What do skiers need to break the barrier of 3 at 41?

FunoRyota

• Baller

Hi Ballers!!!!

Sorry if you guys already talked about this topic.
I've been watching live streaming and results of pro tour and clearly there is a barrier of 3 at 41(for men, maybe 2 at 41 for women)
What do you think they need to get more than 3 buoys at 41?
My guess is Speed. (not loosing speed around the buoy is a key)

I know there are so many other essential factors for 41 but looks like Nate is really good at not loosing speed(and time) at each buoys and that put him early in the course.

I want to hear your thoughts and knowledge.
I think it makes watching up coming event more fun.

Thank you!

• Baller

I think it is hard to fathom how much harder 41 is compared to 39 until you watch a lot of skiing at those line lengths.  I think in tournaments a lot of skiers will be happy with 3 as that might be the sweet spot between risk and reward.  I think it was 2 probably last year?  I think it all comes down to - is a skier willing to fall at 1 in order to go deeper at 41 - I'd say the top 10-15 pro skiers practice a safe way to reach 3 and also practice getting 6.

• Like 1

• Baller

Conversation with Nate, to run 41off you need the perfect gate, the window for error is very small, the gate shot has to be spot on.

Pressure of competition and varying water / wind conditions added to the equasion, makes it harder.

Edited by Stevie Boy

• Baller

Actually I see it another way. 

They don't need more speed, they need the ideal way of slowing down ENOUGH.

Once a skier can own 35 off, 38 and beyond is about slowing down ENOUGH. It's not about going fast enough. 

Suspect as per Nate's comments, gate timing, speed and energy margin for error is tiny. Too much and you there are probably quite a few 0.5s and 2 @. Same with any skier trying to run 38+ regardless of speed.

It's about slowing down. 

Edited by scoke
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

I agree with scoke. Gates one and 2 ball are the keys to the pass.and to slow enough  to come through with angle and manage the load created from such a short rope.  Everything is magnified multiple times as the rope gets shorter  

They all need to break past 3 ball to be competitive in the chase to catch Nate and Freddie.  

• Baller

If I remember correctly,  Jamie Bueschane (sp?) was quoted as saying the ski path required for 41 off was a margin for error about the width of a garden hose.  Again that's as I recall.  Pretty narrow, but I get his point.

• Baller

@scoke i think is bang on.  I’m only touching into -35 but even at -32 I find it’s more about managing position, timing and energy thru the gates, so that you can arrive on time at 1.  From there things kinda fall into place and the pass feels effortless.  If your timing is off or your position is off, or your path is off , it’s extremely difficult to get it back.  I can only imagine how much harder it as at -38 and shorter.