Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Ski Nautique or Prostar?

Downunder

• Baller

This has been debated many times online, and there are a few older threads about each boat, but its time I get a new boat as perfect pass will not cut it anymore, and need advice regarding the new models.

The new 200 Nautique is not on the shopping list . Please don't comment on how the 200 compares, its a great ski boat and we love it, but we train a fair way from the dock and I don't want 4 slalom skis, 2 trick skis and a pair of jump skis on the deck all day. (they got rid if the saddle bags and there is not much storage under the observers seat)

The Ski is more expensive, and I will have to wait longer for delivery, but I have been a Nautique owner for the last 8 years and can't imaging moving to the Prostar, but really we need a new boat and would prefer one before next year, and I could possibly get a Prostar this year so I have to consider it. (the cost saving would also be nice, but its not a game changer).

I can only get a build slot for the 2023 Ski Nautique, there may be some new features on it, but I am told the changes are likely to be minor. I do like the Nautique connect feature as we live a long way from the dealer (3200km) and they can log onto the system and diagnose any issues remotely. Trick wake also seems to have better reviews on the SN.

I will be getting the 6.2 ltr engine, but I don't think there would be that much difference in either boat for jumping? But please tell me if i am wrong.

In short, if you were a 3 event skier and had both boats sitting on the dock and could ski behind either, but you had to ski all 3 events behind the one you picked, which one would you take out?

PS, there are no late model second hand 3 event boats available in Australia, I have been looking.

Finally, probably should consider the Malibu Response - I can get an Australian made one its just that I have not heard anything that would make me want to buy one, but if you are a Response owner and love it, please post.

• Baller

Are you in the Simpson Desert? Shit 3200ks away?

There’s a few Response’s floating around at $100-120k. No Prostars anywhere or Nautique’s. What were you quoted for a new SN? I’d go for that, sounds like you’re one of the five people here that can afford one. ?

• Baller

I can't compare behind the boats (other than I've had skiers complain about the SN wake when it's not setup properly, but like it when it's dialled in) but from a drivers point of view, the Prostar wins for me hands down.

Kit is easily stored up front under the bow cover, the general feel is better (I found) when driving the PS and every surface isn't covered in seadek that can (and does) peel off.

I found the SN felt like it was perched on the water rather than driving through it so to me, it felt a bit washy in the course and the helm buttons, idrive thing and touch screen made for a very steep learning curve, whereas the PS just uses one screen and it's just simple.

I can't comment on driving for jump as not done that in one or either, but have driven trick and 58/13m in both.

• Baller

Just a thought, while it's not a full-on dealer service setup, you can get Rinda Diacom software and cables to run on a laptop for about $700 USD. That would allow you to plug into the engine ECU and do a little diagnosis / troubleshooting without a dealer trip, and if your MC dealer was willing to help over the phone, you'd be a force to be reckoned with. Not sure about actual boat electronics / touchscreen issues though.

• Administrators

Disclaimer: BallOfSpray does business with MasterCraft & I have a factory ProStar on my lift.

First the reasons to get the Ski Nautique

The Ski Nautique is the best trick boat in the sport. If you are an elite trick skier, it is the preferred boat.

If you compete at events that are primarily pulled by the Ski Nautique you will want to train behind it. This boat is different enough in all 3 events that if you train behind a one of the other 3 boats and then get the Ski Nautique in a tournament you may be at a disadvantage. Different skiers are impacted differently but the other three boats are all more similar to each other.

pros and cons

The slalom pull is simply different. Skiers who practice every day behind the Ski Nautique may complain about the pull of other boats. Skiers who practice behind the other boats may complain about pull of the Ski Nautique.

My tournament PB behind the Ski Nautique is 4 balls less than behind the other boats. I have had one or two amazing rides and a lot of bad ones behind the Ski Nautique. Personally I do not like skiing behind it but clearly skiers who practice behind it all the time do not share my feeling.

Negatives on the Ski Nautique

The wakes at longer slalom lengths are ridiculously bad. By 13m and 12m the wakes are no longer an issue.

The complexity of the additional systems ( micro turners, hydro-gate, ballast systems & fancy controls ) certainly impacts reliability. There are plenty of stories out there especially about the micro turners.

Driving the Ski Nautique for slalom is odd at least for drivers who spend most of their time in other boats. The best drivers in the world seem to do a good job in the boat but there are plenty of stories about drivers struggling with the boat. I have only driven it a few times as was totally lost.

Lastly, it is likely that this boat is due for an update. No telling what how different the next version will be.

I know you said you did not want a 200 but if you like Nautiques the 200 is hard to knock. No one regrets buying a 6.0 or 6.2 200. It is a solid boat. Avoid the 5.3.

The Malibu

I can not speak for the Australian built boats but the US version of the TXi is a great boat. I have no real criticism. I like to drive and ski behind it. I do not know about the trick wakes.

The ProStar

You are looking for a 3 event boat? The last 3 or 4 (5?) men’s world overall records were set behind ProStars. In other words, it is a great 3 event boat. The trick wakes from 2014 to 2020 was maybe the one thing the boat lacked. The 2021 or later wakes are much better. The current woman’s jump record was also set behind a ProStar.

The current ProStar is about refinement and thoughtful engineering. Marcus Brown drove the process on the 2014 ProStar. Will Bush and Freddy Krueger were key team members on the 2021 redesign. These guys are skiers and boat drivers. The boat has the features/attributes that matter and none of the fat.

I have had 8 ProStars since 2017. The first few were 5.7 and then 6.0 for the last few. I have only skied behind a 6.2 ProStar once. That 6.2 might have had a R&D prop in it or something but I thought it felt crazy good. In the ProStar, unless someone is jumping 70 meters +/- the 6.0 is strong enough. The 6.2 is only necessary for super elite jumping. I would always recommend the 6.0 unless there is a good reason for the 6.2.

• Like 1

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I have a ‘21 prostar with a 6.2

The pull is absolutely amazing. Not sure why they always use the 6.0 in tournaments for slalom. I ski both and love the 6.2. I feel like it doesn’t work as hard to keep rpm’s than the 6.0.

Nautique is awful at 22 and 28 off. Gets better from there but nothing compared to the prostar wake.

• Administrators

@mbabiash

I think most ProStars are the 6.0 because of cost. The 6.2 is just not needed unless you are on a short lake, high altitude or jumping 230. I say that but I wish I had a 6.2.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@mbabiash While I agree with you the 6.2 has one of the best pulls it all boils down to money. The 6.0 does the job very well for slalom and for 90% of jumpers. Not really necessary for 99% of tournaments. I’m sure you know the 6.2 is about 12k more. And 95% of skiers don’t need the the increased HP. When it comes to the tournament promo boats Nautique choose to just go with one motor. And keep in mind the Nautique promo boats go back to the local dealer for resale.

MC promo boats are owned by the promo members and they have to resell the boat and have the extra up front money for the 6.2.

• Baller_

I will say driving jump (pass and cuts) the 200 was easy, the pro star tracks like a dream, and the newest Ski Nautique I felt like it wanted to slide all over the place. I really prefer the Pro star now personally. I would love to drive some 41s again in each boat to really get a feel for them, however I try to avoid pulling slalom now, done that enough for a lifetime.

my .02

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller
@rockdog live in Cairns Qld, closest dealer in in Brisbane over 3000km away but they do fly up and also have some local mechanics authorised to do services and repairs etc, but these new boats with those electronic gadgets do worry me, particularly the SN.

• Baller

As @Horton said, which I totally agree with, if you ski mainly tournaments pulled by Nautiques, you’ll need to ski it a good bit to get used to it. At 14 and 13 meters, the wake is not good. I have not driven the new Nautique, but have driven the Prostar and the TXi and liked driving both.

If it’s me on the dock, I want to ski behind the Prostar. If it’s me buying a new boat, it’s the Prostar. If I were buying a used boat, it’s a tossup between a big engined 200 and any engine in a Prostar.

• Baller

@Horton thankyou so much, that summary was just what I was looking for.

Every model's build allocation for 2022 has been filled, so it will be a 2023 model.

I am definitely putting the 200 back in the mix, the dealer said they might be able to sort out some ski racks.

It will be a 6.2 - maybe it will tow a few 50m+ jumpers but i have been told great things about the 6.2 (particularly in the Prostar)

Malibu has sewn up the 2 major ski tournaments over here for the next few years, (except Moomba who has SN) I am not sure its wise to base a boat purchase on what they will be skiing behind in a specific tournament in Australia (they will only possibly ski behind the response for 4 rounds all season in comps, the rest of the time it will be a luck dip). However, at our local comps we will probably ski behind whatever I get......

Besides, I want a boat that I love to get into on the weekends, or what's the point.

I am going to go down and try the new prostar, my son has skied behind one and loved it, but he loves everything he skis behind, except my 94 SN. The kids will be skiing behind a response next week and I will check it out. I just need to find a SN to play in I think.

• Like 1

• Baller

Better get in quick for a 2023 slot ;)

You'll find whichever boat you try will feel completely different to your 94, remember the Prostar reverses the opposite direction.

The biggest difference you'll find, (as I did), is the throttle feel, it takes a bit of getting used to (all DBW boats)

• Baller
@LoopSki and @chrislandy for many of us the ProStar docks and backs-up the "right" or correct way! :D good luck in your search you cant really go wrong, our club has a 2020 200 and a 21 ProStar both are great boats ----- a 6.2 TXi might also be a good option considering your needs

• Baller

@RAWSki many people don’t know why Nautique back towards the passenger side. It began when correct craft build boats for passengers traveling by water. Tit backs to the left so the passenger can exit the boat easier. When they started to build ski boats it is something that really did not change.

Back to the left or right it’s all in what you get used to. A good driver will adapt.

• Baller
On 11/23/2023 at 11:48 PM, chaloux said:

Beautiful boat!  So what made you decide to go the Nautique route in the end? 

Personal preference, preferred the interior, got better service from the dealer.  In the end there isn't much difference between the boats, i had a nautique and probably had some brand loyalty.   

• Like 1