Raw Water Pump leak

Drew_Wright_OBXtoFl

• Baller

Yes it’s seems like a warranty coverage but it seems crazy to have failed at less than 200 hours and was wondering if there is just a seal or does the entire assembly have to be replaced. I would rather be up and running if it’s a simple seal vs wait for 2 weeks for an appointment. Have other seen this happen? 

• Supporting Member

I had an older Master Craft (1991) with the same issue. The dealer at the time said it had to be pressed in, so I had them do it. Hinsight I would try it myself or replace the whole thing. It sat at the dealer for several weeks. I'd suggest contacting the dealer and ask them to send you a new one. This is what I saw on Master Craft Parts.com.Raw Water Pump Assembly. Part #MV8V-1072. For All Open Cooled Engines Except 7.4L. Ilmore seems very proprietary, but if there's a number you might find a kit, or at least cheaper. Good luck.

• Baller

Can you actually see it dripping out of the pump? Or do you just see the water on the main shaft pulley? I ask because water would normally leak from here. There is no water in the part right up against the triangle piece. That's just the 2nd bearing. But I guess it's possible that it's spraying a little. But if you can't see it actually coming out of the pump, it may be a leak up higher dripping down onto the main pulley. 

image.png

Edited by jpwhit

• Baller

Action Watersports in Orlando area jumped right on it and got me done in a few hours. Fully covered warranty. While I waited I swapped ski ideas with Aaron Larkin and was in and out in less than 3 hours. Had my ski with me to ski at lake crew but enjoyed talking to Aaron and taking a few works calls and was skiing that evening. 

• Like 2

• Baller

If that's a standard Johnson pump, they're super easy to rebuild.  Just drift out the shaft with the bearings on it, slip on a new oil seal (what the O ring is called), and drift it back together.  You don't need a press.

I ordered a spare pump when mine started leaking a few years ago, then rebuilt the other one.  Easy peasy.

• Like 1