2000 Prostar, how does the wake compare to newer Prostar, 2017+

Jaypro

• Baller_

@Drago, did you mean between 1998 and 2014?  Because your range beginning in 1993 would be leaving out the 1993 and 1994 years, which were considered to be very good, and the 1995 through 1997 models, which still had serviceable wakes.   I totally agree with avoiding 1998 through 2013, inclusive.  Going with 2014 would depend on the length of the site setup, due to transmission differences in that year.

Edited by MISkier
  • Like 2

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

98 - 2000 was one of the most beautiful boats they ever built,  bigger size with very nice lines. However, it was also had some of the worst wakes in their history,  particularly at 15-28 off. In 99, they sort of fixed it and had a retrofit kit for 98s. They glued on long chine rails to chop down the wakes and spray, and rigged up a rudder with a reverse wing welded in to lift up the transom to flatten the rooster tail. It actually wasn't  bad with the revision, about like today's Nautique ot Malibu.

• Haha 1

• Baller

My ski partner had a 98 for a little while. It had the retrofit stuff on it. It was a great looking boat but getting it balanced took a pretty fair amount of weight. It somehow felt very light, driving it, so was a little touchy on steering correction. Otherwise, I’ve skied a lot of boats with worse wakes and really didn’t mind its -22 and -28 wakes. If it’s a good price, it’s not a bad boat, but there are better

• Baller

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the 2000 PS190 that was my main pull from 2000-2020. It had the LTR330 with about 1500 hours. It drove well and skied well.  Skiers in the group were from 28/15off to 34/38off.  I was a wake-picky trick skier coming from a 1983 American Skier, so the trick wake was my primary dislike.  I wasn't crazy about any trick wake since the American Skier, but it was certainly better than any SN196 I've skied behind.  The women skiing 28-30/15off preferred the 97 SN in the group for its softer wake and pull, but happily skied behind either boat.

The only real problem I had was the failure of the Faria gateway box in 2017.  I replaced the gauges with the analog conversion kit from Ron Tanis.  If you get one that still has the digital gauges I would disconnect the pitot tubes from the gateway and seal the openings to hopefully prolong its life.