Justinspaff

• Baller

I am looking for some opinions on boats. This is going to be a lot so here we go. I need the boat to hold a decent amount of people 4-6. I mainly ski but would like to wakeboard and possibly surf for others. That would be if there is enough weight and people. I have ridden behind a 97’ sport nautique and the ski wake was good but had some rooster tail. The steering also I have heard is tight on those. I liked the engine because it was fuel injected. I love @escmanaze 97’ ski nautique, the wake is small and nice. I would possibly need it to be slightly bigger for more people sadly. I also have considered a 97’ ski centurion elite bowrider or elite air warrior (don’t know the difference) I was also considering a MC Prostar or a sport star (don’t know the difference). A 97’ Malibu sunsetter, 98’ sunsetter lx (don’t know the difference) and then last a 96’ tige comp ski fslm, or a 99’ tige 2200I. I know that’s a lot of boats but, those are my options I have seen under $20,000. I would prefer a dd for the wake, and ease of maintenance. This would be my first boat so let me know your opinions. Thanks for the read. 

• Baller

I'm happy with my 94 Sport Nautique for now, but am definitely looking to upgrade at some point primarily as a skier. But it's been a fantastic boat for a young family that in general is pretty tough on equipment, no matter how hard I try 😅

At the time it was also one of the only boats I could find that wasn't over 35k (early 2020). Still, I've put 2-4k/yr into it undoing some bullshit that POs have done - fiberglass work, new teak platform, fixing small broken stuff, upholstery work, stereo, updated PP, steering cable etc. It'll be extremely well gone through by the time I'm ready to move on. It'll probably be the best the boat has been since new right before I sell, lol.

The wake isn't the greatest for slalom, but it's passable. The true beauty of the boat is its versatility. Tubing (gasp!), wakeboarding (also gasp!), dogs, general screwing around... It does it all quite well and I don't have to worry about keeping a $100k boat pristine, yet I still keep spending money trying to get it there lol. Maybe when my youngest is 11 instead of 8 that will be an easier feat.

If I was to do it again, primarily as a skier, I'd find a swapped ski Nautique with Zero Off and sacrifice a bit of versatility as my interim solution until I committed to a new ProStar etc. 

• Baller_

My recommendation of a late 90s crossover would be the 1999 MasterCraft Prostar 205.  The 22 off bump will be noticeable, but all of the other line lengths should be quite reasonable for slalom.  This is boat that became the X-Star, one of the first wakeboard boats, so adding weight should make it a decent option for wakeboard/surf.  The 1995 Prostar 205 is also a good option and will have a better slalom wake than the later years.  However, you will get spray when skiing shortline in the early models, especially skiing into the wind.  I prefer the later 205 for the Indmar engine they used in the later years.  I believe the horsepower was increased from 285 to 310 in those later years.

I owned a 2000 Prostar 205 - essentially the same boat.  I have video of some runs through the slalom course at 22 off, if needed.

By the way, the difference between a late 90s Prostar 190 and a Sportstar is basically trim level.  Both will have the same hull and same engine and both will have very good slalom wakes - although a bit firm.   The Sportstar is a great value, if you can find one, but the 190 will be closed bow.  You will probably want open bow for your planned use.  They also had a 195 model that had a small open bow built on the 190 hull.  That is another possible option, depending on how much room you really want/need.  The 205 will have a larger open bow.

If you get into the early 2000s for your range, most here will recommend the Malibu Sunsetter LXi.  The LXi is important and the specific years and what to look for are critical to get the one with the preferred slalom wake.

Here is some excellent reading on the history of the late 90s Prostar 190 (you will see they continued to sell this hull for many years in several forms):

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/forum/general-mastercraft-topics/general-discussion/14829-1995-97-prostar-190-19-skier-sportstar-19-prostar-195-x-5-a-history?t=14622

Here is an overall general history of the Prostar:

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/forum/general-mastercraft-topics/general-discussion/28871-mastercraft-skier-prostar-prostar-190-a-history-1968-2009

Here is a similar history on the Prostar 205:

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/forum/general-mastercraft-topics/general-discussion/15398-1996-2000-prostar-205-205v-maristar205-x-star-x-2-x-1-a-history?t=15198

Edited by MISkier
  • Like 1

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Agree.  MC Absolutely NAILED the 205 in terms of it having a deeper bow and top deck and railing compared to so many other open bow boats from a lot of years they feel far more like a 19' I/O than so many of the other ones. 

• Like 1

• Baller

I think the X-9 is newer than you are looking at but I would avoid. I owned one for years and took a beating - the wakes are large and sharp. Not bad for wakeboarding and with the deeper V handles rough water nicely. But for slalom nada. 

• Baller_

@Wiltok, the X9 was based on the 209, which is a terrible slalom boat.  And, on a related note, the X7 was based on the 197, which I believe began in 2001.  The 197 (and, hence, the X7) was not a good Slalom boat at 22 off.  I did not like it.  Some will say it was a great Trick boat, which is probably why it was not good for Slalom.  I agree that all of these are less desirable.

• Baller
3 hours ago, MISkier said:

@Wiltok, the X9 was based on the 209, which is a terrible slalom boat.  And, on a related note, the X7 was based on the 197, which I believe began in 2001.  The 197 (and, hence, the X7) was not a good Slalom boat at 22 off.  I did not like it.  Some will say it was a great Trick boat, which is probably why it was not good for Slalom.  I agree that all of these are less desirable.

Agree with you. I have a friend that has a 2004 197 and I also don't like the wake at 22 off. Reminds me of the X9 wake, only a bit smaller. 

• Baller

Another good option is the late 90’s Malibu Sunsetter LX /LXi.  Most are EFI, open bow, plenty of room for passengers and gear.  Good slalom wakes (buddy has one and we course ski with it) and with a wedge can be  a decent wakeboard boat.

• Like 1

• Baller_

@Bufootinis correct.  The 1999-2004 Sunsetter LXi is the range of Malibu open bow that I was referring to.  Also, good point about the Wedge option for wakeboard and surf.  These boats ski well.

The Sunsetter LXi is basically sitting on the 1999 Malibu Response hull, but has a cantilever stern to get the extra length and room to make it a larger open bow than its Malibu Response LX cousin.  I currently have a 2009 Response LX (with a Wedge), which is from that same hull lineage.

Here is a picture showing the cantilever hull circled in red, so you know it is on the smaller Response hull:

1999SunsetterLXi-Cantilever.jpg

Here is one for sale on OnlyInboards:

https://www.onlyinboards.com/1999-Malibu-Sunsetter-LXI-for-sale-Phoenix-Arizona-146080.aspx

Edited by MISkier
  • Like 1

• Baller
40 minutes ago, MISkier said:

@Bufootinis correct.  The 1999-2004 Sunsetter LXi is the range of Malibu open bow that I was referring to.  Also, good point about the Wedge option for wakeboard and surf.  These boats ski well.

The Sunsetter LXi is basically sitting on the 1999 Malibu Response hull, but has a cantilever stern to get the extra length and room to make it a larger open bow than its Malibu Response LX cousin.  I currently have a 2009 Response LX (with a Wedge), which is from that same hull lineage.

Here is a picture showing the cantilever hull circled in red, so you know you it is on the smaller Response hull:

1999SunsetterLXi-Cantilever.jpg

Here is one for sale on OnlyInboards:

https://www.onlyinboards.com/1999-Malibu-Sunsetter-LXI-for-sale-Phoenix-Arizona-146080.aspx

For as often as this question comes up on this forum, and as often as this boat is the answer, I feel like there should be a sticky link to OnlyInboards and SIA Sunsetter LXi search URLs... :)

@Justinspaff if you're interested in this particular Phoenix boat, I could go take a look at it for you.  It's about 30 mins from me.

Edited by UWSkier
  • Like 1

• Baller

The Sunsetter LXi (NOT LX) is the boat you are looking for. My buddy had one. Lots of room, dry ride, great slalom wake. And with the wedge, a wake shaper and 1,000 lbs ballast bag between the rear seats and engine box can surf OK with it.

• Baller_

Mostly overlooked but it shouldn’t be. Hydrodyne Grand Sport Elite. Great wakes, deep walk through open bow and sidewalls throughout with a  bullet proof fuel injected PCM GT-40. All glass no wood.

A55026B4-3686-43D4-9D50-477F46F8C23E.jpeg886AFDF2-933D-42F5-8D1B-6CAA705875F7.jpegA5AD3313-5FBF-4B5C-B51A-139E54E91F2E.jpeg

• Like 1

• Baller
10 minutes ago, Wish said:

Mostly overlooked but it shouldn’t be. Hydrodyne Grand Sport Elite. Great wakes, deep walk through open bow and sidewalls throughout with a  bullet proof fuel injected PCM GT-40. All glass no wood.

A55026B4-3686-43D4-9D50-477F46F8C23E.jpeg886AFDF2-933D-42F5-8D1B-6CAA705875F7.jpegA5AD3313-5FBF-4B5C-B51A-139E54E91F2E.jpeg

I run a Grand Sport and agree it's a great boat for it's age, and really versatile across a bunch of sports.  The GT-40 would have only been in the 95/96 model years though.  The 94's had the PCM TBI/Protec engine (as did some early 95's), which I'd probably avoid unless it's been swapped back to a carb/dizzy already.  .

I'm 99% certain they're not all glass though (stringers/floor are still wood), but they do have an aluminum box frame reinforcement where the engine mounts, and they're generally built like a tank.

• Baller

I’m pretty happy with my 2000 Air Nautique. I can’t compare it to the above mentioned boats, but the slalom wake is reasonable (if you watch total weight and weight distribution) and you can surf okay with it, if desired. I got mine for $15k, but that was before the boat shortage. 

• Baller

@oregon85 my nephew really struggles with his other than as a family boat.  He got it cheap like you, and it's in great shape but he's a longer line slower speed buoy skier and says it's pretty rough.  I've been telling him light gas, get the back seat out when using it for skiing, weight the bow--will see what happens.

• Like 1