ANYBODY HAVE A J CRAFT BOAT

bananaron

• Baller

Just looked at several videos of this boat and for us old outboard fans this one looks very interesting.Are they made in Canada and the big dealer is Gordon Bay Marine?Has anyone skied and or driven the new boat.I assume the cost is less then a new DD even with the 200HP YamahaAny info would be great.How do they compare to the Dyna-ski...

• Baller

I skied a 19' with a 225 hp long time ago. Wake is non existant on those  and tracking fins makes  the boat  track very decently.

With a 250,that's a 65 mph boat !

Photo de produit de J-Craft 2023

Edited by Andre
  • Like 3

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

Hey Ron, I've seen the boats at the shows and they look amazing! My son just bought an old 17' and the boat is fantastic, with no wake at all. The new ones would be fantastic! We have a Prostar, and Nautique 196 and would also love a J.

• Like 1

• Baller
18 hours ago, bananaron said:

@Andre The new ones are 21ft now and come with 250HP Yamahas.How would you compare the tracking when you skied one to that of any of the DD boats you skied? The new 21ft ss is suppose to track really well and has no wake........

No comparison to tracking.  Ive spent aot of time in the older 17 and 19 footers.  Good for rec skiing not course skiing. Good for show skiing and footing.  The wake is Bigger on the new 21 but they apparently track better.  I haven't been behind one but know some who have.

The new big 4s motor is mass massive and blocks the rear view.

If you want a go fast boat and a ski boat this is definitely the one.  They're damn gorgeous.  Totally custom but not a replacement for a direct drive.

• Baller

@Killer For me at my old age and that I open water ski and grew up on outboards I would love to hav one.They have ZERO and I mean ZERO maintenance.My local MC dealer just charged me $1127.56 to winterize change oil filter and install a new impeller on the 08 MC PS 197.That is ridiculous and prices are going up every yr.I have had many DD boats since 1992 however right now would prefer the big outboard on a J-CRAFT.......

• Like 1

• Baller

He Ron at the dealer website that you mentioned.

Yeah it's no direct drive, but if you are skiing longer lines/slower speeds a barefoot outboard with tracking fins in the bomb.  No wake so learning proper stack is so much easier.  When I was a kid we had a barefoot Centurion and I was thru 32 off before ever seeing an inboard so I never dealt with a wake of any sort.  No dreaded 22 off hump.  

Coaching later in my life and seeing skiers ramp off the 22 wake I was like damn--how do I coach that?  Sure proper form blah blah it can be done but it still kinda sucks.  I have proper form doesn't mean I want to hit a VW beetle at centerline.  

Bottom line great for the recreational or non-tourney slalom skier even if they want to run some buoys.  While the J-craft is cool, I'd take my '91 Centurion Falcon if built to todays standards as just as good...and better.  A real tourney inboard with an outboard stuck on it--so layout, dash, windshield, center mount pylon, dual swim platforms, a rubrail that doesn't compromise the gelcoat at the rear of the boat, tourney style rear facing passenger seat with wrap around seating in the rear.  That thing was a great family ski/barefoot boat.  My nephew is living it up in it as we speak sold it to him a few years ago.    

• Baller
5 hours ago, bananaron said:

@Killer For me at my old age and that I open water ski and grew up on outboards I would love to hav one.They have ZERO and I mean ZERO maintenance.My local MC dealer just charged me $1127.56 to winterize change oil filter and install a new impeller on the 08 MC PS 197.That is ridiculous and prices are going up every yr.I have had many DD boats since 1992 however right now would prefer the big outboard on a J-CRAFT.......

Takes me an hour to winterize my nautique.  Couldn't be easier!  My 01 has never even been to a mechanic or dealer and I'm just an insurance salesman lol.

Working on the inboard is so easy.

I have no idea what's involved in maintenance for the big 4s outboards, can't see it being cheaper Frankly but idk.

That said the new J is gorgeous but if I was buying a J 'Craft it would be a refurbished 19' short deck and it would and a 225 Merc 2 stroke on it

Edited by Killer

• Baller

@Killer I have winterized my boats in the past however at 75 yrs young with 2 bad knees back and hands that need surgery it is tougher to do.Also have vertigo bad so that really kicks in when doing certain things.Cost of owning a DD is getting out of control for the average guy and I have owned many......

@bananaron hoping to hear more input. Are you talking Canadian dollars? I to love the idea of low maintenance, small wake. My driver (wife) who doesn’t ski often could use a crazy small wake for her knees. Question? How would one stay warm in one without windshield/heater. Is there an alternative heat source to deploy? Usually ski all year round accept for couple months (Jan & feb).  Looking at the videos, I also wonder why one couldn’t get that boom a little lower as well. Definitely like your taste in boats!

• Like 1

• Baller

Bananaron - I owned a 17' J-Craft and grew up skiing behind a 16' J-Craft.  Don't have any experience or time with or behind the new 21' J-Crafts.  But I have seen these personally at boat shows and marinas. 

The new J's appear to be very well built, lots of upholstery, lots of gauges and bells & whistles. 

The old J-Crafts were very basic - little upholstery, a few gauges, no windshield.  These didn't even have a stringers and only a 24" wide floor.  The seats were on the bottom of the boat which you saw flex in bumpy water.  

Slalom skiing, you could pull & tug these quite easily.  I only weigh 160 lbs and I could easily tug it while slaloming. Only 1 tracking fin, 2 on the 19' J-Crafts.  I cannot speak regarding the new J-Crafts.  

Ironically after owning & skiing behind outboard J-Crafts and when in the market for a new boat 12 months ago - I wanted a inboard tournament ski boat. We bought a 95' Malibu Response. We love it.  

Comparing my Response to our old J-Craft is like comparing apples to oranges. My Malibu rides better (slower yes), more room for passengers & gear and the swim platform is so much more convenient putting on skis.  I just feel now, the overall skiing experience for skier / driver / passengers is better with our Malibu compared to when we owned our J-Crafts.

I would caution if you consider an old 17' or 19' J-Craft.  I know our Canadian $$ may be tempting. But these boats haven't been produced in quite a few years - probably +15 years.  The boats I have seen listed for sale here in Ontario are usually butchered and in bad shape.  Decent ones hardly go up for sale. The main reason I went to a Malibu.

Good for you & your son MotoXR if you found a gem! Congrats!

Good Luck Bananaron with whatever you end up with.  

Hutch

• Baller

You are absolutely right bananaron, the new ones are much better built. Check out some of the many YouTube videos they have now put out. You can even see some of the factory tours.

I seem to recall one of the reasons they went to the 21' length was due to less stringent flotation requirements.i think they have 2 fins as well.

Note, they do have have some with mini transoms as an option to put your ski on. Also massive amounts of options to build your boat are available. If you get one, be sure to share pics....and good luck!

Note, still love our ProStar and Nautique 197, Yet the new J's would also be a blast.

• Baller

Interesting stuff. I would definitely need a functional windshield though. We're out on way too many cold mornings. I can't tell if Dyna-Ski is still making boats or not, but I would rather have one of their outboards. A 17.5 foot boat with a 150 hp would be plenty for my slalom skills. Probably good enough for some barefooting as well. 

• Baller

Yes gotta have a windshield.  Also would need to sit in one and get a feel for driver ergonomics.  Tilt helm(hopefully), throttle position etc.  Would prefer a rear facing observer seat that you could lift to get to storage.  In the J it looks to be just all open under there for stuff to come back and whack your toes.  Could move that rear seat forward a bit and create an upholstered sunpad over a storage compartment at the rear.  That rear gel corner is gonna be exposed to dock tie ups etc cuz the rub-rail is narrower than the gel.  Looks cool but the rail isn't protecting anything back there. 

My old Centurion Falcon Barefoot that I posted about above had none of those issues.  Great enclosed bow storage behind the rear facing observers seat, a real tourney boat windshield and ski mirror, tilt helm, nice ergonomics from seat to throttle and wheel.  Rear u-shaped seat also had storage behind it.   Rub rail was useful protection front to rear.  The Flightcraft's and Sangers were great, too.  Swim platforms and rope guide over motor.  Center mount pylon with fins underneath.  I think over 20 years later it could be done better than these J's which remind me more of Switzers, Checkmates, Hydrostreams. 

Ron just find yourself a used and pristine Malibu-Flightcraft Outboard--no wood, great build, better ski/driving and barefoot boat than this new J--and probably lots cheaper.      

• Like 1

• Baller

The new JCraft is truly a custom boat. If you wanted a rear facing passenger bench, they would make that for you. Same thing if you wanted the rear seat furthr fwd and a sun pad. 

If you have any other ideas, reach out and talk to them.

• Like 2

• Baller

Yes they are custom boat builders and you canorder different things and colors.Go to their website and you tube and watch how they handle.I think they would do very well around turn islands.I think they drive like a sports car.....I would love to on one

• Like 1

• Baller

As Jordan posted these are definitely custom boat builders ....and yes, you can definitely get a windshield if you'd like one.

Ron, you should come up and test drive one. If you do come up, pm me and we can take you out for a ski behind our Prostar. They are less than an hour away.

The J's are clearly not a tournament ski boat. However, with the Perfect Pass, they are definitely a sports car for the water and can still pull you through the course, barefoot all day or blast around at high speed.

• Like 1