Get a grip

harddock

• Baller

after 29 years off, two complete knee replacements and some weight gain. I decided to give skiing a return.  I was once a tournament slalom skier. I put on some 72" O'brien jumpers and went for it. I just couldn't hang on.I  gave it a couple tries and before I got up the handle would just fly out of my hands. Any tricks or routines to get some strength back so I can ski again?

• Baller
1 hour ago, harddock said:

after 29 years off, two complete knee replacements and some weight gain. I decided to give skiing a return.  I was once a tournament slalom skier. I put on some 72" O'brien jumpers and went for it. I just couldn't hang on.I  gave it a couple tries and before I got up the handle would just fly out of my hands. Any tricks or routines to get some strength back so I can ski again?

Pullups and chinups will keep your grip in slalom shape.

• Baller_

Are you doing any formal strength training/going to the gym? Skiin is hard!  I had hip replaced in January, have been using a trainer twice a week since March and am in my best condition, especially core, in over 5 years (I'm 65).  After work out, everything hurts except my hip for 24-48 hrs but I can ski pain free again and have no limitations after surgery. My buddy has had both knees done, he skis pain free and works out regularly.

• Baller_

If you are on two skis, try doing a sitting dock start.  No drag through the water and thus no grip issue  

To answer your initial question, the single best exercise for water skiing, including grip, is dead lifting. If all you have are dumbbells, work up to 60 # bent over rows. That will strengthen your grip and your core. 

if all of that is further than you want to go, search “grip strength trainer”on Amazon  get one, throw it in the car and use it while you drive to and from work  

Edited by lpskier
  • Like 2

Lpskier

• Baller

Agree, build up to a heavy weight for yourself and dead lifts and continue to hold the bar at the end of your set until the bar is dropping put of your hands. Same with shoulder shrugs.

Over all strength is important leg and core. If your knees allow you to do squats do them finishing each squat squeezing your glut together straightening your low back.

And, yes the slow acceleration for the driver allowing you to regain that feeling of equal forces being applied to your feet and legs while playing a balancing game with the grip you have.