Rotator cuff surgery and slalom

clausy

Had surgery 6 months ago. Two of four muscles repaired and bicep tendon repair. Feeling good in weight room and golf. Would like to get back to the course. 59 yo. Any advice is helpful?

• Baller
One of my ski partners had major shoulder surgery last June and started skiing again this past February, he followed all Dr's and pt"s instructions, started out on jumpers, moved to combo skis then his slalom with free skiing for a while, he's fully back now.

• Baller
Had surgery in September of last year with a 95% tear. I've been on the water since June. Would have been earlier but weather wouldn't cooperate. I'm sure you've talked with your doctor. If he says your good then go for it. The forces on the shoulder skiing are a little different than the force that tore you tendon. That being said I can see situations while skiing that would put your shoulder in a compromised position. I think I was told it's a year before fully healed but I think after about six months you're 80% and then the remainder 20% heal is over the remaining year. Take it easy, if it hurts then stop. Good luck.

• Baller
@clausy There is another discussion started back on 3/12/22 titled "Post Rotator Cuff Surgery/ Goode Power Vest" Lots of good info and opinions from many skiers who have had Rotator cuff issues & surgery. I have been checking it out, I am 3 weeks post Rotator Cuff tendon repair surgery with a bit of bicep tendon repair also. Age will be a factor in recovery time of course, you are a young guy, I just got my Medicare Card. Hope to be back fully for next year. Good luck with your recovery.

• Baller

@clausy Sorry to hear about your injuries. Looks like light is at the end of the tunnel for you.

If you've been diligent with your therapy and regaining strength/range of motion.....you should be ready to get back on the water real soon.

I had my surgery in December '15 and was skiing mid to late June '16. I wasn't doing anything crazy but it was great to get back on the water and gradually build up my confidence over the next several weeks.

It's been over 5 years since I've had my surgery and don't have any negative effects from the surgery (knock on wood, ha).

Good luck on your continued recovery and getting back on the water!

• Baller
@clausy Not the same injury but close I had a partial labrum tear, no surgery, It took me 7 months to get back to skiing. 1 month of resting, 3 months of PT, and 3 months of working out getting back to full strength. My only advice is work your @ss off in PT/ and getting your range of motion back like @ISP6ball said above it makes a world of difference.

• Baller_

You can test your vulnerability with on land rope handling simulation. I have both shoulders with a total tear. Doc said I could postpone surgery if I wanted to try skiing. 3 months ago I couldn't lift either arm to horizontal. When they started to feel better, I did some land exercise and found their was no discomfort with pulling with elbows at the hips. I have been skiing hard every day for a month with no discomfort. Deep water starts with two full boots feels like I am pushing the limit, but that's getting better as well. I know all this fun could end with the wrong fall so I never fall.

I had a bicep tear at another time in the past. I learned not to use the biceps for accelerating because that's how it happened in cold weather. The damage bicept still hurts when I engage it too hard, reminding be to just relax an keep straight arms when skiing.

I wish you the very best and of course every case is different. Principally, mine is pre-surgery not post-surgery which will be next summer.

• Baller

@clausy I had a similar procedure to yours and repaired a complete tear of the supraspinatus and a partial tear of the bicep tendons. ( I was 54 years old) For 6 months I followed the rehab instructions to the letter and was clear by my surgeon to waterski again. I was too scared to jump right into it at first, and used a Goode Powervest which I had for the first attempts. After a couple of sets I went back to my normal vest with no problems.

Take it slow, listen to your doctor and you will ski again as before. Good luck.

• Baller
@Mazda yep, same surgery minus the bicep. I went above and beyond on my therapy. My therapist was a tournament skier!! He wanted me to start out on 2 I went straight to slalom in the course and ran my opener. Hurt like heck (sharp stabbing pain) for about 3 months when I would shoot the Handle falling on the 1,3,5 ( left shoulder). Shoulder is 100% it’s been 10 years.

• Baller

I had a large tear 5 weeks ago. Had surgery 4 weeks ago today, and done for the season. I'll work all winter and hope, with the experience on BOS, be back with some confidence this spring, which should give me about 9 months.