Pet Peeves

lpskier

• Baller_
Random folks that ride in the boat to watch you ski and immediately feel authorized to offer their considered coaching opinion every time you set down, no matter how poor their skills of observation and/or communication. Can you imagine if that happened in golf? Homicide rates would increase and there would be a national outcry to ban sand irons (AKA “Assault Clubs”).

Lpskier

• Administrators
okay seriously the worst thing ever is you have a terrible ski ride in a tournament, you're walking back to the dock completely dejected and somebody says " hey that was great"!

• Baller

Drivers on their cell phones

Drivers in a rush

If you don’t have time to take me for a ski and give the driving 100 % of your attention

Get out I’ll find some one else. And Oh ya by the way pay100% attention to your driving, if you want to watch me ski sit in the passenger seat

• Baller
If skiing at another's place, bring gas, or at least offer beers or $. I've traveled to a few ski places (flight) and couldn't bring gas, so offered beers/alcohol or $, their choice. While gas was preferred, other options were acceptable. Do something, and I still brought my own gear.

• Baller_

@jimski One time I was turning on the 1/3/5 side and as I rounded the buoy, I looked at the boat. The driver was looking directly at me. Nice boat path, pal!

@Horton It’s not the skill level; it’s the assumption that I want their coaching.

Lpskier

• Baller

Skiing is a team sport so I try not to be too picky or fussy. There is nothing worse than flat water, all the time in the world, and no driver so everything above that is a major bonus and I try not to forget that. Any willing driver is a gift.

That said:

In general an obviously well-off-financially skier that is incredibly cheap when it comes to skiing, in general, is annoying. Stubbornly old equipment, ripping on me for newer stuff, using my stuff/not having their own stuff like ropes and handles, splitting clinic sets, etc.- any of that just amazes me and seems very rampant in this sport. Totally loaded yet cheap about skiing. I don't get it.

Any advice that is clearly outdated is annoying. This would include stuff like "you need to get the handle down", turn-related advice, etc.

• Baller
Dropped at the end of the lake and the driver and "observer" are having a nice chat about whatever (not my skiing, not their skiing, not the boat path, usually something gossipy about other skiers). "Sorry to bother you, but I'm ready when you are."

• Baller
@lpskier I used to ski with a guy that did that! I struggle on my offside (1,3,5) and every time I'm at the ball I can see him looking at me! He wasn't a good driver when looking forward, so I can only guess what the boat path looked like.

• Baller

Guys that don’t bring what they need to ski and assume you will provide it. Example, Invite a guy from around the lake to go skiing. His turn…he says where’s your soap? What, you didn’t bring your own…we don’t have no stinking soap! Haven’t needed that since moving to Radar boots like well over 10 years ago!!

So, he struggles to get his boots on or we have to take a run back to the dock. We always choose option #1. Lol.

• Baller

When dropping at the end of the course and the driver distracts me by telling random life stories or lake gossip while I’m mentally preparing for the next pass.

There’s always a time for that, and I’m usually appreciative for that, but not in between passes.

• Baller

People who do not check their equipment before they ski, also using bindings that should of been replaced a good 3 months sooner.

As somebody else said people, that have the money but will beg and borrow gear rather than go out and buy it.

Continues to amaze me, the potential for injury using gear well passef its sell by date and then blaming a bad drive for their mishap.

Seen and heard it, a fair few times.

• Baller

Similar to lpskier's first post, but not exactly, and mine doesnt even involve being out on the boat. My pet peeve is people (not so bad on here, but definitely other forums, like over on FB) who insist on critiquing someone's skiing when the poster of the photo or video did not ask for critiquing. Some people just like to post good photos or videos of themselves skiing, maybe a nice turn, maybe a new ski, maybe a nice sunset. And some expert always feels compelled to say, "you're bent at the waist" or "handle needs to be lower" or "you need to stay on edge more". Not everyone is looking for advice. If they dont ask, then keep it to yourself. I post videos all the time and most times I will ask for input. It's great when I or others ask for it, fire away. But if I or someone else doesnt ask, then dont offer. I've even seen people who have offered such unsolicited advice defend themselves after they've been called out for it by saying something like, Hey, I'm an expert (yeah, sure) and I just gave them free advice that would cost them money elsewhere and continue to defend, despite being told, even by the original poster, that its not asked for, appreciated, or welcome.

• Baller
Similar to an earlier post, people who don't take a minute to stand on the platform and drain off, but instead jump in the boat and plonk down with water streaming off them, after standing on the back seat on the way in. FFS, just drain off a bit!

• Baller

Surf boats. Esp with tower speakers engaged.

Wind that settles down right as you put the boat away for the day and your body is gassed.

People who don't realize that boots hold water and proceed to empty their contents on the floor of the boat after a set.

People who bump my camera (phone) off it's axis right before a pass where I am working on something I'd really love to see on video. Or who shorten the rope but don't put it between the fingers on the ski doc.

• Baller_
When a first time driver in my boat put my ProStar in Reverse at 30mph. His instinct was to pull up on the lever for everything. The shock stopped the engine cold.. . I don't understand why there was no obvious damage.

• Baller
I have a guy that walks down onto his dock to be picked up and doesnt bring his ski. Then runs back to his cabin to grab it. This happens every damn time. I have left him there and commented that I didnt think he wanted to ski as he didnt have his ski with him. Then the very next day, it was the same thing!