How we got to be the first people to ski at Veteran's Park in Milwaukee

jhughes

• Baller

Though algae blooms and whatnot have caused the Malibu open to move to South Carolina starting in 2017, those years in Milwaukee from 2010 to 2016 at the lakefront were really cool. 2010 especially, man, everyone showed up and it was so incredibly amazing.

I've had this story (link below as well) banging around in my head for a while and finally got it down on paper with images and everything. My boat played a teeny tiny part in the grand scheme of things but hopefully you find this to be a fun read:

https://joeldhughes.medium.com/how-we-got-to-be-the-first-people-to-waterski-on-veterans-park-lagoon-in-milwaukee-59bf5c319880

And an OG pic of Jamie B from 2010 just for fun:

iz2ur1lqignw.jpeg

• Baller
Such a cool story @jhughes!! I was fortunate to be able to go one year and compete I think 2015. What a unreal feeling getting to ski right next to the city. I remember skiing early in the morning, it was pretty cool out. The lagoon was Shallow, and had a pretty quick setup but it was an awesome experience. One of the coolest sites they had as a pro stop back then no doubt.

• Baller

I drove 2 1/2 hrs to attend. Fantastic place to watch. I did cringe when skiers had to walk out of the lagoon. I can't imagine the bottom is clear of multiple sharp objects.

Most certainly having a location like that for a practice and amateur tournament site would be great for the sport.

• Baller
Thanks @jhughes our family travelled twice from north side of Toronto. Tossed a Chicago trip in one year and the high speed ferry across Lake Michigan the next. Milwaukee was a great city, and exceeded all expectations. Spent the first year at same hotel as athletes, with kid’s getting lots of autographs and memories.