Slalom Ski (Handle) Path Physics part 3

lundberg

• Baller

This is an update for my effort to understand what is going on while I ski. 

It started in the winter with a parameterized matlab model of the handle path based on a swing profile.

part 1-

https://ballofspray.com/forums/topic/51107-slalom-ski-path-physics-matlab-model/#comment-846939

followed by a simple setup to measure the actual swing profile with rope tracking camera mount and phone app to record the gyroscope data

part 2-

https://ballofspray.com/forums/topic/51660-slalom-ski-handle-path-physics-part-2/#comment-850767

A couple of weeks ago I took a trip to StellaBlue and had a chance to collect some data in the course and have a great time skiing!  (Side note - I improve my PB almost a full pass, running 15off/34.2 (7 times), getting around 4 ball at 22off/34.2mph and around 3 ball @ 28off/32.3mph) 

Here are a couple of fun pictures from the trip (you should go to StellaBlue if get a chance)

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

So here is the data.  There is lots of info here, but I think it would be most useful for those who are trying to make a change and see / measure the impact.  Whether it is location in the course for gates, speed dynamics (think "fast vs slow" ski), differences between onside and offside, or "what is another skier actually doing differently than I am"....its all here.  If you collect some as I described in part 2 I'd be happy to "process" it for you.

(The plots are not to scale (x vs y).  I'll put one at the end for reference.)

@MarcusBrown

@AdamCord

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 6

• Baller

@Lundberg....I think you lost them at Matlab.....

@AdamCords college buddy Tom Pollock did this with us via dual strain gage on pylon at Trophy. 

See if you can head to Hilltop with Cord this weekend and get some data through 41 with your setup.   I'd say come here, but thats a long as flight.

• Like 1

• Baller

Your plots show min speed just before the bouy.  Seems to me you must continue to slow down through the turn until the boat picks you up and you start accelerating again.  This would mean your min speed would occur after the bouy.  How is speed measured (or calculated)?  Do you have an explanation for this?

• Baller

@ski6jones

@Kroeks has it right, the plots show the course starting at the bottom and running to the top. As you round the ball you slow down as the swing goes away from the boat and you are just starting to accelerate. The pink mark shows where the peak swing speed happens and the green where max speed over the water happens.   In the last plot you can see that my peak swing speed is just before centerline and the peak speed happens sometime later as your direction becomes more in line with the boat.  You can see how I'm getting later and later by how close the max speed is to the ball. You can also see how I pulled long to 6 and my peak swing speed was after centerline.

• Like 1

• Baller
On 7/21/2023 at 5:27 PM, adamhcaldwell said:

@Lundberg....I think you lost them at Matlab.....

@AdamCords college buddy Tom Pollock did this with us via dual strain gage on pylon at Trophy. 

See if you can head to Hilltop with Cord this weekend and get some data through 41 with your setup.   I'd say come here, but thats a long as flight.

@adamhcaldwell thanks for the encouragement! I reached out to Cord and could not make this weekend happen,  but I'll try again. 

• Baller
Posted (edited)

Big thank you to @pkulio for being the first to collect and send me data!  He has a nice set up running standard phone video at the same time he was capturing gyro and gps data using a ski doc orbit mount.  He was skiing 36mph running passes at 28 and 32 off.  The "handle path" at the bouy gets less accurate as the rope gets shorter as it begins to arc as the skier gets higher and more free of the boat.  It should still be accurate when the rope is tight behind the boat showing location in the course as well as cross course angle, directional speed and peak swing speed.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

PaulK_Set1.jpg

Edited by lundberg
improve image resolution (take 3)
  • Like 2

• Administrators

@lundberg I may not get time to set it up today but your stuff could go in the downloads section. That way files could be as big as you want - within reason. I will set it up when I get a chance.

• Like 1

• Baller

Thanks again to @pkulio! His data is great and is making me think about what sort of trends I can find.  Here is a look at a comparison of angle, speed and location in the course at centerline (gate, 1 to 2, 2 to 3.....).  If you pair this data with video you might be able to correlate small details with the impact on angle and speed, what the actual difference between an "easy" pass and a "hard" pass. 

image.png

PaulK_Set2b.jpg

image.png

PaulK_Set1b.jpg

Here is one of my 15off 34.2mph passes (at a minimum you can see that Paul runs and earlier line).

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

• Baller

Amazing work!  Just keeps getting better and better!  Down course percentage is exactly what I've been trying to eyeball for years and it's so cool to just see it laid out in a chart.  I nominate @lundberg for the Nobel prize in waterskiing

• Baller
On 1/8/2024 at 10:54 AM, Horton said:

@lundberg I may not get time to set it up today but your stuff could go in the downloads section. That way files could be as big as you want - within reason. I will set it up when I get a chance.

@Horton I was able to use the "downloads" approach to increase the resolution of an image, thanks!