Boat Issue: 2014 Mastercraft Prostar

TexasWaterSki

• Baller

Currently, we are having some troubles with our team boat. The boat is a 2014 Mastercraft Prostar. The issue arises when we put the boat in gear and begin to accelerate. The boat does not accelerate as quickly as it did before. It is a slow acceleration that almost feels governed. Also, the RPMs will not exceed 3300. It struggles/fails to get up to speed before the course when skiing at 34/36. We just changed the oil on the boat. There are no active faults or errors shown. After some thought, we have concluded that it may be the fuel filter. If anyone has any ideas, please let us know. Thank you.

• Baller

most marine engines I've worked with (injection type) have a rpm limit vs temperature, and it's normally around 3k rpm you may find the CTS is failing or miss reading (normally the temp gauge has a different sender & I'm not sure if the MC analogue gauge has it's separate sender or is linked to the ECU through). but not enough that it throws an error code as it's just reading low temperature.

But also, it could be in need of a good service, air filter clean/replacement, new plugs, leads etc, but most issues I've solved have been coolant temp sender related when it comes to an RPM limit like that. 

• Baller
1 hour ago, wski1831 said:

Somewhat off topic, but I have a 17 Mastercraft. Is the fuel filter in the tank? Is it easy to replace?

thanks 

There is a screen on the bottom of the in-tank fuel pump. I have not opened mine up yet, but it shouldn’t be hard.  I think you can either clean or replace the screen if needed.  

• Baller
4 hours ago, Mastercrafter said:

There is a screen on the bottom of the in-tank fuel pump. I have not opened mine up yet, but it shouldn’t be hard.  I think you can either clean or replace the screen if needed.  

Our dealer is suggesting to replace the in tank filter every year.  this is the only screen between the tank and the engine.  Surprisingly Ilmor doesnt put a water separating filter in line.

• Baller

The pressure regulator also includes a filter. The screen should catch most before it gets to the pressure regulator....hopefully. If you have the earlier Millennium Industries fuel pump there is NO replacement for that pressure regulator, so if the filter portion is clogged or it doesn't hold pressure anymore, you have to purchase a whole new pump module ($800-$1000 not including installation.) There is now a pressure regulator replacement kit for the newer TI Automotive pump modules. 

Hey guys, just purchased a 2014 Prostar. I’m noticing a slight metallic humming noise when I put the boat into idle. Once I accelerate it goes away. I pulled the prop off to make sure it was seated and tight on the shaft. There is a small (I mean tiny) amount of play in the shaft strut. I also spun the engine end of the shaft and it was quite noisy when moving it back and forth. I’ve read a lot about the 2014s having a rough transmission. Just wanting to know if any of this is concerning enough to not run the boat.