Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN D3 NRG1 AND NRG2 SKI

bananaron

• Baller

You can not pry my NRG 1 out of my hands I bought a backup from the factory as a closeout and just started skiing on it last year. Amazing ski  after fin tuning and boot placements. The boot one hole forward and DFT add .013 both ski the same. 

• Like 2

• Baller

I live and ski on a summer vacation lake so I see a lot of different skiers in a season. I have skied with a few guys now that are on the R1,  tried the R2 and chose to stay on the R1. Having never skied the R1 I cannot personally compare but it seems to me there is enough different to give them each distinct feels. 

• Like 1

• Baller

I ski on the R1.  I did not like the R2 when I did a demo trial.  The extra speed did not work as well and for some reason I could never seem to find the sweet spot and it felt more unstable.  I do have a 67" R1 which I skied on for about half a season if its the direction you want to go.

• Like 1

• Baller

The R1 wasn't made for long, you don't see them in the wild as much. FW skied very well on one IIRC. It seems like the R2 was put into production pretty soon after the R1 and has had a long run. I've skied both and I think the R1 is absolutely amazing, I'll ski mine for as long as I can.

I do feel genuinely sorry for people that have to write marketing copy for skis every year. We need waterski marketing Bingo cards: "increased the sweet spot, increased rocker, narrowed the tail, put some width under the front foot, changed the flex profile, softened the tip, added taper to the tail, increased the flat spot" take your pick, mix n' match! Bingo!

• Like 2

• Baller

I'm on an R2.  I don't know how it compares to an R1.  My 2 previous skis were a C65 and 2015 Vapor.  both of which were absolute rockets and really really fun skis to ride.  I don't think the R2 nearly as fast as the other 2 skis were. but what it gives up in speed it makes up for with stability and predictability that is really confidence inspiring. It's allowed me to consistently ski right up to my PB pretty much every single set.  I have not experienced that kind of consistency on any other ski.   The R2 seems to arc a more direct path leaving the wakes than what i was used to which took me a dozen sets or so to trust that that path will still get me to width and arrive at the buoy in a good position,  I think it allows me to get a little higher on the boat but I don't know I'm still just a hack.  It's been a great platform to work on my technique.  Having said that my PB was set on the C65.  Which was one of the funnest, skis i have ever owned. When i was feeling it on that ski it was insanely good.

• Baller

@DanoKinda the same. My last 4 ski progressions have been 2015Vapor, C65, HO Omega, R2.

I flip back and forth between the Omega and the R2. R2 skis better in the rough stuff and overall I can ski the R2 regardless of how I am feeling. Very consistant on it. I think it is as fast as any of my other skis because I get farther up the side of the boat with it but it just does not feel like it is fast. Maybe it has the ability to warp time somehow.

Last fall I tossed some boots on the old C65 and was very surprised how well I skiied on it. Fun is a good discriptor for the C65.

Edited by S1Pitts
  • Like 1

• Baller

For reference- put about 10 sets on an R2 this spring and I'll be going back to my R1. Even with identical fin settings to the R1, the R2 is a step backward. In particular out of off-side 135 I'm finding myself in a very unsafe position that I have not felt in years, very consistently. In the spirit of "do no harm" the R2 will be for sale.