Converting custom settings from a 67 to 66 inch ski

alex38

• Baller

Is there any right way to do that or is it irrelevant.

Would I want to look at the differences in stock settings of that ski and apply to 66 inch ski?

Or would I want to look at the differences on the 67 to stock and apply those differences to the 66.

• Baller
An inch difference in ski size is a BIG difference and will of course ski differently. I wouldn’t encourage anyone to try to convert a variance in settings from another length. Start at stock and adjust from there. I just did this going from 67 GTR to a 66 DV8. Still dialing in the DV8.

• Baller_
If you are on the same ski in different sizes, I’d start the new ski with the same numbers as the old ski and adjust from there, with the first adjustment being to move the fin forward of the new ski is longer or back if shorter. If you want a shot in the dark, take the same length and depth and go 10/1000 forward on the longer ski and vice versa.

Lpskier

• Baller
@lpskier i thought of doing that; just throwing the fin settings on the new ski. The settings I’m converting are from a 67 to a 66 but the 67 numbers are only from previous posted suggestions for that size -I never had the 67. Great input Ty.

• Baller_
@alex38 A lot of skiers will take their fin numbers from the ski they are currently riding and start with those numbers on a new ski of a different brand. Point is, that if you have an odd setting that works for you on ski x , those numbers may work for you on a different ski with slight adjustments.

Lpskier

• Baller
@alex38 - in your case as you’re asking about going from a 67 to a 66, IMO it doesn’t make sense to try and convert your 67 settings, as some may have been made to make it ski closer to what a 66 will do out of the box. For example if you moved the fin forward on the 67 one effect would be the ski would feel shorter, which a 66 already is. From my chair starting at stock with a different length ski is the way to go.

• Administrators

@lpskier Yes a lot of skiers do what you describe them but I think it is a terrible idea. Taking the settings from one ski and applying those settings to a completely different ski is the equivalent of just using random numbers. Every ski requires something a little different.

I guess the rhe exception is people that always start with Mapple settings. 6.850/2.510/.8ish

• Baller

@alex38

if its the same brand ski and you're going down in size going from a 67 to 66 and want to match your current settings; the only 3 settings that change are:

Half inch less on boot measurement, 5 thousands less depth and 5 thousandths back for DFT.

If you're going up in ski size the above is opposite

Hope this helps.

• Baller

Cole made it simple. If I’m trying to match numbers given to me from a 67 to put on a 68, I go to the chart and see what the stock differences are. I would add. You would subtract.

But, all the other methods mentioned just show all the approaches that work for others. Sounds like there is varying success with all methods too, so maybe no wrong or right