SprayMakers Listener Appreciation Episodes

Chris Rossi

• Baller
Just wanted to take a sec and thank all of you loyal listeners of the SprayMakers podcast. Trent and I have thoroughly enjoyed sharing this experience with all of you and would like to once again seek out questions/topics that you would be interested in hearing us discuss on the final episodes of the season. We will pick a few each week and give a shout out to those that submitted the questions we choose. One question per comment please but no limit to how many you can submit. Thanks again for listening!

• Baller

Love the podcast, thanks for all the hard work on it.

Been hearing about shoulders being square to the handle. Can you elaborate on this concept more? Is it just avoid trying to "ski to the shore" and ride the handle up. Also, simpler semi-related question, why is dipping you shoulder so bad?

• Baller

I would like to hear your methods or suggestions for learning new line lengths.

Example: I run the majority of 22/36 but usually go down by 4 at -28. I can scrap through 28/34 most the time but there’s plenty of room for improvement. What might my ideal practice set look like if my goal is running 28/36 consistently?

What are some key things to consider with timing or technique as the line gets shorter?

• Baller

Hi Chris and Trent

No direct question from me. Just a massive thank you as your podcasts have educated me on the ‘why’ and that’s made so so much difference.

Your gates episodes lead to my best ski session ever and for that I can’t thank you enough.

https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/27425/spraymakers-listener-appreciation-episodes

Previously I’d only been trying to learn the ‘what’ to do but it just wasn’t sticking with me. I wasn’t looking for ‘causes’ when bad ‘effects’ occurred as I was assuming my ‘how’ at that moment was wrong.

Your podcasts have educated the ‘why’ so now the ‘how’ makes sense and when something is not quite right I know to look earlier to identify the ‘cause’

Actually maybe that’s my question: How far back does a skier look to identify the cause of the effect?

• Baller
Awesome podcast, thanks for the work. My question is this: For the gates, if you over-pull/mis-judge tailwind/etc. and find yourself going too far down course for the gate turn in, what is your go to move to quickly bleed speed and not destroy your relationship with the boat to hit the gates in a tournament?

• Baller

There’s a lot of body position and alignment things to remember in each pass and it becomes very difficult to remember everything once the adrenaline kicks in. Do you have any on shore drills or workout techniques that you do to help build that into your muscle memory out on the water?

Thank you both for a great podcast! It’s helped me out a bunch.

• Baller
The one circle I can't seem to square is where shoulders and chest should be pointed and effect on arms. I often hear you mention that your chest should be facing the pylon but that your inside arm should be bent with elbow down and outside arm straight. If your chest was facing the pylon, wouldn't both of your arms just be straight all the time?

• Baller
We hear a lot about Chis and Trent coaching......So how do we get to ski with Chris or Trent? It's not like dropping into any school in the Orlando area. I've skied with Rini and Freddy a few times. Like to mix it up some and able to travel anywhere.

• Baller
Given that you want to start cut through gates when skier speed matches boat speed and you adjust pullout timing to adjust where this situation occurs, what is the goal for when the skier should be initiating turn in for gates. What are the visual clues for knowing you are at the right spot? I can adjust my pullout timing; but, I do not know the goal point that I am adjusting to for the optimal path. How does this change at the various line lengths?

• Baller

Thank you very much! 1.Question: If a good turn is executed correctly should the handle end up in the middle of yr body or near yr outside hip bone for maximum acceleration into the first wake?

2. When learning how to get into a better skiing position would you guys recommend pushing yr hips forward in the direction of travel so our shoulders are not leading?

3. I have often thought about a wider handle and how it might help reduce the amount of rotation with our upper body until we learn to connect properly.... Thoughts?

4. To achieve a balanced position on yr ski do either of you think about flexing yr ankles forward while standing tall?

• Baller

Would you guys say it is impossible to get tall at centerline or shortly thereafter to transition from cutting edge to turning edge if we do not start our turn in from a wider position on the boat? Therefore, we pull long because our runway is so short often leaving some skiers more compressed with very little space to stand up on our ski..... Thankyou