new to zero-off, couple questions

lefty

after many years of wanting a prostar we are proud owners of a 2020. 2nd year skiing in the course 34mph. The adjustment to ZO is proving to be a challenge. have gone from consistent 22 to inconsistent 15. I understand the letters and numbers in theory and am experimenting. question 1-is there great benefit of mapping the course over simply using slalom practice mode set to 34.2? I get that if you map it the boat comes in to the course hot, to what end?

Currently using an HO knotless, very firm line i think. suited our old boat. Am wondering if the consensus is to use a stretchier line with a ZO boat before i go and drop some $ on one?

• Baller

Personally, the softer mainlines and I get along worse with ZO than lines like the Syndicate, but I’ve been improving and ski with a ML Optimized 2.0 now. It took a lot of lousy passes to get used to the Optimized but every event and clinic uses them, so I wanted to keep consistent. I’ve never skied a course with PP so maybe that helps.

I have a tendency to rush turns and load the boat too soon. I spike ZO, the boat starts working against me, the softer line stretches, and then it feels like a slingshot pulling me up and out of position. Didn’t have the rebound with the Syndicate.

Patience out of the turn and working behind the boat are my keys I often try to focus on… and I worry way less about what mainline I use.

Ive read that “A” ZO settings are best for those coming from PP.

Congrats on the new tug.

• Supporting Member

No ZO setting is similar to Perfect Pass. ZO actively reacts to the skier, so what seems "close" to PP for one skier may be totally different than for a different skier.

Just have to try them until you find something you can work with.

The only generic hint I can give is that you *probably* don't want to use 3 unless you are heavy and powerful. So at least try the other 6 options before trying A3 B3 C3.

• Baller
It's not you Lefty....Everyone hated zero off when we got stuck with it years ago! You're just late to the party! But remember, after 15 years or so, we're all indifferent to it. Maybe in another 15, we'll love it.

• Baller

Thanks folks. am using A1 and feeling good now. Sticking with HO line. Its a floating course so next time we deploy it i will try the mapping function. More we ski this boat the more we like it-such an improvement for both skier and driver. All our ski buddies also seem to like it-a lot!!

@liquid d late to the party is an understatement-got serious about course skiing when I was 50 lol

• Baller
Was skiing with a Perfect Pass skier last night who couldn't care less about ZO settings. I always pulled him B2 as a "default" but without telling him, 3 passes in, switched to A1 and his passes looked way better, and buoy count improved. Perhaps coincidence but there was a difference. I still haven't told him, and he wouldn't care if I did, ha.

• Baller
FWIW I used B2 a number of times before changing to A1 based on some reading into the theory of letters and numbers and on what I felt was the issue. I could see maybe A2 orB1 my next experiment

• Baller

In the new boats with 5.3-6.0-6.2 engines:

Highly recommend B1 as a starting point.

The exception is a single puck Nautique, I’d start at A1 then slide it from there.

Dual pucks, B2 for all boats is a great easy setting to start with.

There’s also a reason why the majority of 34mph short line skiers are B or A and not C.

Rarely would recommend C unless the skier is quite advanced and a strong edge changer second spray outbound.