Need Help Picking Boat- Supra, MC or SN

wakeslayer427

Hello everyone and I'm 58 years old and will be getting back into rec skiing asap. I have narrowed choice down to 3 boats, a 1994 MC Pro Star 190, 1998 Supra Comp and a 1998 Ski Nautique. I will never have more than 4-6 people on boat and it will be used for Slalom (mainly), tubing, kneeboard, wakeboarding and cruising. I understand that the MC and SN are the favorites, but the Supra has a aluminum Monster Tower and better stereo, while MC and SN don't have a tower. The tower would seem to help with storage but not a deal breaker. All have SBC engines, PP and only the Supra is carbed. Gel Coat, interior and hours all similar and I have wrench skills. Am I stupid for considering the Supra and does anyone have any advice ??

• Baller

Nautique first. Great boat. Get it fast.

Then MC if you miss the nautique

Unless you are a carb guy, then maybe the Supra is interesting w the tower. Adding a tower is likey easier than swapping to fuel injected engine…

6 people will be a handful on all of those boats.

Most on this forum are skiing with 2-3 people and want best ski wake possible.

• Baller

As much as I like that era MC (and own one), get the Ski Nautique. Much nicer boat. I had a 1999 196 for a bit and miss it.

Don't get a Supra for the tower. I'd say add a tower to the Nautique if you need one but that hurts us all... maybe a pylon extension with board/ski racks if needed?

• Baller

Another SN vote, owned a 2000 and skied a '97 regularly same hull. Same comments about the # of people in the boat--but I will say this--the SN was less weight sensitive for wake. If we had a driver, a driver plus spotter, a driver plus two 200 lb spotters the hole shot was different by my wake at 28 off n shorter equivocal. Also the SN is just built like a brick-so solid.

In other news--skip the carb. Get the EFI. It's not that you can't run carb I also skied a '87 carb MC for many years, but you will be way happier EFI and yes could add a tower easier than a motor swap as noted.

• Baller

Wakeslayer:

Owned a ‘93 ProStar with the LT1 corvette engine and owned both a ‘97 and a 2000 SkiNautique.

ProStar had great wake for that era. But, Ski Nautique superior in build quality, tracking, and the wake: as good as it gets. Every line length is so so soft. Get the Nautique. Easy choice

• Baller

I had a 98 Supra. The wake was very good 22 and shorter. Tracked very well, easy to drive. Very little spray (can only speak for up to 35 off). Loved that boat. Yeah, no wood, at all.

Oh, I had the open bow version, called the Legacy. Same hull as the Comp. Plenty of room for 6. If running the slalom course and using the pylon, maybe 4 or 5 with a jump seat. We would put the jump seat behind the driver.