Thoughts on a 2012 Malibu Response LX?

MitchellM

• Baller

I would appreciate any thoughts or experience with the 2012 Malibu Response LX.  Pricing suggestions would also be helpful.

While looking at a house yesterday, the realtor let me know that the owner is very interested in selling this boat along with the house.  He is the original owner and the boat has 430 hours.  This boat has been pampered and looks practically new.  Lives in an air conditioned garage.  Detailed regularly and has no visible blemishes.  You could eat off the engine.

2023072308343646--621030074266272473.jpg

2023072308343646-8511365027427362016.jpg

3.  I'm not sure what this type of open bow is called without a walk-through, but I don't like it.  Do you lower the center windsheild and have people climb over the dash?  I've never seen that and do want an open bow.

2023072308334540-8271864895490237831.jpg

• Baller

great boat for course skiing excellent wake at all line lengths.

the open bow front facing concept was popular for a few years in the early 2000s    looks like they have the snaps to cover the bow for cool weather because there is an opening below the seat to the main part of the boat.  

looks in very nice shape.  

• Baller
33 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Beautiful boat but off by at least 7 years on the age. That looks like a 2004 to me. 

I was questioning that as well.  It doesn't look like any 2012 malibu I've seen on line.  Owner was not at the house at the time.

• Baller_

I have a 2009.  Drives great and skis very well - I have video of 34/-22 through 34/-32 if you want to see the wake.

But, my boat does not have the bow rails and it has Zero Off (the boat in the pictures has PerfectPass).  I am questioning the year of your boat as well, due to those differences.  Plus, I had thought it would have the catalytic converters as well and the picture does not look like they are present.

Check the hull identification number.  It will tell the month and year it was made.

Edited by MISkier

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

HIN-Decoder.png

The letter in the Date of Manufacture is the month (B= February) and the number is the last number of the year.  

The model year in the example would be 2006.

• Baller
16 minutes ago, MISkier said:

I have a 2009.  Drives great and skis very well - I have video of 34/-22 through 34/-32 if you want to see the wake.

But, my boat does not have the bow rails and it has Zero Off (the boat in the pictures has PerfectPass).  I am questioning the year of your boat as well, due to those differences.  Plus, I had thought it would have the catalytic converters as well and the picture does not look like they are present.

Check the hull identification number.  It will tell the month and year it was made.

I hope to check later.  From looking at the instrument cluster and comparing with old Malibu manuals, this looks like a 2004LX.   Any thoughts on price?

• Baller_

I'm not a good judge on the market.  A few Response closed bow of similar vintage are on Ski-It-Again in the mid-to-upper 20s.  Given its excellent condition and assuming it is mechanically sound (drives/skis well), maybe something in the 20K to 25K range would be appropriate.  Check to see if the PerfectPass is StarGazer (and maybe even Z-box).  I didn't see a GPS puck in the pictures, though.

Edited by MISkier

• Baller

My buddy has a similar model (maybe a 2007). It skis fantastic but the Malibu cruise control and speedo are always off by a couple miles an hour. I ski at 34, so he has to set it at 32. No big deal. I know that he's not a fan of the step over to get into the front open bow but it DOES replicate a closed bow in terms of rigidity. And nobody uses the open bow anyway.

• Baller

Hey there I help people (friends/relatives) source used cars and boats.  My goal is to find well-depreciated perfection on the used market.  Look and performs like new but steep discount against new and now depreciating slowly.  If price is at all reasonable you buy that value.

If you don't like it in a year sell it, but that's a great ski hull, great barefooting hull, handles great.  That's a real buy.  

Otherwise if you don't want to buy it and he wants to sell it outright let me know I would have an interested party.

@bananaron care to chime in?

• Baller
3 hours ago, 6balls said:

Yes, a very comparable boat.  The owner is asking $21k.  I'm going to try and take it for a test drive this coming weekend and look over the service records.

• Like 1

• Baller

@MitchellM what you're looking at is 2003/04 as has the excellent injected Monsoon engine, has perfect pass and compared to the SIA year 2000 example has the newer dash layout etc.  Got to be worth a bit more than that older carbureted boat. 

We used to have a 2002 Response LX. Stepping over the dash was ok, but almost everyone needed to stand on the observer seat and that's never ideal. With bimini anyone needs to squeeze through height between dash and bimini & that's quite akward to do. We've no regrets changing to 2003 Response LXi with proper walk through. 

• Baller

I have had several however I prefer the LXI over the lx.The LX is a smaller boat however many people do like the way they ski and drive.They are a stepover and not a Walk thru which many people do not like.I had a 2003 and some people did not like the step over to get into the open bow.I personally think the LXI is a better all around boat and is more useful with a family.

• Baller
23 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Beautiful boat but off by at least 7 years on the age. That looks like a 2004 to me. 

i agree with UWSkier - that dash design says it's a 2004 or 2005.  I would say it's worth 15-20k  and will ski fantastic

• Baller
On 7/23/2023 at 8:02 AM, MISkier said:

I'm not a good judge on the market.  A few Response closed bow of similar vintage are on Ski-It-Again in the mid-to-upper 20s.  Given its excellent condition and assuming it is mechanically sound (drives/skis well), maybe something in the 20K to 25K range would be appropriate.  Check to see if the PerfectPass is StarGazer (and maybe even Z-box).  I didn't see a GPS puck in the pictures, though.

GPS puck is present right in front of the windscreen on the driver's side.  It already has the multi-line display.  A Zbox and SG upgrade should be pretty easy and affordable.

I have a 2001 with Zbox and it skis phenomenally.

I may also have a buyer if you don't want it.

• Baller

@uwskier nice spot on that GPS puck.  Yes this one the monsoon which is better than the comparator I found on SIA.  Sure a Lxi with a walk through would be desirable--but nice hulls in mint condition with the right features and a good price don't come along every day.  

• Baller_

If it is PerfectPass StarGazer and has the Z-box upgrade, it is intended to be as close to Zero Off as you can get without drive-by-wire and the eControls ECM.

• Like 1

• Baller
On 7/23/2023 at 9:34 AM, UWSkier said:

The year will be in the serial number (back right corner on the transom, I think).

My LX is a 2009, which, I think, was the first year Zero-off was available for the LX. So, if it is Perfect Pass, I would deduce it is older than that.

• Baller

Test drove and skied today.  It is a 2004 and a beautiful boat.  Gelcoat and vinyl are perfect.  Steering was tight.  Throttle response was immediate.  No vibration from the prop.  A little over 400 original hours.  Almost no wake behind this boat at 15 off at 30mph.

No bimini top.  Anyone have an idea of the cost of adding one?

Useless open bow area.  Climbing over the dash is not going to happen.

Should be a great first ski boat.

spacer.png

Edited by MitchellM
  • Like 6

• Baller

Buy it.  Even if the bow is not useful in motion, if you are at anchor or floating you will use it.  It's also easier to wipe down after use if you are on a boat lift to climb in the front and wipe.  If on a trailer that is no advantage.  Few boats are as nimble and throw a wake like that one.

You can add a bimini, could add a wedge if it doesn't have one for wake boarding--probably can surf it with wedge and some ballast bags, you could add a tower and have place for boards/skis off the floor with an integrated bimini.  All sorts of options.  Sounds like a fantastic buy no matter how you choose to use it but think big.

• Like 1

• Baller_

What @6ballssaid.  

Regarding the wedge, I’ve surfed mine with a wedge and a couple of strategically placed passengers.  With some ballast bags and maybe a wake shaper, it would be even better.