2024 Radar Vapor

ROBOT

• Administrators

2024 Vapor, the culmination of all the skis we’ve created to date.

Every time we build a new ski, we learn something; defining what bevel shape is best and which rocker line is most balanced is now rooted in our DNA. As we approached this new ski we reflected upon things in our past and learned from what we’ve tried before. The result is a ski that finishes the turn with more angle and speed than its predecessor and sweeps away from the wake with ease. By sharpening the bevel in the front half of the ski we created a ski that’s more intuitive as it enters the turn; this combined with narrowing the tail of the ski creates sustainable angle that can be carried from the finish of the turn through centerline. The balance you feel over your feet is a direct result of the rocker built into the shape of the ski. Our new rocker line flattens fore and aft of the wide spot providing a larger platform. This places you over the front foot with ease, making tighter, more consistent turns. Fundamentally, the lower rocker line dramatically improves feedback from the ski and leads to a more natural and intuitive feeling ride. The way this ski flows from turn to turn with the speed only a Vapor is known for will have you running more buoys than ever before. Ski it for yourself.

• Like 3

• Administrators

What I know about the new Radar –

The Radar guys have kept a pretty tight lid on this ski. From what I have gathered on the street this is far more than a refresh of the previous version and they are quietly VERY excited about it. I was in Orlando this spring and saw Whitney running back to back to back 39s. Now that is Whitney so maybe that is not the ski. I have seen other Radar team members ride the ski and look great but they are open level skiers so maybe it is not the ski. Last week I saw a skier at my level ride the 2024 and now I get it.  I am very excited about this ski. It looks really good. I will get mine in a day or two and ride it immediately after Nationals.  

• Like 4

• Baller
On 8/1/2023 at 3:57 PM, Horton said:

@Ali okay, maybe I should give fin setup advice but not life advice 😁

@Horton - I assure you @Ali can always benefit from fin advice but he’s got the life thing pretty dialed in.  I have a 66” and 67” for my son and I in the same box - can’t wait to give it a rip!  Might even ride it at nationals…

• Like 1

• Baller
On 8/2/2023 at 12:39 PM, ColeGiacopuzzi said:

@jjackkrash A lot of our team has been running Long/ Shallow on the 24. I would start with the stock L/S settings.  

It looks like the recommended binding distance changes based on Long/Shallow and Short/Deep choice of fin setting.  Is that right, or a typo on the website?  Also, is the measurement still to the very base of the new Vapor hard shell hybrid boot on a carbon plate?  Thanks in advance.  

Edited by jjackkrash

• Baller

I had my first set on the 24 vapor yesterday. I ran back to backs (28s, 32s, 35s) at 34mph. I turned one ball and said, “omg, wow!” As I went I 2. There’s not much movement you have to make to engage the sharper bevels. And once you do the ski just draws back towards center quickly. Cross course seemed maybe a bit faster or less effort than my 22 and 23. I’m in the L/S fin settings. Taking my 2nd set this morning. If all goes well, I’ll see what I can do at -38. 

Edited by rq0013
  • Like 7

• Baller

I set up the boy's 66" today; man I hate setting up new skis.  I have a hard time getting the same DFT measurement twice and fin length isn't much more consistent.  So stressful.  At least the single carbon plate makes boot measurement and set up easier.  Stock Long and Shallow settings.   Hopefully he gets to try it out Tuesday.  Fed ex didn't get here in time to set it up and ski it this weekend.  

By the way, I was tempted to get the blue, but he generally prefers all black-ish.  I gotta say, the gunmetal is real sharp, especially with the carbon plate and matching black boot.  

• Like 1

• Baller
6 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I set up the boy's 66" today; man I hate setting up new skis.  I have a hard time getting the same DFT measurement twice and fin length isn't much more consistent.  So stressful.  At least the single carbon plate makes boot measurement and set up easier.  Stock Long and Shallow settings.   Hopefully he gets to try it out Tuesday.  Fed ex didn't get here in time to set it up and ski it this weekend.  

By the way, I was tempted to get the blue, but he generally prefers all black-ish.  I gotta say, the gunmetal is real sharp, especially with the carbon plate and matching black boot.  

Do you have a ski stand of any description? If not it's far harder you need 2 hands free and the ski needs to sit still.  The tip on your sandal works great for measuring dft but setting it that way doesn't work.

Also you need a fin knocker snug your screws a bit and tap then remeasure, move set screws tap and remeasure.  If the fin moves with out a tap the measurement will move when you snug the box.

• Baller

First set on mine yesterday.  It’s my 5th vapor, set up long and shallow per factory specs out of the box.  I’ve been riding a NEO2 for the past couple of weeks, and this felt radically different. After blowing my first -28, i ran 28, a couple 32’s, and a pretty low effort 35.  Damn this thing builds angle!  I haven’t settled into the offside yet but once I get there I expect really good things.  Not enough time to dial in before flying to West Palm, but excited to try this thing at 38!

• Baller
10 hours ago, BraceMaker said:

Do you have a ski stand of any description? If not it's far harder you need 2 hands free and the ski needs to sit still.  The tip on your sandal works great for measuring dft but setting it that way doesn't work.

Also you need a fin knocker snug your screws a bit and tap then remeasure, move set screws tap and remeasure.  If the fin moves with out a tap the measurement will move when you snug the box.

I have a ski doc workstation.  The issue for me is eyeballing the calipers so they are straight back when you measure DFT; it's really just a guessing game.  Any micro movement off center changes the measurement.   Also, the calipers can (and pretty much do) dig into the fin when measuring fin length, which also turns measuring fin length into a guessing game.   At least if you believe that getting it within .001  of the "stock" setting is significant.  

• Baller

Significance is in the repeatability.

It's like the joke where the museum guide is asked how old the skeleton is and he says 60,000,006 years.  The guest says wow that's a really precise number how do you know, oh well it was 60,000,000 years old when I started working here.

So if you can only measure repeatable +/- .004 well you're not chasing .001

If you have a machine square exactly .5" wide hook that over the tail down the fin then extend the caliper square to that and remove the .5" and you'll get extremely accurate measurements there.

Edited by BraceMaker
  • Like 2

• Baller

I took my second set Sunday morning. I was excited to get back on it. Ran back to back -32s and -35s and wanted to try a 38 home…. Ran the -38! I haven’t come close to running a 38 for a little over a year now. My onside seems to be a bit cleaner and the offside is better for me. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have come out of my offside as good as I did at 38 on the last ski. Got the whole set on video so I could show all my friends, lol. Pretty psyched! 

• Like 7

• Baller
23 minutes ago, BraceMaker said:

\If you have a machine square exactly .5" wide hook that over the tail down the fin then extend the caliper square to that and remove the .5" and you'll get extremely accurate measurements there.

I have machine squares, got a pick of the technique?  

• Baller

@Mastercrafter As of now you have to go to the actual 2024 Radar Vapor ski page itself and the fin settings are listed down the page. I’m sure when the rest of our line is released they will be posted on the main fin settings page. I attached a photo below of them. 

IMG_8466.jpeg

Edited by ColeGiacopuzzi
Add photo
  • Like 1

• Baller

My boy had a tough time on the ski last night and I suspect setup (possibly my human error).

Last Vapor binding set up for both long and shall and deep and short was 29.25.  This year deep and short is 29.25, but long and shallow is 29.5.  He said it turned fine but was having a hard time getting swing (and it looked to me like he was abnormally tail heavy).  My instinct is to start moving bindings back toward 29.25 or switch to deep and short.

Or does he just need to stand differently on this ski?   Any thoughts?  

• Baller
SIZE SURFACE AREA MAX WIDTH SUGGESTED MAX SPEED TERRAIN RECOMMENDED WEIGHT
65" 344.05 SQ“ 6.749” 32-36 MPH / 52-58 KPH COURSE 110–145 lbs / 49–65 kg
66" 354.71 SQ” 6.853” 32-36 MPH / 52-58 KPH COURSE 125–180 lbs / 56–81 kg
67" 365.54 SQ” 6.957” 32-36 MPH / 52-58 KPH COURSE 160–200 lbs / 73–91 kg
68" 376.54 SQ” 7.061” 32-36 MPH / 52-58 KPH COURSE 180-220 lbs / 82-100 kg
69.5" 393.33 SQ” 7.217” 32-36 MPH / 52-58 KPH COURSE 200+ lbs / 90+ kg

• Baller

Coming off a 2022. 

This ski rocks.  Skis a really wide early line. Ran -28/36 first set which is not a known good pass for me. Third set almost through -32 and I’m rarely past 2 there. 

Does everything my 2022 did but better and quicker with less effort and input. Comes out of turns settled in right where I want it and holds its edge and direction really smoothly into the wakes. 

Factory long/shallow numbers, (which I was using on 2022) front boot back a hair at  29.375, 66”.  

Definite keeper. Good job Radar. 

IMG_7605.jpeg

Edited by Mastercrafter
  • Like 4

• Baller

The question of 41 off earlier in this thread,  when it comes to the men, clearly the skiers consistently getting deep or through the pass, not only have the talent but are on other makes of ski, if one of the Top Six Skiers we're on a Radar, how likely is it that they would run 41 off ?

I  have ski buddies on the EVO, who constantly shove the Podium and 41 off in my face, they have D3 inscribed on their internal organs, I  personally struggle with the D3 and much prefer the Radar, I do wonder why some of the Top Pros seem to go the D3 route.