2024 Radar Vapor

ROBOT

• Baller
On 8/7/2023 at 4:25 PM, Bdecker said:

First set on mine yesterday.  It’s my 5th vapor, set up long and shallow per factory specs out of the box.  I’ve been riding a NEO2 for the past couple of weeks, and this felt radically different. After blowing my first -28, i ran 28, a couple 32’s, and a pretty low effort 35.  Damn this thing builds angle!  I haven’t settled into the offside yet but once I get there I expect really good things.  Not enough time to dial in before flying to West Palm, but excited to try this thing at 38!

Can you comment on the NEO2 vs radar with respect to ride characteristics?  Which one is working out best for you? Thanks!

• Baller
3 hours ago, JoshMan said:

Can you comment on the NEO2 vs radar with respect to ride characteristics?  Which one is working out best for you? Thanks!

@JoshMan still getting acclimated to the ‘24 Vapor but here are my impressions.  Two totally different animals - vapor generates angle with much less roll than NEO2.  It flows through my onside amazingly well and is a fast, lower effort ski.  The NEO2 turns beautifully- offside is automatic- my only issue has been getting too deep occasionally on the onside.  I’m rolling the ski over significantly more on the D3 than the vapor - feels like the difference between a sports sedan and a race car.  

My offside is good on the vapor but I have to be more mindful than the D3.  
I’ve got both ready to go but feeling like the vapor might have more for me at -38, (which I’ve only ever run a few times) than the NEO only because it generates angle and width so well.  Only 4 rides in on the 24 so far, but I like what I see.   If I had to bet my kid’s 529s on a -28/-32, I’d take the NEO, -35 I’d ride the vapor…  

I feel it’s similar to my rides on the red and blue Denalis to some degree- think you just made a fatal mistake… point the thing cross course and bam,  you’re right back in it!  Hope this helps.  If I had to choose today, I’d probably keep the Vapor.  Two weeks ago I was so happy on the NEO2, I almost didn’t try the Vapor at all…

• Like 1

• Baller

I’ve had about 10 sets on the ski and ran a 38 on my second set and again this past weekend. From my previous post- I didn’t run any last year on my 23 but ran a bunch on my 22. Off to a great start and  I think this ski compliments me. I like the front to back stability and the ski comes through a little more and quicker for me than previous versions. 

Edited by rq0013
  • Like 2

• Baller

First ride today on my 66 .   Love how the ski comes around with little effort.  It’s still a Vapor rocket cross course.  Little less effort than my last few.  Went with stock L/S.  May bring the front boot back a hair before moving fin.  Felt different as I usually end up Short/Deep.  Anyone have tried other than stock numbers yet.  @ColeGiacopuzzi?? Only got a quick set in so more next week.

• Baller

Another set today .  Ran the stock Long/shallow again but moved Bf back to 29 3/8.  Was much better and balanced for me .   May ski one more set on those then go Short/Deep with some Cole G. Tweaks.  Love how it just turns without thinking about it .  Offside was great today .  Definitely less effort and speedy.   I see good things in the works 

Edited by C5Quest

• Baller

@ColeGiacopuzzi 30.5 6.935 2.465 0.760 9°

i took out a little tip and it helped but was really wondering about that boot placement. With the Vapor boot on the Vapor Carbon plate it had me as far forward as it could go. Running the Reflex release it’s really hard to get the rear screws in with it any further back than 30.25. I’m going to run one set in the morning without screwing with the fin but moving the boot to 30.25, like you suggest. Then I’ll move the fin and let you know.

Thank you for the help

• Baller

Those are the stock Short/Deep numbers for a 68 that @ColeGiacopuzzi gave you.  I’m trying both stock S/D and L/S on my 66 and playing with boot placement.   I’m also running the Radar Vapor Carbon plate with a Mikro-just.  On the 2024 I have found the same issue setting Bf.   I can set 29 1/4 for S/D and 29 1/2 for L/S.  At 29 1/2 I’m at exactly the forward limit of the plate, pushed all the way forward.  And 29 1/4 I’m at the aft limit due to screws rubbing the release mechanism mounts.  Didn’t have this issue on my 2023.   Luckily I’m fine between those 2 setting.  Actually been running smack in the middle at 29 3/8s as @ColeGiacopuzzi suggested to me.  
Using the small stainless round screws from reflex helps for mounting.  There is a notch cut out of the bottom of the reflex release mounts that allows the screws to slide under.   Just have to screw then down most of the way , then slide the plate where you want , then tighten down the rest of the way.   
I do wish the radar Vapor plate was thinner though.  It’s thicker and feels substantially beefier (stiffer) than the reflex plate and when tightened down I feel like it could be inhibiting the flex of the ski?  @ColeGiacopuzzi or @brooks any feed back or validation on this topic?

• Baller

@C5Quest you have to use smaller screws near the release so you can move the plate where you need to. I just messaged @aupatkingthe same thing. 

It maybe be thicker but it doesn’t inhibit the flex of the ski. If it's any validation It’s used by some of our pro team. Also I want to say @Hortonused it as well.

• Baller

I upgraded from the 2023 Radar Pro Build to the ‘24. I ski at 32mph.

The 2024 accelerates and turns even faster, and is more stable overall.

The third set in I matched my PB of 35’ off. This morning I ran 35’ off back to back the first time ever. That was the fifth set. Next time that happens I’m cutting to 38’ off. 

And - yes, I’m a very rough skier - if interested, see the first three passes below (Nov 5, 2023).

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQvwhrWaBTswxBZSEemBUPvusgz4A4U8C&si=D9YHHUBoTzNP6DWd

• Like 4

• Baller
On 11/6/2023 at 7:15 AM, aupatking said:

I agree with @Hortonon the “possibly boots back 1/8”. As soon as I went back with the boots, the world got better. @ColeGiacopuzzi I took my Reflex block screws to the bench grinder and then put them in backwards. 

IMG_1558.jpeg

Another fresh entry into the nearly limitless "why didn't I think of that" database

• Like 2

• Baller

Okay no replies from last post. Let me reword it. 
we all know that some skis will let you get back in a pass if you make a mistake or get behind a bit. allows you to scramble if needed. 
Then there are skis that don’t let you scramble if you get behind from a bad turn or whatever. 
Is the 2024 Vapor one that will let you catch back up in a pass or not?

• Administrators

@TLE skier

I think this is a super valid question that is also hard to answer. The short answer is yes you can scramble on the Vapor.