Ski Vest For Rib Protection

• Baller

I believe there are many prior BOS threads on this topic already if you search if you search. Good information. 

Most CGA's will by default of course have more padding, but have never seen any hard stat's on CGA vs non. If you can find one you like that would be an easy solution. Many have pointed to O'neil Reactor  as a great choice in CGA https://www.divein.com/boating/oneill-mens-reactor-uscg-life-vest/

As you know there are so many comp options today also that have more padding it's really hard to recommend which way to go. Lile so many other things - it's a personal choice.         

• Baller

@Thomasasher has your vest padding changed since the EVO?  I just did a rib last weekend (in an Eagle) but as I looked at my EVO it seems like both vests have a pretty significant padding gap along the sides where my break happened.  Definitely willing to try a new vest when I get back on water in a few weeks.  Has the design changed on new one?

• Baller

I don't think any vest is going to make a difference with that kind of blunt force. I had a totally broken rib, where the xray looked like a cartoon drawing of a broken bone, totally separated and offset break, in a USCG vest.

• Like 1

• Baller

Cracked a rib, then reaggravated it later with another fall. I cut open the vest on the inside, hollowed out the foam around the sore rib area, then refilled the hollow with bubble wrap and recovered the mod with some fabric and Goo adhesive. I figured the rigidity of the foam wasn’t doing me any favors and thought an air bag concept might work better. Seems to work out alright. Just sayin’.

• Baller

Just got my new Stokes vest and very happy with the additional rib padding.  Compared next to my previous vest, it has substantially thicker padding.  I’m going back a little early (30 days) based on basically no pain, but I layered a neoprene vest under the jacket for a little more protection and support.  I also sized down to a medium 5’11”/175# and it’s snug and secure.  It’ll be interesting if I find it constricting once I go beyond just running easy 32’s, but I’m optimistic that this will be my new setup long term . @Thomasasher was extremely helpful in steering me to the right size/ model.

• Baller

I broke a rib in two places last October wearing an Eagle vest. I got that vest for the extra padding cuz I needed more flotation. As Jhuges said, the vest may not make much difference. It's that sudden stop, like hitting a wall, goin' 50 mph in a wake crossing to zero at impact. 

Looks like the Stokes has more padding. @Bdecker which vest did you have before, and does the Stokes extra padding get in the way of your arms tuckin' in tight to your body? That's what I've always looked for, a vest that has super flotation yet doesn't chafe the inside of my arms, and so far my O'Neil and Eagle still chafe me. 

• Baller

@FishFreq I was wearing an eagle when I got hurt, but I wouldn’t blame the vest, just a lousy fall (handle pop desperately trying to make a late 6…). My move to the stokes is simply in hopes of not re-injuring it.   I also dinged them over the winter in Costa Rica as well (thankfully near the end of my trip).   Neither vest has any meaningful padding along the side seam, but the stokes pads are 30% thicker I think.  

i have had one other stokes (evo) which was/is a great vest but jumped on an Eagle order when it started to look worn.   Definitely more float, but I can’t speak to chafing yet.  Just a couple 28’s and 32’s - will get more aggressive next week.  I still have the EVO as well, but after dropping a bunch of weight,  I wanted to size down to a medium.

• Like 1