this makes me sad

Horton

• Baller
Yea The lake I posted about the price tag was way off I think. It was over 12 years ago and they were asking 250,000 for the lot with no power, no well, no septic. It’s also pretty far away from any job market. At the time it would’ve been an hour and a half one way commute for me.

• Baller
Lake posted @horton is in Madera, CA. about an hour from Yosemite. Sold some time ago and has been dry since; probably 8-10 years ago. Lake was unprotected from wind and had a E-W setting which was terrible for sun in the AM and PM; but it was fun to ski and the original owners were great.

• Baller

I remember that place on the market like 2012-2014 time frame I think. Had a sweet house with a 6 or 8 car garage. But wasn't it two owners, divided across the middle of the lake? One owned one end of the lake. The other owned the opposite end of the lake. Probably made for an interesting sharing arrangement.

• Baller_

In FL. I skied with the guy that built it and was the single owner. Fun years skiing there. Then the market crashed/housing bubble and he walked away. Sad as it sat unsold and unused for so long, that vines were growing up the walls of the mansion. To this day I believe it goes unused. 20’ deep and crystal clear water. ?

69gsjbciil7r.png

• Baller

m3gabp9ehk1x.jpeg

This is by Fairmont Hot Springs in BC. Looks like about a decade ago the plan was to build 2 lakes and cabins but it never came to fruition. I reached out to the developer when I heard about this a few years back and he said he sold the property to a logging company. I doubt you could even access it.

A youtube video I found about the project:

• Baller
My boat was the first on the water and I was the third person to ski that Fairmont lake. I actually was arranging a down payment on one of the lots when things went south for the developer. I still stop to gaze at it and shed a tear every time I drive by.

• Baller

uqlfwa27r7ng.png

This pic is from Sams Valley, just north of Medford, Oregon. The dry lake at the top was built by Wayne Van Wey in the early 90s or so. The story is he did it without permits, got busted, and I'm not sure that it has been used much since.

Anybody know anything about the lake at the bottom? It's a couple miles from my parents' new house. I visited in February and drove by but couldn't see anything. Just south of where the picture is cut off there looks to be a pretty substantial house ... with a tournament boat stashed in the woods.

• Baller
@aspski That lake is in a most beautiful scenic setting and I really miss living there. The only draw back to the lake was the water temps rarely got high enough to get out of a long wetsuit. The lake was dug down to the natural water table and it flowed through the gravel ground. It is built on the north end of Columbia Lake - glacier spring fed head waters of the Columbia River. Just on the right edge of the picture you posted is the river, barely as wide as a single lane dirt road. The swimming lagoon off to the right of the ski lake was ok for a dip after a few days of sun. Being well below grade it was protected from wind and had light ripple at the worst.