Late 80s-Early 90s

DiamondLake_Skier

This is extremely open ended discussion but I'm planning to pick up an older ski boat in the coming months. Right now i'm thinking late 80s Mastercraft 190 (boat a grew up skiing behind) but i'm considering other brands. Any items I should look out for or avoid in that era?

Wanting to stick to Malibu, Mastercraft, Ski Nautique or Tige. Any other brands I should be considering?

• Baller
Why that old of a boat? I grew up skiing with an 80's MasterCraft but would never want to ski that boat now. Look for something in the 2000 even if you're looking to save money initially you will end up spending more in repairs and/or restoring something old

• Baller
I had my '89 Prostar for about 20 years, and it was very reliable. I did have to do a few things to it, but nothing major out of necessity. I did put GT40 heads on it which really gave it a nice boost in power, which it needed. I have not skied behind any other late '80's boats, but from the friends I've talked to who have, the Prostar was by far everyone's favorite boats of the 80's as far as ski wake. Added bonus is that I believe MC was the only one using fiberglass stringers that early ('83 I think), most others didn't switch until the 90's.

The Prostar 190 is easily the most prevalent tournament ski boat in the area and fairly easy to come by for the most part. All other brands are few and far between but i've been keeping an eye out.

The reason I'm going older is mainly due to price and upkeep. I know many people are afraid of the older boats but in reality they are cheaper, easy to find parts for, and easier to maintain compared to a newer boat. Inboards are so simple in the late 80s and early 90s, I much prefer them over the mid 90 EFI boats.

• Baller

The 91 and newer is a far dryer softer ride than the 87 to 90 hull.

I consider the 91 prostar and the 90+ SN to be the first "modern era" ski boats that being the interiors and hulls aren't drastically less useful than the next 10 to 15 years. VS the hulls before them which are smaller lower harsher and have lots of spray and bad low speed wakes.

• Baller

@Andre , all three engines had one stuck valve each, causing a loss of compression on a cylinder. GM warranties the longblocks to Ilmor, so when there's an issue like this with an engine under warranty, it simply gets replaced. I had the heads reworked and the engine builder said it looked like bad machining/clearance from the mfg.

I came across these on Facebook marketplace and didn't ask too many questions.. but I have been in contact with Ilmor for some help, and they dont seem to mind that I have them.