Remounting inserts

BKistler

An insert came out of my D3 Aira. It didn't pull straight out. It unscrewed, so there are still viable "threads" in the fiberglass. However, the insert is toast.

Any hints on proper way to remount inserts? I've never done it before.

• Baller

Get a longer screw that fits the insert and 2nuts. Put the nuts on the screw, screw that assembly into the insert to nearly full depth and tighten the nuts together against the insert so the screw cannot be turned into the insert further. Use the screw to install the insert (may need to add a dab of epoxy or glue if the threads in the ski are damaged). Once installed, hold the screw and back off the jam nuts then remove the screw.

Or, I have recently found inserts that have a small notch in the top that allow you to put them in with a flat head screwdriver.

• Baller

@BKistler what happened to the insert that came out with the screw? On D3s and Radars, you can usually reuse the same insert, as long as the hole is intact and there’s no need to use new oversized ones.

You can unscrew the sized screw from the insert, just be gentle not to damage the outside threads, before reinstalling, run a 8/32 tap if needed and do what @bojans says above.

• Baller
In the future, back out your screws slowly. If you notice the insert backing out, reach between the ski top and the plate with a needle nose pliers and grab the insert, then try backing out the screw. I've had this happen before with a tricky insert and that method worked for me to get it loose. Once I had the plate off, I took out the insert, put some JB weld on it, build an "insert setter" tool which is what @bojans describes above, and put it back in place. It's still holding up well for its new owner.