2022 MasterCraft Pro

Horton

• Administrators

MCPROPOLK CITY, Fla., September 19, 2022 - Action Water Sports and MasterCraft Boat Company are excited to announce the 2022 MasterCraft Pro professional water ski event held at Lake Grew at Action Water Sports near Orlando, FL. The event will feature the world’s elite men’s and women’s professional water skiers and professional jumpers.

The competition begins on Friday, September, 23rd at 9 AM EDT with the men and women’s slalom preliminaries. The professional tournament will conclude Saturday, September 24th with men’s jump finals. The event will be held at Action Water Sports, 1251 Holy Cow Rd located off I-4 in Polk City, FL. For the full list of events and world-wide broadcast link, visit www.actionwater.com/mastercraft-pro/

The entire event is open to the public with no cost of entry and free parking. Food and drinks will be available for purchase on-site.

“The water ski history and culture runs deep in Central Florida and we are excited to partner with MasterCraft again to bring this world class professional event to this community,” said Action Water Sports General Manager Phil Miklo. “This exciting event will also provide a great opportunity to get your family together and experience watersports competition at the highest level.”

Featured waterskiers competing will be Freddy Krueger, Karen Truelove, Freddie Winter and many more.

“Since our founding in 1968, one of our goals has been to cultivate and support waterskiing globally,” said Vice President of Global Sales for MasterCraft, Matt McDevitt. “With the best athletes coming from around the world to compete, spectators can watch top-tier competition and experience first-hand the MasterCraft ProStar, the world’s best selling ski boat.”

For more information on the event, schedule and location, or to tune into the world-wide broadcast, visit www.actionwater.com/mastercraft-pro/ or contact Andre Broussard by email at andreb@actionwater.com.

About Action Water Sports

Action Water Sports is a premier MasterCraft Boat Company and Barletta Pontoons dealer who has been bringing families together on the water for over 30 years. With four locations in Florida and Michigan, Action Water Sports strives to set the bar for excellence for service within the Central Florida boating community. They are a major contributor to the watersports community hosting many grassroots events as well as pro waterski and wakeboard events over the last few years. For more information, visit www.actionwater.com.

About MasterCraft

MasterCraft is a world-renowned innovator, designer, manufacturer, and marketer of premium performance sport boats. Founded in 1968, MasterCraft has cultivated its iconic brand image through a rich history of industry-leading innovation, and more than four decades after the original MasterCraft made its debut, the company’s goal remains the same - to continue building the world’s best ski, wakeboard, wake surf and luxury performance powerboats.

• Baller

I'm currently in recovery from a LisFranc. Unlike Nate, I have fractures, not just ligaments. No weight on it allowed. 6-8 weeks recovery. Weird fall, back foot came out partially, didn't come out clean and completely. T-Factor.@eyepeeler , yesterday they said Nate was skiing on a "recreational" ski. ??? No other details.

• Baller

That pylon cap coming off highlights bad and dangerous engineering by Mastercraft at their own event. You can see the boat crew tightening it many times during competition. The cap constantly comes loose on other Prostars I’ve skied too and it has to be checked. The friction in one threaded fastener should never be all that is relied upon for safety, especially with vibrations and rotation against it. It wouldn’t have cost much to add a locking method here and there’s plenty of room for one. Thank goodness no one was hurt at the even when it came off but MC needs to update the design. I’m using this at work to teach young engineers why we have requirements that do not allow such a design.

• Baller

@VermontSkier I have seen it come loose but never come off while skiing. I was actually the boat driver in the same boat when it almost happened to us. Thank goodness my boat judge Scott Greenwood caught it just before we pulled the skier. It comes unscrewed, nothing breaks. All they need to do is put a little blue Loctite on it.

• Baller

@skierjp it should never come loose. This comes off going across the wakes and it’s a really bad day. Also, that metal hits you in the mouth or eye and it’s a real bad day with stitches or more. As an engineer, there is no excuse for not including some method of thread retention. I’m going to add thread locker to ours but that is not really the right solution for high vibration applications like this.

• Baller

Don't think that Mastecraft manufactures the pylons. Still, even if it's manufactured by a third party, it's still their responsibility to make sure that it's built and designed properly. I am surprised that there isn't a set screw that locks in the threaded ball. My '93 has one.

• Baller

I saw weeds coming up in the spray of numerous skiers this weekend. I also noticed Regina subtly made mention of weeds being an issue on her final pass.

Do you think this was an issue for several skiers, or isolated situations?

It's unfortunate if that truly was an issue on her pass....

I feel like people would've been critical if skiers would've requested a re-ride but could they have?

• Baller

After Regina crashed, she pointed down course and the boat went back and picked up a wad of weeds that I had seen floating around earlier. I thought she was going to ask for a reride but apparently did not. The lake has a lot of eel grass or some such in it.

• Baller

@vtmecheng MasterCraft introduced the WearGuard™ Pylon in 1989 in order to reduce ratcheting and prevent rope wear. These early WearGuard™ pylons had an Allen bolt which secured the pylon top to the pylon.

The 2014-2020 ProStar used two different pylons over the lifespan of the hull (one from ’14-’17 and another from ’18-’20) and neither had an issue with top. I spent thousands of hours in this hull driving and coaching.

For whatever reason on the 2021-2022 boats the top on some of the pylons seem to come loose but others have no issue. (maybe the tolerances aren’t quite right between the thread and the insert on some pylons)

An Allen bolt was added to the top of the pylon for model year 2023, but the boats used to pull the event were 2022 models which were performing really well (as evidenced by the scores produced during the event).

• Baller

@Broussard thank you for the information. I knew that the pylons have been different over the years, using screws for many of the years. Whatever the reason for the recent issues, it's good that they have added a screw to the top for 2023. I plan to apply some threadlocker to ours and tighten with rubber strap wrench. Hopefully that will be enough. We deal with enough danger in this sport to have yet another thing.

One addition: Non-captive threaded fasteners in a vibration environment is always asking for problems. Any engineer who has been around the block a few times with this kind of design work has seen it. At my employer we have lessons learned training on this every few years just so the new engineers don't make the mistake.

• Baller_

Is the design for the '21-22 ball simply screws on to the pylon? Sounds that way given comments on how to tighten using a strap wrench and looking at the MC video. If so, assuming right hand threads the rope going from port to starboard will exert an unscrewing torque if I envision this correctly. Reminds me of my buddy's old MG with knock off wire wheels, he put the threaded wheel stud on opposite side (LH and RH threads) and after a few wheels falling off ...

• Baller

@Dacon62 teflon tape is odd stuff. Its purpose isn't to increase tightness or seal on tapered pipe fittings but rather to allow more degrees of turning ie lower friction so that a pipe joint is tighter. I wouldnt use it in this application at all.

My guess is that the bolts are too long vs the threaded hole depth. I would make sure the bolt isnt too long.

Beyond that it is possible the stem on the pylon is too short but the head shouldn't want to loosen.

Frankly youd machine a morse taper onto the top of the pylon and then a morse taper into the ball socket so the torque on the bolt would seat the tapers together.

But if not just make sure the bolt can bottom out before installing add red loctite and torque it then make sure the delrin is loose.

• Baller

@Sunapee - I heard that on the broadcast, but the tournament was sanctioned as R. The wider tolerances spoken of are only for E/L AFIK,

I was not there so not pointing fingers at Chris who is a world class driver, it may have been a glitch with Surepath, something I've seen myself recently at a tournament in Palm Bay. I was boat judge and the driver who was getting excellent Surepath numbers the whole set suddenly got wild numbers (-35, -25, -30, etc.). It happened twice to him and once to another driver, both times in the same direction. No idea what causes that (no way either of them was that far off).

At the Mastercraft tournament, they spoke a few times of the wind shifting to a cross from the head/tail and that can be an issue if it's strong enough. I've spoken with Will Bush about this as we had a very strong cross at Okeeheelee earlier this year and it was enough to move the course out from under the Surepath GPS coordinates. He said when that happens you have to go to end course.

I'm fine if it was a glitch in the system or they determined the cross wind shifted the course, but if it was a red screen with say one buoy more than 20cm, then I want to know why no reride...