1997 Ski Nautique vs 2006 SN 196

tlarocque

• Baller

Found a couple boats I'm considering...

1997 SN with APEX Fuel Injected PCM, 596 hrs. Fresh water. Perfect Pass. Dual axle trailer. Looks pretty clean. Haven't seen it yet but planning to go tomorrow morning. Probably needs tires on the trailer.

and

2006 196 Excalibur 330 with 660 hours, Perfect Pass. About 160 hrs of salt water use always flushed and wiped down. New manifolds and risers 2 years ago but sat for past 2 years after one use. Freshly serviced by my preferred mechanic but needs a prop and strut bushings done. Looks pretty good except for some vinyl issues on rear bench seat and lockers. Trailer dual axle has some rust, needs new wheels and tires, maybe bearings, etc. Very close to me.

Pretty good deal available on both of them but I'd be into the 2006 boat for at least $10-12k more.

I'm a free skier and have been skiing behind 2006-2008 SN 206s for the past several years, which I have loved. I only use my boats on fresh water. Don't think I'll ever be a big course skier but I am trying to improve.

So, weighing the option of less money up front and, at least potentially, fewer issues vs. a very desirable and hard to find TSC2 that needs a little love I think would come out nice with a little work.

Opinions, thoughts appreciated.

• Baller

1997 through 2001 had the same wet surface. 2002 through 2005, had same wet surface, 2006 through 2009 had the same wet surface. All of these Ski Nautqiue ski great, and drive and track great. 2006 they added the hydro gate and changed a few minor things on wet surface. Actually 2002 through 2005 drive and ski better than 2006 through 2009.

• Baller_

@tlarocque you are looking at 2 boats, 1 25 years old and the other 16 years old. Both of those hulls and overall design are outstanding. At your level (and several levels higher) the performance of those 2 boat designs is more than awesome.

Any older boat will need maintenance. By far the most critical aspect is how well the prior owners cared for and performed regular maintenance. You can get a pretty good feel with a 5 minute walk around and quick drive of the boat. Steering could be an issue, but steering cables are a regular replacement item that many owners neglect.

IMO, the main question you need to figure out is if 1 boat is worth a $10-12k premium over the other.

Oh and if you are trailering the boat, replace your tires every 4 years regardless of anything else. (I have learned that the hard way)

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
‘97 if we’ll cared for and in great shape over the other with salt water exposure. Wake/driving experience between the two is splitting hairs. If the 06 wasn’t a salty and was cherry id say go there if u can/want to afford same