Connelly, HO, Radar….

Justinspaff

• Baller

So I am in the process of buying a new Slalom Ski. I am an amateur at best but love to ski. I run the course about 60% of the time and open water ski 40% of the time. I currently am riding a 2017 Connelly V, I do like the ski but I am interested in something new. I have considered upgrade info to a carbon v, the carbon omega max, and possibly a radar senate. I demoed a carbon Omni and liked how fast it was, but I did not like the back tail. It was too high in the water. I wasn’t able to dig around the bouy. That’s why I thought the carbon omega max would be a better choice. I work for a local boat shop they carry ho and Connelly if I want. The sales guys say Connelly hasn’t changed things in years with the build and shape of the ski. Maybe someone could give me a bit of advice on what ski to look into. Thanks! 

• Like 1

• Baller

Been riding Connelly for years. There have indeed been changes . Watch the 2019 Joel Howley video introducing the GTR.  Some big changes with that ski. The DV8 with the ability to change tails is also very unique. Both of these are very deep riding skis that have tremendous grip you can feel. I’d really suggest you ride one as part of making an informed decision. These skis do like higher speeds and perform best at 34 & 36 but can also run 32. I wouldn’t recommend them below 32 though. As you’re riding Connelly now you should give their high end skis a ride. 

• Like 2

• Baller_

Connelly skis typically ride deeper in the water than other skis, in part because they have a rounded tail that creates less tail lift as opposed to a ski with a square are “squarer” tail. This probably is what you feel and like with the V. The Connelly DV8 has interchangeable tails, round, square and in between, giving you the option to determine which works best for your style of skiing. 

Lpskier

• Baller
On 6/28/2023 at 4:32 AM, blakeyates said:

@Justinspaff, HO has many choices.  I was going to say the Syndicate or Carbon Omni but based on your demo, it sounds like you're looking for something different than the Omni.  I believe you are on the right track with the Omega Max.

Yeah I skied the omega max over the weekend and it felt very similar to my Connelly. It did feel faster. But I didn’t notice much more aggression. What would you guys suggest if I want more aggression? 

@lpskier@ETskier@escmanaze

• Baller
58 minutes ago, BraceMaker said:

@Justinspaff what to you is aggression?  Like the ski suddenly doing a hockey stop turn, stalling hard, and then you having to do a tug of war with the boat or?

To me when I rode the senate it felt like if I leaned even a little left or right the ski wanted to turn and go that way. With the Connelly and HO I felt I would lean but I didn’t feel the ski wanting to turn? I think that’s what I would say is aggressive but I could be completely wrong.