196 not charging

BKistler

• Baller

Need some advice. I’ve had trouble keeping a charge on the battery in a 2007 196. After six or seven sets one day the battery would be weak then die altogether. Replaced the battery a couple of weeks ago now the same thing is happening. I always keep the switch on the full off position when the boat is not in use. 

• Baller

Buy yourself a simple load tester, EVERYONE should have one. Put it on the battery and it should have a little over 12v, start the engine and it should go up to 13+v or so, rev the engine and it should go up to 14v or so. If everything is operating properly, this is how it will go. If your alternator/charging system is not working properly then the voltage will not increase when you start the engine. If it does go up, battery is the problem. Remember to check belt tension and battery terminals for tightness and that the connections are clean. You should not be able to twist the cable end connector by hand, if you can then it's too loose.

To test the battery, check voltage, disconnect it and trickle charge it overnight. Ck. voltage with the load tester and it should be 12v or more, load test it (should be a button on the tester) for 5-6 seconds and the voltage will drop and then come back up to 12v. If it does = battery good, if it does not = battery junk!

• Like 1

• Baller

If $$$$ is a big concern maybe see if anyone local will rebuild, I've gone this way several times with marine starters, alternators and even my hoist motor, ask Google or call a couple local auto shops and ask around, just a thought.

• Baller

I upgraded the alternator on my Indmar Monsoon with one from DB Electrical a few years ago for like 60 bucks.  Much better output from the new one and still going strong.  Not sure if they have one for the Ford PCM but worth a look.  That said, their prices have climbed considerably in the last 2 years or so.  That same alternator is $110 now.

• Baller

Your alternator for that PCM 5.7 Chevy is a 100 amp high output unit, almost $300 for a new one. As skihacker mentioned, find a local rebuilder. Might not need to be rebuilt. Most common problem is a bad diode. The rebuilder should be able to fix it for 50 or 60 bucks. I had the exact problem on my 2006 196. 

• Baller

Does it have a serpentine belt or the V belt?  I missed the year.  GM makes it easier.

Is it this equivalent?  https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/alternator-for-7si-marine-applications-ir-if-12-volt-100-amp.html

As I mentioned, I have a 70A rated alternator for my Indmar that actually puts out 95A with the V pulley.  I've been happy with their stuff.

• Baller
On 5/8/2023 at 8:42 PM, ETskier said:

Your alternator for that PCM 5.7 Chevy is a 100 amp high output unit, almost $300 for a new one. As skihacker mentioned, find a local rebuilder. Might not need to be rebuilt. Most common problem is a bad diode. The rebuilder should be able to fix it for 50 or 60 bucks. I had the exact problem on my 2006 196. 

I support rebuilding but ask your shop clearly about it being marine and make no assumptions and double/triple check that they're not just going to rebuild it as an auto alternator and make sure they're not just taking yours as a core and giving you an already completed rebuild.  

• Like 1