Solid Slalom Balls

actman

I need some slalom balls that are solid and do not take any air. I have a accusink course and over the winter while its sunk the balls loose most of there air. This makes it difficult to rise it up for the summer. If I could replace some the regular balls with a solid foam ball that would really help.

• Baller

We use solid foam buoys for the boat guides minus the entry and exit gates. Maybe that would give you enough flotation?

We use the solid foam buoys as our course is on a public lake and then can take multiple prop hits.

They also thump the under side of a boat hard when a yahoo runs over it - hopefully discouraging them from doing it again…

• Baller

These came from skiertoskier.com - again we use the just for the boat guides. We actually cut them down as by default they provided too much flotation and I didn’t want to counter weight them.

suljznh9udz0.jpeg

fkc967efha7b.jpeg

• Baller

@wish - I custom fabricated them from a 1/4” thick sheet of starboard. I used a 2.75” hole saw drill bit to cookie cutter them out and then used a table router to round off the top edge.

I was never a fan of driving a big galvanized nail through the side near the bottom to act as an attachment point.

I got a section of 5mm dinghy line from west marine and the plastic eyelet from somewhere online. We use zip ties to attach to the clip on the end of the bungee.

a8bquhj7huc0.jpeg

• Baller
Like @Jmoski we use these foam buoys for drive buoys (not gates) and 55's, as we are also on a public lake. They are markers for lobster lines, they come in a smaller size (Amazon) and work well without counter weights. You will want to make something as @Jmoski did and pull from the top down on the buoy.

• Baller

o9int5mjmmf1.jpg

On my course, we also use the lobster / crab pot & tray solid buoys for our boat guides. I've found the above to be an easy and cheap way to tie those buoys to the anchor line. About $0.50 each online or large box store. I do use a thick nylon fender washer between the ball and buoy as I thread the bungee cord down the buoy so it doesn't get pulled through. Nothing metal to hit the boat if one gets slightly off-course.