Is there an Ultraviolet blocker for Gel Coat ?

swbca

• Baller_

Our 2004 ProStar Gel Coat is perfect except where the tail end is exposed to the southern exposure while in our boat lift.

This is what it looks like except for the tail end

before.JPG

The back 4 feet of the boat from southern Exposure while in the lift

after.jpg

I am going to buff this out this weekbut would like a way to preserve if there
is any product that would help 

Edited by swbca

• Baller

Oxidation remover, a lot of sweat, and once finished cutting/polishing, a good wax. I had pretty bad oxidation last year and spent probably 20 hours on the visible hull cutting with oxidation remover and a rotary buffer. I don't think it had been done in several years by the previous owner. I had a fiberglass shop tell me it was basically at the point of needing to be redone, and they were surprised how great it looked afterwards (had to take it back after an initial fix after I found more problems). 

I just did both sides of the boat again with oxidation remover and I did the whole boat in about 6 hours yesterday. My work last year and the wax made a huge difference, and hopefully I should have even less to do next spring. 3M makes great wax, but just do some googling while you're at the store to see whatever they have will be best 

• Baller

Exact same situation with the boat I owned for 20 years. Front looked great - back was faded. I had it buffed out professional several times - until they buffed through the gel (white 'flecks' were showing through the blue). That was it - I couldn't get if buffed out anymore, wish i had gone with a waterline cover sooner, even after the first treatment would have helped. 

• Baller_

We don't use the cover in the summer because the boat is pulled up tight in the boat lift.

But it sounds like a good idea to make a cover for the back of the boat.  That would also protect the uphostered rear deck which was completely replaced 2 years ago.

• Like 1

• Baller

I bet that you could get a piece of Sunbrella made that was more like a back 1/3 cover. I'm imagining a pocket that covers a the swim platform and slips over the edge with a flat piece that runs up over the back.  It could have a strap or a bungee with a loop that went on to the ski pole . 

It would be much lighter and quicker than a full cover.

• Like 1

• Baller

The right ceramic coatings have excellent UV protection.  So does 303 but you need to reapply it a lot.  A physical cover/shade is the best best.  I would not assume wax has any uv protection unless you get a synthetic that specifically says its got UV protection.  Babes Boat Bright claims UV protection but I am not sure how much.  

Edited by jjackkrash

• Baller

A have followed a boat detailer on YouTube whom gives some great videos on terribly oxidized hulls. He recommends 3m heavy cut then 3m perfect it exac and then fireglaze pluse as a sealant. Using 303 regularly may also be helpful. His YouTube channel is "Local boydidgood".Good luck.

• Like 2

• Baller

There is no substitute for covering the boat. Doesn't matter what product you buff on, the water will wash it away over time then with constant sun exposure when it's on the lift this will be the result. Usually happens across the back of the boat. A cover is the cheapest and easiest way to avoid these problems.

• Baller

I have curtains with snaps and a separate cover piece for the platform, everything is covered. My boat sits on a lift with no canopy, the wind would blow the canopy off. No sun or bird $hit on the boat!

• Like 1

• Baller
10 hours ago, Wiltok said:

I have read (not validated) that the reflection off the water is worse than the sun directly beating down on the gel. Kind of makes sense but a cover is the only way to go. 

@Wiltoknot sure it's worse but I would say it's kind of double. You're getting direct sunlight plus the sun reflected off the water.

• Baller_

There are several newer lifts on our lake with curtains all the way around that look like a heavy mosquito netting.  I don't know what they do to help the boat.  Sun, Rain, Pollen ?

Edited by swbca

• Baller_

We won’t be able to put a full boat cover on in the summer.  We take the boat out at a moments notice several times a day.   We bought the boat 3 years ago and the original owner had the same lift/canopy arrangement that we have. He kept the back cleaned up with annual maintenance. 

I think adding a rear cover that can be removed in a few seconds is the best solution here.

Edited by swbca
  • Like 1

• Baller

Try touchlessboatcover.com several friends have them, they aren’t cheap but go up and down in less than 2 minutes. Ballpark price around $8k I believe. I don’t have one but if I buy a new boat I’ll get one.  

• Baller

Touchlessboat covers are very tough. Mine is 20 years old and everything is original. I like it so much in Fl I put one on the Outer Banks if NC for an X46. The one in Fl is for a Prostar. I was skeptical it could handle OBX weather especially with it being so large but its been amazing. Its easily seen 80 MPH gust and it does just fine. I did add clips all the way around 4 on each side. Its needs to be down in the wind or the crevices retain water. 

• Baller_

Re $8,000 Touchless boat cover.  Is there a way to hide it from the wife ?

Maybe so.  Years ago I replaced our Grey Correct Craft with a Red Master Craft.  (Look left . . see the round profile photo under "SWBCA")   Without telling her about the new boat, she climbed into it while it was in our covered boat lift.  We drove over to a party at a neighbors house in the new boat.  When it was time to leave she was standing at the end of the neighbors dock and asked "Where's our boat" ?  With all the laughter, she never got around to asking "where did you get the money"

Edited by swbca

• Baller
12 hours ago, swbca said:

We won’t be able to put a full boat cover on in the summer.  We take the boat out at a moments notice several times a day.   We bought the boat 3 years ago and the original owner had the same lift/canopy arrangement that we have. He kept the back cleaned up with annual maintenance. 

I think adding a rear cover that can be removed in a few seconds is the best solution here.

It's fine to get it compounded up and then maintain once every couple weeks with 303 or a spray wax to keep it easy.  However, there is nothing impractical about using one of Skip's waterline covers even if you're in and out frequently.  You can literally put it on in 1 minute.  

• Baller

The Tumac waterline covers are great. I use one on my 196.

In this thread about canopies, @thager recommended using tennis court privacy netting as an affordable solution for canopy sides, and this will reduce the UV reaching your uncovered boat. I plan to explore that option for my lift.

Edited by vtjc
  • Like 2

• Baller

Someone posted this pic on FB in response to my question on a transom cover (not my boat - hope they don't mind!). This for me is the way to go, it's an MC item so I am sure it's PRICEY. Going to try and get a quote today. 

Transomcover.jpeg

• Like 1

• Baller

@6balls I live on an 18,000 acre mountain reservoir and we get frequent high winds, particularly at certain times. One of my friends has 2 boats on adjacent docks both with touchless boat covers, these are floating docks with mooring poles. His docks are also in 30+ feet of water at full pool (which is most of the time). Twice now his mooring poles (long aluminum heavy duty) have sheared off due to heavy winds. For this reason when the winds are high he raises the covers to keep the poles from breaking. After he paid $120k for a new Nautique in 2019 he went first class as he wanted the best solution.  His other boat is a Chris Craft twin engine I/O retro cruiser.  He reports no problems with the covers at all. Easy up/down in less than 2 minutes, also has HydroHoist boat lifts as do I.

• Like 1

• Baller_
3 hours ago, Wiltok said:

Someone posted this pic on FB in response to my question on a transom cover (not my boat - hope they don't mind!). This for me is the way to go, it's an MC item so I am sure it's PRICEY. Going to try and get a quote today. 

Thanks for the photo . . . That product would protect the wood platform and the transom, but it doesn't protect the rear 4 feet of the boat sides.

with our boat wound up tight to the top of the lift the sun still comes in the through the rear opeing of the canopy as the sun goes from east to west during the day.  I need the rear cover to cover the sides of the boat for the last 4 feet.

This photo shows how the canopy protects the sides of the boat except for the last few feet because of the sun coming in from the East and West through the full rear opening in canopy. 

4feet.png

Edited by swbca

• Baller

Our SN196 suffers from the same issue.  Sun beats on the back and oxidizes/fades the blue gelcoat.  Had it buffed and graphene coated last year and it looks like the day we got it back after a full summer and winter storage.  A regular wax job never lasted a full year.  

• Baller

So I called the MC dealer - they told me the stock 2022 Prostar cover does in fact cover the transom (but not the platform). Boat is getting delivered in 2 weeks - can someone confirm? 

• Baller
1 hour ago, swbca said:

Thanks for the photo . . . That product would protect the wood platform and the transom, but it doesn't protect the rear 4 feet of the boat sides.

with our boat wound up tight to the top of the lift the sun still comes in the through the rear opeing of the canopy as the sun goes from east to west during the day.  I need the rear cover to cover the sides of the boat for the last 4 feet.

This photo shows how the canopy protects the sides of the boat except for the last few feet because of the sun coming in from the East and West through the full rear opening in canopy.  I need a rear cover to cover the sides and transom at the back of the boat.

4feet.png

My 2001 looked exactly the same. I hear you - fading on the rear portion of the boat. 

• Baller

I once bought a cheap cover from Walmart to drape over the boat while under the lift canopy.  I bought an over-sized one, so it was easy to put on and pull off and covered to the waterline.  Basically just to keep pollen, sun and mayflies off the boat when I didn't feel like putting on the factory cover.  Worked just fine.

• Baller_
15 hours ago, swc5150 said:

I once bought a cheap cover from Walmart to drape over the boat while under the lift canopy.  I bought an over-sized one, so it was easy to put on and pull off and covered to the waterline.  Basically just to keep pollen, sun and mayflies off the boat when I didn't feel like putting on the factory cover.  Worked just fine.

I have another generic cover I could use . . . Does yours stay in place in a storm ?