28 - 30 mph ski recommendations

Badger

• Baller

I haven't been in the course in 20 years, but have been skiing 100+ times a year down a big lazy river linking lots of 36 mph turns together.

I'm 65, 5'8" and 170 pounds and thinking of returning to the course this summer, but promised my wife I would slow it down to 28 - 30 mph so as not to get hurt (I use to get pretty beat up chasing balls).

Any recommendation on a slow speed ski, just looking to ski 28' off (hopefully like a machine, pass after pass). Prefer a Connelly (have lots of old boots kicking around).

Thanks

• Baller

You want a 67" Radar Senate. (I love Connelly and ski on a DV8, but you want a 67" Senate) and treat yourself to some brand new bindings.

Also, try and get tall and work on your lite-line swing. Beating yourself up cranking turns and over-pulling past the wake is the wrong way to promote longevity.

• Baller

I'm currently on an OBrien Endo.

Looking for a performance 28 mph course ski, most of these recommendations are 32-34 mph skis.

Tried a real wide body, a Connelly Mid SX, horrible ride, barely skiable (at least for me), every time I layed it on edge, it would go out from under me, never a problem on the Endo or Connelly Concept I rode for years.

• Baller

My boy is 135 lbs. and he skis on a 66" Vapor Pro. His start speed right now is 26.7 mph, but has been on a Vapor since his start speed was 23 mph. He skis into 36 MPH / 22 off and is hoping to start shortening to -28 in the next month or so. Don't get hung up on the speed rating for the ski, focus on getting a high end ski where you are on the very low end of the recommended weights on the chart. My boy smokes through the slower speed passes on the higher end ski that is big enough for him at these speeds.

A 67" Senate would be perfect and give you a tad more width vs. the length of the ski vs. the Vapor, but you could also roll with a 68" Vapor or Connelly GT or DV8 (or a 68" high end ski from another manufacturer like D3 or HO or whatever).

Personally, I would absolutely not recommend one of the wide rides. Get on a high end ski designed for the course that is sized right for slightly slower speeds and go tear it up.

• Baller
Note: I tow five different juniors regularly who start slow and run like 3 to 4 passes above their start speed; I have played with different skis and sizes and speeds and they all do better using the above strategy: high end ski sized a little bigger to compensate for the speed.
  • Like 2

• Baller_
I'm your height/age, 10 lb lighter, ski on an HO Superlite & Animal double boots (2017), pre dates the current HO crossover skis. I love the ski in the course, have been 28 to 34 mph, 30-32 these days. See if HO has their demo program going.

• Baller
Badger, that might be great, but there's a difference between a wide ride ski, and a shape that is fractionally wider than a design intended to be used at 36. Jack's son at 135# on a 66 at 26, 28, 30, 32, 34 is a LOT different than you at 170 on a 67 going (and staying) at 28. Not to mention stark differences in forgiveness, sweet spot, and stiffness. I'm not necessarily advocating as wide as a butterknife/katana, but there's a plethora of videos of that ski being run shorter than 28. I'd at least try some moderately wider shapes like a Union.
  • Like 1

• Baller_

A large Denali C85 for 30mph. The C85 is great for free skiing -just for fun- or for top level competition. As others have said its very forgiving so its behavior is predictable and consistently good even if your technique is not always perfect.

I recently started on a C85 and its the best new ski of three that I have tried in the last year. Bio comparison, I have a Medium C85, weight 165, 6'0", 32mph, age 76. Placed in the Nationals a few times in M3 many years ago.

Recommend full rear boot to avoid spiral fractures. The D3 T-Factor is an enhanced rubber binding that is easy to live with - front and rear

Confirm size with @m_deel at Denali. She makes the skis. If your wife will let you ski at 32mph, the Medium might be better.

• Like 1

• Baller
It seems that all you guys disregarded the fact that @Badger has been open skiing at 36. Even he is thinking too slow (despite promise to his wife). @Badger just go ahead and try 32 with the ski you have. Didnt mention what it is though. See what gives.

• Baller

@Badger don't expect any of your old connelly boots to fit the new connelly skis.

Omega Max, Senate, Omni, Carbon v - all come to mind but as I recall the boots that were on my old Connelly F3 do not match the current boot mounting patterns at all.

On 6/13/2022 at 7:38 AM, swbca said:

A large Denali C85 for 30mph. The C85 is great for free skiing -just for fun- or for top level competition. As others have said its very forgiving so its behavior is predictable and consistently good even if your technique is not always perfect.

I recently started on a C85 and its the best new ski of three that I have tried in the last year. Bio comparison, I have a Medium C85, weight 165, 6'0", 32mph, age 76. Placed in the Nationals a few times in M3 many years ago.

Recommend full rear boot to avoid spiral fractures. The D3 T-Factor is an enhanced rubber binding that is easy to live with - front and rear

Confirm size with @m_deel at Denali. She makes the skis. If your wife will let you ski at 32mph, the Medium might be better.

I'm 155 lbs. Could I ski a medium, 30 mpg. course? 32 mpg. open water?