What makes Charlie Ross so good?

Horton

• Baller

He's never learned bad habits for most of his skiing career and had to relearn how to ski correctly. Growing up in a talented family and having year round access to the best equipment and ski site probably helped some too. Saw him ski at the Masters this year... great skiing for such a young guy.

• Baller

Ok, you got my attention :DHonored by the comments, thank you. I'll help:

1. drive
  2. work ethic
  3. brains
  4. Bergman
  5. many talented competitors to watch, older and younger. The field is full of exceedingly outstanding people--full of skills, discipline, and imagination. Most in the group would excel by any metric in just about anything they wanted to
  6. all the items listed in the comments above (support system)

Thank you again (Horton) for the kind comments and attention. It's a long road to hoe--you'd better love the process (and all that good stuff)

• Like 3

• Administrators

@drew I have no doubt about the truth of everything you wrote above. Obviously having a father who was an elite skier is a significant factor. Access to the best coaches in the world is a factor.

My question is technically what is he doing differently that sets him apart. What are the lessons to be learned from watching him ski? How has he ( or you ) prioritized the skills that are most important?

• Baller_

Charlie has a distinctive body position as he completes his turns on both sides. He breaks at the hips/waist keeping his upper body almost upright through the turns. Check the video. Some other top skiers do this as well, but not as upright as Charlie. Back when Carl Roberge won the Nationals (in Texas) and a World slalom title he also had this distinctive upper body animation as he completed his turns on his most difficult rope lengths.

• Administrators

@jayskiseriously, he is diminishing his lean and roll angle before the centerline. This video is an easy pass and I am sure he can not do that at 39 or shorter but it is interesting. 

• Baller

@Horton You're figuring me out 😉  He's changing his edge at the right time for him. It looks "early" to others (many?), or feels unnaturally early when you're trying it.

Ultimately, IMHO, an edge change through center line is the most correct. If you're late, at a slower speed, and depending on your ski setup, you gotta pull longer. It's not the best situation, but happens often and the "best" learn how to fix it.

• Like 2

• Administrators

@Drago Yes. I point this out because I think a lot of skiers pull/lean longer because of the factors you mention but do not think it is a problem. Pulling long is the result of other factors AND it creates issues going to the next ball.

• Baller

His position/timing with the boat and ZO throttle input plays a huge factor in his path through CL and the trajectory into the ball.   Disrupt that timing and you'll see him start to pull and lean much longer.

Doesn't hurt he has a surface area to weight ratio the rest of of may never have the luxury to experience.

Edited by adamhcaldwell
  • Like 6

• Baller

I see him coming back to the handle with less angle, getting stacked, and then really driving into CL as he increases cross course angle.  Does hooking up with less angle like that allow him to maintain more speed, therefore he doesn’t have to spike ZO until he is closer to CL or at all?  Does that extra speed make the earlier edge change possible?  

• Like 1

• Baller_
8 hours ago, adamhcaldwell said:

His position/timing with the boat and ZO throttle input plays a huge factor in his path through CL and the trajectory into the ball.   Disrupt that timing and you'll see him start to pull and lean much longer.

Doesn't hurt he has a surface area to weight ratio the rest of of may never have the luxury to experience.

C'mon @adamhcaldwell get off your butt and get going on the 72" C95 so the rest of can experience that luxury!😁

Very valid observation that unfortunately I don't think will translate well for the non-skinny crowd.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Administrators

When Smith popped on the scene, he was light & skinny and riding a 67-in ski. Everybody just thought he was a freak.

Charlie is even lighter than Smith was and again riding a 67. I don't know what Charlie actually weighs but my guess is he's in the range for a 65.

This has a lot of people scratching their heads. There's a lesson in there somewhere

• Baller

I normally ski a 67 and weight in at 180 -185 when in ski shape. Last spring I was dealing with an ankle issue so I wanted to take it easy the first month or so. I hopped onto a 2012 69.5 inch Strada I have around for biggers guys. I was generating so much speed I could not slow down for the turns. No matter how much I got on the front or it and I was running 12 deg wing to try help. Some of the biggest crashes in the turns I have ever had. This did not help my ankle so I gave up.

I get the acceleration part but how does he slow it down enough to turn, that's my question.

• Baller

@Drago I’ll agree he is not spiking ZO as heavier skiers would. He does still load and zero off will still be responding. He still has to manage that the same as the rest of us.  Yes I know he is lighter and the forces created may be less as a result but he also is not as strong as a fully grown professional athlete.  To me his success is a result of  what he is doing either differently or better than others and not just him simply being lighter.  

• Like 3

• Baller

@Bruce_Butterfield  hahaha......What do you think we have been doing since day one?? 

Not to take away from this post of Charlie and his ridiculously good skiing...

Its well known that Denali is already significantly wider then almost every ski on the market for a target skier.  Most big guys like our skis just because the deep water starts are easier.  

We are diligently working on the necessary magic to allow a 220lber ski like Charlie and Nate!  I will say, the hardest part is once you get a big 200+lb human traveling cross course faster, is having the means to slow them down into the ball without sinking or having excessive drag!  Like @S1Pitts mentioned, as fast and efficient as a big ski can be, its useless if it cant slow back down fast enough to sustain proper timing with the boat.

For this new design, we decided to do ALL ski design and development on a XXL ski. (Bigger then anything we have built in the past).  Its helped us better optimize some key features to bring balance to a "big ski" in ALL phases of the course.  

Edited by adamhcaldwell
  • Like 3

• Baller

Spiking ZO!? When does it happen? For a great number of skier's it's at the finish of the turn. Caused by overturning, or stopping/slowing the ski just before the turn in and have the ski sink (because the ski is to short). Now look at Nate and Charlie, they keep the ski moving up to and around the ball. (no ski sink/stop. Longer ski) They don't connect with a major hit, they are patient to set the angle/stack/load and once it's achieved the work begins. The angle/load happens at a progressive rate and peaks behind the boat. Just watch the tip of the ski from stack/connect to behind the boat. (progressive load) They are in their angle/load at the best position to take on all that ZO can throw at them. The skier doesn't care because ZO can't hurt them.

When I was much younger I would try to follow crowd that you had to be on a shorter ski. Never felt comfortable on a short ski so I was pretty much on 67" or 68" skis. But now in my 70's I'm skiing at 32.3mph on a 65" and loving it. The C-85 large design is working out just great. And because I practice what I preach I'm still able to ski. @HortonProgressive Load, not max angle off the ball but behind the boat where ZO doesn't feel or hurt you.

• Like 1

Ernie Schlager