Moving to hardshell - Reflex or HO/Edge?

DerrisB

Considering moving to a hardshell binding setup off the Radar Vapor boot, specifically either the Reflex Classic or the Edge One. Looking for Pros and Cons of both these. Still planning to keep the Radar HRT in the back, I do love that thing. Any actual on the water experience with one or both would be outstanding. Thanks,

• Baller

I am happy with my Edge. I got it because Reflex was on a long backorder when I was shopping years ago. The new Edge has the 840 stainless release and the boot buckles are nice and smooth.

I was using an HRT like you and eventually went to Reflex R-style in back, but both setups rock.

HO edge plate seems great, but what about fast release with all the carbon around the shell ??? Also their hardshell do not have ankle protection against a maximum flexion while Reflex have a rear strap (+ bolts on mine). It helps when falling/looping to the front

• Baller
So I have skied long periods of time on both set ups. The edge boot is a tighter fit than the reflex. They are both good products however the edge has little more solid connection to the plate and ski. However I didn’t feel a performance advantage to this feel. But what i did notice is the edge system would not want to release on a twisting fall as well as the reflex. ON a out the front fall they were equal. The reflex was safer to me if twisting. Most of my mistakes are out the front so they BOTH drew blood on my rear shin equally!!! The reflex boot was harder to get adjusted the same each set and I preferred the buckles on the edge for that reason. Neither boot moved freely at all until I used a white collar reflex boot. The white collar boot is a touch softer on the top and moved nice. The Edge boot has touch more knee forward over the toe stance and doesn’t move back as far as the reflex boots. Hope this helps some.

• Administrators
I have and have skied lot in all of the Reflex based systems except for the Goode version. ( I am sure the Goode boot is really good and I want one.) At the end of the day they all release the same. The differences are the feel of the boots themselves. I can see the logic behind the arguments above but more than anything is it about the way your foot fits in the boot and how it skis. I have no problem recommending any of the above mentioned systems.

• Members

@Horton, I believe Goode discontinued their Reflex release boot. I forget the exact story, but it had to do with a weak, unreliable plastic part that kept breaking and causing pre-releases.

Clicking the banner immediately to the left of this text box confirms that they are no longer for sale. Probably for the best you did not get one.

FWIW, I ski on a Goode XTR with reflex classic front and modified R style back. I can't say this set up has increased my performance, but I have been very happy with how it releases in falls. I have never (knock on wood) had it pre-release.

• Administrators

@brettmainer Not surprised. The reason I always wanted to ski with the Goode version was how soft the shell was. I can see how that creates issues with release.

Let me know if you want me to tweak your settings. I am sure I can make it pre-release.

• Baller
@lpskier Yes, that is correct, most of the Radar boots can be used on the MOB system. And the HRT or any other style rear boot can be used with the system.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

I saw first hand a goode shell in their "reflex" release plate break this season. Shell cracked on the inside lower boot below the hinge point. Was only a few months old.

It was my impression it is stiffer than the reflex classic shell, as this skier was coming off that exact binding for that reason The shell can't flex so it snaps instead.

• Baller

I’m not pro reflex over other brands, but this is unfair. HO Quality many times better?they both use the same release and same type plate, both SS toe bars (different style) and just different skate shell. Unless any of the two makes a boot without steel buckles, that don’t rust, I don’t see why HO system is many times better over reflex or vise versa.obviously they don’t ski exactly the same, so I’d say that it mostly comes down to personal preference.

• Baller

@customski what are you interested in about the EVO? I personally think FM markets it improperly by focusing on it being "simple" when its not really that simple.

What it does let you do is have sort of a hardshell that acts like a rubber boot more than other hardshell systems on the market. the bungies across the foot mean the lower shell bends and moves a fair bit more than if you add buckles to the shell. And the upper cuff gives you some of that high ankle support people like out of highwrap rubber boots.

But the negative is that it doesn't have that on the dock simplicity of got your shell on, snap into the ski like you get with MOB/Reflex. So you end up with a hardshell system that you would normally unbuckle in the water then pull out. But that means you can accidentally disconnect the cuff in the water.

And when you do crash and release the cuff off the ski you end up with a cuff around your ankle and a liner. The liner floats and usually they both stay on your ankle but then you have to remove the cuff on the platform and loosen the bolts and slide the washers back over the lower shell and snug it up again then put your foot back in. I found that to be disagreeable compared to the ease of other systems.

I briefly tried this system when coming off the FM quattro but just ended up mounting an FM shell on a MOB so at the end of your set or if you crash and release you just click back in or you can release and paddle to shore just like a reflex style boot.

• Baller

@BraceMakerThankyou for that detailed explanation of the Fm system.Personally I’ve not used any of them apart from either D3 Bindings or Radar Bindings, The main reason I was interested in them was the lack of a click in/clamp style brace that the Reflex/Edge systems use as I have witnessed some fairly nasty crashes from pre releases.After more research and deliberation we believe the Reflex/Edge system will be fine as long as the wear and tear is managed and of course the correct tension settings too.It’s definitely horses for courses and have talked to happy FM Evo skiers as well as plenty of people using Reflex skis without the crashes that concerned me.Hope to have something worked out for some afternoon skiing tomorrow.