Anyone had experience with Zebra Mussels and a permanent portable cable course ?

swbca

• Baller_

I have been given permission to take over the use and maintenance of a slalom course on our lake that has previously been floated for a few days occasionally when the owner is staying at his "second" home on this lake. He has a 24/7 permit.

Until now the Stainless Steel and PCV cable course has been dropped to the bottom of the lake 20'-40' depth from one end to other year around except for about 10 days when its floated. Zebra mussels don't attach at that water depth.

The course is only useful to me and my ski partner if its up 24/7 because we ski every morning wind permitting at 7:30 am before work. There is no time or personnel to float or install a course for every slalom set.

The owner of the course pointed out that his submerged locator buoy 5 feet down gets completely covered by Zebra Mussels.

Has anyone had experience maintaining a Stainless steel / PVC slalom course that is surfaced 24/7 from May to October in a lake infested with Zebra Mussels ?

This stock photo is how bad it can be ? Our boat lift frame gets covered but not this bad in a seasonj5ygo7x3cuql.jpg

Its a beautiful lake and the water is crystal clear because of the zebra Mussels eating everything.yckibbsu7uwb.png

• Baller

Almost every lake I ski in is full of zebra muscles. Couple permanent courses, couple stainless/PCV floating.

Scrubbing twice per year seems to do the trick. Maybe once if it’s sunk that deep in winter. I put on gloves and swim the course holding the mainline, knocking muscles off as I swim. When you get to an arm, a bristle brush works well to scrub the PVC. Doesn’t take long.

We have a course in a lake that has a lot of zebra muscles. We take our course out at the end of the year and power wash & scrub off all the zebra muscles. We even power wash the the entire mainline. It does take a couple of hours but well worth it to keep it clean for the next year. The lake across the street from us doesn't do this and their pvc pipes are sagging now.