Update on Hiring to inspect a Malibu

JL5

• Baller

Hello BOS.  I'm a brand new member and a bit of a rookie, but I'm looking for information or a recommendation on someone who could inspect a used Malibu in the Lake Placid FL (2 hours south of Orlando).  I live in NH and am interested in the boat and am trying to avoid having to fly down myself, so obviously I'm looking to hire someone to go through it, check compression etc. in hopes of buying the boat and having it transported up north.  Any suggestions and or recommendations on an individual would be greatly appreciated.  TIA.

• Baller

Lake Placid Marine is a Malibu dealer.  1) I'd guess they know the owner and can vouch for him if they're inclined or 2) seller can bring there.  Not the time of year for their shop to get sidetracked with an inspection I wouldn't think, but could no doubt be done.  

Listing of boat?  Tons of feedback available from people here based on the year, model, condition, etc.  If it's an "older" monsoon 350  I wouldn't even bother with a compression check.  If the rest of the boat looks good the engine was taken care of too.   If it's running now, it'll continue to run for you most likely.  Most catastrophic engine failures are due to an acute failure (impeller/overheat/winterization etc).  I've bought several Malibus sight unseen.  Never worried about the mechanicals and they've all run great.  

• Baller

Mark , that would be great. PM sent. 

buechsr 

16 hours ago, buechsr said:

Lake Placid Marine is a Malibu dealer.  1) I'd guess they know the owner and can vouch for him if they're inclined or 2) seller can bring there.  Not the time of year for their shop to get sidetracked with an inspection I wouldn't think, but could no doubt be done.  

Listing of boat?  Tons of feedback available from people here based on the year, model, condition, etc.  If it's an "older" monsoon 350  I wouldn't even bother with a compression check.  If the rest of the boat looks good the engine was taken care of too.   If it's running now, it'll continue to run for you most likely.  Most catastrophic engine failures are due to an acute failure (impeller/overheat/winterization etc).  I've bought several Malibus sight unseen.  Never worried about the mechanicals and they've all run great.  

That is where it is on consignment. It's an early 2000's with the monsoon. 

• Baller

@JL5 Like previously mentioned get a dealer to inspect the boat.I have down this many times and have found they will do it for you for a fee.They can hook up the laptop and ck for things.Also get a baller who lives close to give the boat a test drive and the once over video.Ballers on this site are fantastic when it comes to boats.Get it checked out to be sure it functions properly.......Buy the baller a gift certificate to performance ski

• Like 3

• Baller
3 hours ago, JL5 said:

Mark , that would be great. PM sent. 

buechsr 

That is where it is on consignment. It's an early 2000's with the monsoon. 

Then have them do it!  Post the link and you'll get plenty of feedback on it here.

is it the 06 response lxi or the sunsetter lxi?

Edited by buechsr

• Baller

I don't think you have anything to worry about mechanically.  Notably, there is no rust residue seeping from the gasket between the risers and exhaust manifolds.  Had that been present, the gasket is compromised and while not a big deal necessarily in and of itself, the fact that there is no residue means it was either addressed promptly, or the integrity of the exhaust/water jackets are in tact. 

The gauge cracking is typical of that era, eventually.  Those gauges are at times hard to come by and spendy, but perfect pass would fix one of them.  The dash shows minor sunburn.

I note seperation of the vinyl at the seams in the rear.  Not terrible yet, but should be on your radar.  Notably, the trunk vinyl has been replaced.  For a 22 year old Florida boat, not uncommon, but it was not likely a garaged boat.

I am somewhat concerned by the port carpet near the hull.  That "pull" up could be indicative of it "sinking" on the trailer/lift.  In other words, bilge filled with water with the plug in.  Slight waterline at bottom of observer seat "could" confirm the same.  Alternator is also particularly pitted, suggestive of storage with the clamshell closed, or that it "sunk" on the trailer.  Although, there is evidence of usage of a "BIMP ring" (those in central florida will know the reference), which is good.

That said, that's a smoking price for what is a fantastic boat.  At absolute worst, a new 350 costs less than $5,000 last time I needed one.  Still a great price.

• Baller

I own a Sunsetter lxi - skis fantastic.   I think there price is a tad high and I know of another deal in Arkansas if  you're interested PM me.  

I also had cracking gauges on my 2003 and fixed it myself with new lenses if you are interested in that info (I'm not going to say it was super easy, but doable)

• Baller

ski dad, you think a sslxi in what appears to be 7-8/10 with less than 800 hours and a tower a tad "high" at 21,500?  Second cheapest in the country that I've seen...and has a tower.  Please share others!

• Baller

I'm not saying the price is bad.   I agree with you most of these are going around 25k.    The one I saw today was on Water Ski Swag for Sale on FB and was a 2000 for 16k.  I don't think a link would work

• Baller

Swing and a miss!

M_pags checked her out and there were few too many questionable things going on. Generally just a little rougher than what I want to deal with.  I'm pretty convinced the Sunsetter LXI is the boat for me, (great wake, walk through bow, large sun pad for lounging at the sandbar etc.), so if anyone knows someone considering selling in the 20k range, please shoot me a message. Thanks for all of the input and help.

-J

• Baller
On 6/9/2023 at 12:52 PM, JL5 said:

Swing and a miss!

M_pags checked her out and there were few too many questionable things going on. Generally just a little rougher than what I want to deal with.  I'm pretty convinced the Sunsetter LXI is the boat for me, (great wake, walk through bow, large sun pad for lounging at the sandbar etc.), so if anyone knows someone considering selling in the 20k range, please shoot me a message. Thanks for all of the input and help.

-J

like what?  

a 20k 20 year old design (that is still sought after) in better condition that that boat will be a tall order IMO.  

• Baller
On 6/9/2023 at 9:52 AM, JL5 said:

Swing and a miss!

-J

There was a 1999 SSLXi for sale here in the PHX metro on FB marketplace last week.  I don't have FB so I can't hunt it down for you, but might be worth a look.  If it's still there, I could go check it out for you.

• Baller

UPDATE:

Well, after M_pags checked out the Florida boat, I took his advice and held off with the consideration of spending a bit more for something nicer.   That 99 that UWSkier mentioned would have been an absolute steal, but it was gone by the time I joined the FB page. Oh well, I'm still glad that I held off on the FL 2001!

I found this 2000 SSLXi for 1k more, with less hours and in FAR better shape! I'm pretty psyched and hoping for decent weather in the next few days to get it out on the water.  Thank you for all of the input and advice.

2000 Malibu Sunsetter LXi - Google Photos

• Like 6

• Baller
1 hour ago, Vernon Reeve said:

I personally prefer the 2003-2006 Malibu Response LXI.  Less roomy, but IMO better wake and handling. By handling, I mean easier to get the rope to the skier.  And bat turns are fun for passengers that have never experienced one:)

I ski my 03 Sunsetter lxi and my partners 05 Response lxi regularly - the wake and handling is identical 😀

• Baller
3 hours ago, JL5 said:

UPDATE:

Well, after M_pags checked out the Florida boat, I took his advice and held off with the consideration of spending a bit more for something nicer.   That 99 that UWSkier mentioned would have been an absolute steal, but it was gone by the time I joined the FB page. Oh well, I'm still glad that I held off on the FL 2001!

I found this 2000 SSLXi for 1k more, with less hours and in FAR better shape! I'm pretty psyched and hoping for decent weather in the next few days to get it out on the water.  Thank you for all of the input and advice.

2000 Malibu Sunsetter LXi - Google Photos

Congrats, that's great news!!   I would change that prop out for an ACME 515 or 525 - i think you have one of the CVP props that are not safe

• Baller
5 hours ago, Ski_Dad said:

Congrats, that's great news!!   I would change that prop out for an ACME 515 or 525 - i think you have one of the CVP props that are not safe

Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question, but why is the prop not safe?

• Baller_

Assuming the stainless prop would be a CVP, which was OE in the day.  There are a few that flung one of the blades off due to the weld at the hub failing.

Edited by DW
  • Like 2

• Baller
23 hours ago, tjs1295 said:

Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question, but why is the prop not safe?

the CVP's had a bad history of tossing a blade - my boat came with it and i looked and all the blades were weak at the hub i replaced it immediately.  What a difference the Acme prop - smoother and better acceleration.  I just thought it was worth mentioning.

• Like 1

• Baller
5 minutes ago, Ski_Dad said:

the CVP's had a bad history of tossing a blade - my boat came with it and i looked and all the blades were weak at the hub i replaced it immediately.  What a difference the Acme prop - smoother and better acceleration.  I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Mine came with one of those too.  It's a bookshelf adornment in my office these days.

• Baller_

@m_pags Dewey started my prep school (Northwood School) and The Lake Placid Club, where I did a lot of my growing up. Before the advent of winter sports, Lake Placid, FL was to be the winter home for both. Hence the name change for the Florida property, which was a condition of its purchase. 

• Like 1

Lpskier