made lakes...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Members
No Crocs on the Yara?

Melbournian here. Nah, no crocs. A few platypus upstream of where the skiing is. Nasty little buggers. (Almost as bad as Drop bears up on the Murray River.)
Although powerful enough to kill smaller animals such as dogs, the venom is not lethal to humans, but the pain is so excruciating that the victim may be incapacitated

Source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus#Venom

• Administrators
Am I the only one that's humored by how overly nationalistic the commentators are? I mean Bob Wing is legend. Hate to criticize but it's just kind of weird.

• Members

Commentary is announced riverside. So trying to fire up the crowd a bit.

On the flip side, I've heard them a few times comment how they hoped the international competitors made it through to Monday, given the long trip and costs etc.

• Administrators

@timmo

yeah I get it. It's just something you don't hear elsewhere. Perhaps Australian nation pride is a good thing.

whatever those guys are doing at your job