So you are in a slump....

Horton

• Baller

Revisit the script. E.g. you're focusing on step 4 but you forgot about steps 1-3, slump.

Perfect example this morning when I fell at 2 ball at 32 off 3x in a row "mysteriously". The video shows I was turning in on the tail at the gate every time, that tends to show up at 2. 

• Baller

In his book Mastery George Leonard called it the plateau. It's the part of the journey that happens before the breakthrough IF you frame it as an essential part of the journey. Then you can embrace the "flat spot" as a signal to break your practice into smaller frames and refine and adjust without expectation of performance. In other words, what @jhughes said. For me, framing it as a slump makes me look for quick fixes that end up being bandaids.

• Like 5

• Baller

Quit thinking about my turns, go back to leverage/lean.  Sometimes take a free ski set or two just to clear my head, take the pressure off, have some fun and hit the re-set button.  Then go back and a set of openers the next time out.  

• Like 4

• Baller

This is why video every time out is essential . So you can watch what you're doing (and not) and more easily see what the problems are.  Otherwise - Groundhog day....................  

Edited by MDB1056
  • Like 1

• Baller

For me, the slump starts to build as I try to run my hardest pass “smoother” which turns into me just being too slow and not high enough. I focus on gate height and speed and that usually brings me back. 

I know others ride different skis, change settings slightly, just to feel something different. I think this works but only for the honeymoon. 

Edited by rq0013
  • Like 1

• Baller

Slumps normally come, when you have over skied or tired, take a few days off,  then when you go back, Front Foot everywhere, chest up, stay calm.

Generally works for me, when it goes wrong and I am tired, I get on the back of the ski, whether it be arms or stance, normally that's where the problem is.

• Like 1

• Baller

I hate watching video of myself.  But last month I was in a slump and my wife secretly videoed me.  After reluctantily looking at the video I was dipping my shoulder on the pull out for the gate.  Next time out I concentrated on that one thing and it all came back.  

Maybe I should use video more. Hmm

Edited by PatM
  • Like 1

• Baller

Sometimes you need to re-invent yourself and do a major change to bring you back to reality.  We all have a tendency to ever so slightly wander down a rabbit hole after a certain number of sets and get stuck there trying to fix a problem that really started half a buoy back.  
Usually getting back to the basics at a longer rope length brings everything back and then you can move forward from there.  Video-ing your passes is a good wake-up call to change something if you are willing to acknowledge it.

• Baller
12 hours ago, skihacker said:

What if the slump is like 4 yrs along????? Just asking for a friend,

Hit the gym or bribe someone to tell you that you look like you lost some weight and then take your set.  Its like when someone complements your suit before a wedding.

Edited by BraceMaker

• Baller

PERSPECTIVE

Am I stuck in a rut doing the same things over and over and expecting different outcomes?

OR

As ICARNES suggested "It's the part of the journey that happens before the breakthrough"

I think most most Guys are on the money with their strategy, whether it be take a break,  watch video, ask a friend, change fin ski boat. Once you do this your perspective changes and you can see where you are on the map or journey and you then know instinctively what to do. 

• Baller

I was in a rut for a week. Blamed it on warm water. Fin settings were way off either due to someone dropping, stepping on ski, or Horton visited MN incognito. Reset fin and added a smidge of depth. All good again!

• Like 1

• Baller

Take a couple weeks off to let a nagging injury heal, stay fit and listen to SprayMakers episode 13 Stay Focused, and while I’m taking time off the water do what @thager said, checking my ski’s set up.

Edited by ALPJr
  • Like 1

• Baller

I stack the deck against myself and ski in very difficult conditions when I am feeling tired. I find doing this causes me to not overthink and simply focus on skiing with muscle memory and intensity. If you have a bad set, it can be expected because of the circumstances and it is no reason to beat yourself up. However, if you have an average or good set, it is a major confidence boost knowing you can power through hard conditions.

• Baller_

I vary my ski sets. Sometimes I run up the rope, sometimes I ski a whole set at a particular line length. Sometimes I work on skill A, sometimes skill B.  Sometimes I practice trick skiing or ride my jump skis. By avoiding daily repetition, I avoid slumps. 

• Like 2

Lpskier

• Baller

Slow the boat down and ski for fun. Normally ski at 34.2, so ski a set at 30.4 and keep cutting the line till I miss. 

Or challenge a ski partner to a "how slow can you go" competition. Start at your opener and keep slowing the boat down in tournament increments to see who can run the slowest pass.

Both actually force me to use good position and technique while also providing the most laughs/smiles.

Edited by MJE
  • Like 3

• Baller_

So I ‘ve been in a bit of a slump. As noted above, when in a slump, check your fin. So I checked my fin. Sure enough it had moved back 10/1000 and the rear set screw was missing. After fixing that, I checked my bindings (which are mounted on a slide.) I’d tightened them up recently but hadn’t checked to make sure they are were they are supposed to be. Well, I’m thinking that correcting a 5/8” slide forward will pretty much fix my slump. I wish I’d discovered and corrected that before Regionals. 

• Like 2

Lpskier