Six months Radar buoys

LeonL

• Baller

Here are 2 Radar buoys.  One unused and one in the water for 6 months.  Color retention not bad, but the spot on top is sticky sort of melted.  I have 9 others that are the same.  Not knocking  Radar.  There were no warranties, expressed or implied.  Just info for BOS.

20230513_145448.jpg

Edited by LeonL
Fat fingers

• Baller

I had this happened with all brands i ever bought. Barts,Overton,Polyform,from Ed,from skier to skier...Whatever branding is on them ,some always turn sticky and craking on top,sometimes the entire set will go bad.

Best ones i had were from Overtons about ...20 years ago!

We just put a new set every season and keep the best ones as spares.

I've never tried Wally.

• Baller

Not speaking with any actual knowledge of their sourcing, but I’d be AMAZED if it’s not the same  factory that makes the buoys for non brand, KD, Barts, and probably some I’ve never found. 
I’m sure they’d make a stamper with your name on it too.
May not be a bad idea. Mine’s gonna be King Balls

Quality is what it is. I think Overtons don’t do that but aren’t as colorfast. 

• Baller

And without question, Wally’s are the best, but if you’re setting up a public course. The cost/benefit is not in line. Wally’s are expensive but you absolutely get what you are paying for with them

if it wouldn't kill someone (or would only kill tubers and jet skiers) I’d just hang bleach bottles on the public course. I use old, repainted, whatever buoys I have laying around for the public course and the cost still may not be worth it

Edited by aupatking

• Baller

I use to have similar experiences with course balls for years , and all types. UV rays are killer.  Gummy top surface was a magnet for bugs. Have had great luck past 5-6 years spray painting the top half with 2 coats . Even when new.  Really protects the surface from breaking down.  Course is in May - Oct and stickiness of the plastic is next to nothing when removed in Oct.   

Quick hang and spray in spring and right back out there.  Think I am 4th year on many of them this way 

• Like 3

• Baller

As far as the orange color specifically lets acknowledge that the Radar orange last a hell of a lot longer than Polyform, which turn white in about a month (it seems). So the Radar cost less and are brighter longer, for a non-Wally that is a win.

• Baller

Ordered the new Radar buoys last year and was impressed they held up well on our public water course.  Before that had been buying "Extreme Max" brand off of Amazon and liked them as well or better than polyforms.   Overtons still sells their buoys and they currently are on sale for $8 which is a good deal,  hold up well and have a stronger eyelet they.  I am bummed I missed their clearance of the yellow boat-guide 'bullet buoys' at $10 each, they still have green and red in their outlet section.

We are using radar/overton yellow buoys for guides, radar greens for the mini course, @RichardDoane s "screaming deal" orange for gates and a set of sofe wally reds for turn balls.

• Baller

This can be caused by over-inflating as it thins out the wall of the material thus UV can break them down quicker.

We have a timber board with some prongs on it we use as a jig where we just drop the buoy into it and inflate. I just can't remember the size we allow for but it works well and also allows for the heat expansion once the buoys get the sun on them.

• Baller

This begs the question...why red or orange turn buoys?  I know that's  what the rule stipulate, but to my old eyes yellow seems to stand out better even though I've never used them as turn buoys.  Gonna put a couple on to try.  We no longer host tourneys so it's my choice.

Edited by LeonL

• Baller

I bought 50 red Radar buoys. Nothing special. 3 didn’t hold air from the start and they seem to fade about the same or a little faster then Polyform. Bought mine from Performance Ski And Surf so I could support my local dealer. 
For boat lane (yellow) it is Polyform bullets all the way. 

• Baller_
3 hours ago, skierjp said:

I bought 50 red Radar buoys. Nothing special. 3 didn’t hold air from the start and they seem to fade about the same or a little faster then Polyform. Bought mine from Performance Ski And Surf so I could support my local dealer. 
For boat lane (yellow) it is Polyform bullets all the way. 

Did you bring those 3 that didn't hold air back in? I'm sure I can get you squared away if you want to shoot me an email, or give me a call.

• Like 2

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller

Just another check-in here- we put all Radar buoys in back in April on one of our courses, so about 4 months now. Color holding really really well, again FAR better than the polyforms did, particularly the orange color on the turn balls. No comparison.

So, as far as "good normal buoys, as long as you're not comparing to Wally Buoys" the Radars are very good and a great value. I'm impressed. Solid product.

• Baller
1 hour ago, wawaskr said:

Had Green Radars for 55s - lasted approx 1 year.  Turn almost white and tops get gummy and start to lose air.  Similar to most other bouys.

Were they neon green? Ours were,just inflating them and they were already whitish. 10 weeks later and they look really faded.

Radar are no better or worst then others.Just a different stamping on them.

Edited by Andre