2012 Master Craft intermittent low power issue

oldmanskier

• Baller

Boat: 2012 Mastercraft Prostar 197, 5.7 ILMOR, 2085 hours.

Our club boat has started having low power at times when getting skiers out of the water.

Had issue on Saturday but did not have again till today.

We used boat Saturday (issue), Sunday (no issue), Tuesday (no issue), Wednesday (No issue) and today (issue).

Today pulled 3 skiers (about an hour of running) before issue occurred.

Service required message appears and low power is very noticeable getting skier up and up to speed.

I can cut the boat off for a minute and restart and issue disappears for a couple of more pulls thru the course.

Then issue repeats and I cut off boat and restart and issue disappears for a few pulls.

Temp and oil pressure are good.

Anyone else had this type of issue and if so what was the resolution?

Thanks for any information.

Tom Smothers (oldmanskier)

• Baller
If you're getting a "service required" message there should be engine codes stored in the ECU. I can't recall if that model had any way to read the codes out w/o DIACOM, but in any case you need to know which codes are logged in the ECU as the starting point.

• Baller

I'd get the scanning software & cable from mefiburn, it's about $200 and you can plug it in read codes, scan/log the engine while running but not change any settings.

Then there's the obvious things like fuel filter, fuel pressure, leads/plugs/dizzy cap etc if present.

If you see a dip in fuel pressure, it might not be the pump, if the fuel hoses are original then they may be debonding internally and causing a restriction etc

• Baller

There was a thread on Teamtalk a while ago that stated some of the early MV8's had Indmar ECM's so there is a chance your 2012 has one.

from another TT thread:

The low cost solution;

Get a SAE J1939 protocol scanner for heavy duty trucks, I bought a "Launch CR-HD" scanner from Amazon, $169.99 and you'll need an adapter to connect the scanner OBD-II connector to the marine 6-pin connector on the engine, go to ALDLcable.com and get an "OBD2 to marine 6-pin adapter", their part number "obdmobd", $25.00.

• Baller
handheld diacom thing from rinda should also be an option. I have one and use on malibus and pcm. About $500. I'd give full tune up w filters, cap, etc. and test fuel pressure. If all is good and it occurs again, I'd start thinking about sending injectors off.

• Baller

FYI

We replaced the following parts on our club boat.

Distributor cap, button, fuel injectors, new coil, new relays.

Not for sure which part resolved our issue but the 2012 Master Craft intermittent low power issue was resolved.

Tom Smothers (oldmanskier)gpo